“Old world Charm”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
London
“Old world Charm”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this charming older style hotel during the summer while visiting relatives in the area. We enjoyed a sea view toward the top of the hotel overlooking the sea.The view is spectacular and its worth bringing binoculars to look out to sea where you can view an enormous wind farm in the distance and of course ships and boats as they pass. Parking upon arrival was possible within the grounds of the hotel but only just .When you cant park within the grounds there is free parking right along the hill and seafront which was to my surprise still free. Hotel staff were very friendly and there is a lift to help you get your bags to your room. I found the food to be excellent ,the breakfast menu offers a good choice of food and the evening meal was quite delicious albeit not cheap .We did not eat in every night preferring to try other restaurants in the town.The hotel sports a good bar and comfortable seating . I have but one criticism and that is that our beds were far too hard for my liking. I cant say that every bed is hard as nails in this place but I could not sleep soundly in them which is a shame because in all other respects the place is just what you would expect from a well established hotel such as this ..During our stay a well known TV personality appeared at breakfast and to me this shows that the hotel is a good one .Service was first class.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view higher up to maximize your views. Ask to see if they have any softer bed...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stumbled on this hotel by chance and went in to enquire for room vacancies. The Receptionist was so helpful when i enquired about the size of the room, she offered to take get a colleague to show me the room. I had a good feel about the place and stayed!!

Room Tip: Do ask if you can view the room as they will be happy to do so.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tabaheights
Nothampton
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lovely room but pricey, £150 per night. We couldn't stay two nights it would have broke the bank and when we saw the cost of the sandwiches and it said 1 and a half rounds I laughed because surely you would give someone 2 however it arrived with crisps and salad and was a filling lunch.

I had pasta for dinner and had to swap with my brother because it was too hot in chilli and I had his roast pork meal which was no better in taste or texture. On the whole the food isn't worth the money. My lemonade was flat and I asked for a coke instead.

Apparently they are said to be the best in Cromer and everywhere seems to recommend them but first hand experience has told me that this is not true.

The grandure of the hotel tries to tell you it is something special with its stained glass windows but really it is just to dress up the poor service you are getting.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Maureen H
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

A group of twenty golfers had a great stop over at this hotel, well placed for both Royal Cromer Golf Course and Sheringham Golf Course both within a 10 minute drive. The staff were very friendly and courtious. The rooms where both clean and well equipped ie tea making facilities TV etc. and en suite. The bar prices are very competitive too and the food good old English fare.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ely, Cambridgeshire
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I have now stayed several times at the Cliftonville hotel in Cromer over ther past few years and we are beginning to like it more and more each time. The staff are all local and so friendly and helpful. They appear to know you and make you feel very welcome. The meals are delicious and the seaview look from the bedrooms are very special. Our last stay was between the 16th to the 20th September, 2012 and I can't wait for our next visit.

The walks in and around Cromer are very good and the nearby villages such as Overstrand are very nice. Well worth a visit.

Pat & Dan Stannard

Room Tip: All the rooms are very good and all sea facing. We always like the honeymoon suite or somerthing sim...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here recently for one night,it was not our first choice but other places were full. We were on a cycling holiday and had to ensure a bed for the night beforehand.My first clue of what to expect was the insistence of full payment at the time of booking. A whopping 150.00 for bed and breakfast in September and a whole fifty pound more than the previous night in a far more prestigious establishment. However with no real alternative I went ahead and booked. Reception was friendly and check in straightforward. We were allowed to wheel our bikes through the lobby and store out the back by the kitchens. Reception was smart and the bar had a pleasing welcome air. Clearly by its proportions it was a grand building in its day. The room,first floor on the left was a real disappointment, whilst large with a high ceiling it was full of cheap mismatched furniture. The tv was extremely small for the price of the room,as was the bathroom which had fittings years out of date and in need of a refit. What a mean little touch to not provide sufficient bathroom products.they were virtually cable tied to the side of the bath and wash basin. The bed was big but one of the most uncomfortable I have ever spent the night in. So firm you sleep on it rather than in it, quite like laying on a shelf waiting for morning. We ate in the bistro downstairs, meal was ok, service was polite but useless. No lighting of candle, and no indication that the waiter had noticed when I got up to replace our unlit candle with a lit one from another table, he had to be reminded of the beer order and never came back at all when we asked for ten minutes before ordering pudding.We sat next to the window and the Venetian blinds were in dire need of a clean,spattered with bits of food and wine drips. Spent an uneventful but fairly sleepless night and had quite a drama opening a window which would have been impossible if you were elderly as they were virtually painted shut. Breakfast was ok, plenty of it and done in traditional British b and b style. We asked for a window seat but were told they were reserved and they remained empty the entire time we were eating. By check out I just wanted to get out of there. I won't stay there again and I dont think the owners deserve the loyal customers they appear to have. Someone is making money here but at the expense of offering a value for money for the customer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 186225Traveller624
Big Sandy, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Cliftonville for 4 nights dinner bed and breakfast and although the carpets were a bit threadbare and the small bathroom was a bit of a disappointment we had a lovely time. We took our dog who was welcomed with open arms - he had a roast dinner with two veg every night for his meal served at the time we wanted and we took it to our room. He was allowed in the bar but not the restaurant or the Bistro. All the staff made a huge fuss of him and we didn't feel out of place taking him there.

The restaurant meals were very filling and tasty with a different choices each night - we were all stuffed to the brim. Our room was on the 3rd floor very near to the lift and had a magnificent sea view. The bed was a bit on the small side but could fault nothing else.

We will definately take our dog back next year for a longer stay in the summer.

Room Tip: Go for the executive rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
The Pheasant Hotel
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to The Cliftonville Hotel? Share your experiences!