“Fun and Informative!”
Review of Historic Speedwell

Historic Speedwell
Ranked #11 of 29 things to do in Morristown
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience life during the early years of the Industrial Revolution at Historic Speedwell. This National Historic Landmark site preserves the restored estate of Stephen Vail, proprietor of the Speedwell Ironworks, located nearby through exhibits and iron working artifacts. The most significant of the eight historic structures on the site is the completely restored Factory, where Stephen's son, Alfred Vail, worked with Samuel F. B. Morse to perfect the telegraph. It was here on January 11, 1838, where the first successful demonstration of the electromagnetic telegraph changed the course of modern telecommunications. A new hands-on, interactive exhibit experience awaits visitors to the Factory Building. Visitors receive guided tours of the Vail House and the Factory. The Wheelhouse, adjacent to the Factory, houses a restored 24-foot overshoot waterwheel, which still works today!
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I visited this site recently with my family for a special event. We had a blast! Not only did my kids learn about an important, but little known part of our history, but they also had fun - not an easy thing to do with history and kids these days! They recently installed a great exhibit on the history of the telegraph, and communications through to modern times, and my kids had a blast. They got to interact with a video done in a somewhat Monty Python-esque style on the original demonstrations of the telegraph at Speedwell. They were enjoying it so much! There is also a video timeline, audio interaction and so many "please touch me" type exhibits. We were initially there for a hands-on program for kids, but picked up flyers about upcoming programs that include an mid-19th century funeral program (held at night!), and a Civil War holiday program that looks like a lot of fun. We can't wait to go back! We spent a couple of hours there, and I can imagine spending even more time for these events. I absolutely recommend it for families or indivduals, and the price is right for the amount of history and entertainment you receive!!

7  Thank WearyTravelerPA
"invented"
"ironwork"
"miles"

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Enjoyable stop for those interested in history and for some good photo ops...Although we didn't have bikes, it looked like an attraction for cyclists and casual hikers.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

You should include this area in any local history trip. Just outside of town, it's easy to get to. I didn't know about the local Samuel Morse history.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Went there for a civil war re-enactment. Considering that there isn't that much to see, I thought that the admission was pricey.