“Another lovely meal”

Ranked #10 of 87 Restaurants in Cromer
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Red Lion hotel, bar and restaurant has a history dating back to 1766 when the inn was first built. Today we offer fresh, local produce, fine Norfolk ales, and 15 en suite rooms.
Trenance, United Kingdom
“Another lovely meal”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a visit to Cromer, we also had a couple of drinks in here to shelter from the high winds on one particular day. The food was, as it has always been here, amazing. My terrine starter and chicken and veg pie were tasty and delicious. OH had the mussels and belly pork, both to die for. The service was polite but not particularly friendly but I'm guessing they were busy.

“Ok.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Alright, bring a friend as the foreign girls serving aren't the friendliest. Stay away from the Poppyland local beers! I made the mistake of picking up a leaflet & going to the brewery.Really bad beer & you have to remortgage to pay for it. (I'm a CAMRA judge) not that it means owt, but when this guy charges you £14 for two beers & you end up forcing them down because you're too tight to throw them away it's not good.Some people would say they're very complex or challenging.Bollocks! Geuze is complex & challenging, I like it.In my opinion this brewery is just a tourist trap.

Cromer, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian unfriendly - bad food & service”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had probably one of the worst meals I have ever had Sunday night at the Red Lion. The waitresses took our drinks order and gave us a long list of all of the items they had sold out of. When the hostess/manageress returned to take our order I asked whether they really did only offer 1 - yes just 1!! - vegetarian option on the whole menu and that was sold out. She said that they did and that there was no other and then said "Well I suppose you could have a plate of roast vegetables". Her attitude was described by my friend as extremely abrupt, I would call it downright rude. She could do with taking a course in customer service! Luckily although I do not eat meat I do eat fish and ordered the plaice. When it arrived it was a piece of fish on a plate with a few lettuce leaves and 4 small new potatoes. It looked totally unappertising and didn't taste much better, very bland. Our drinks order took 20 minutes to arrive and in fact only just arrived before our food. My glass of Merlot tasted like vinegar. No-one did a check back on our table and if they had I would have asked for the wine to be changed. All in all a very disappointing experience. I have eaten here many times before and had good meals so I was very disappointed and won't be rushing back again. I find it astounding in this day and age there is only 1 vegetarian meal on the menu, the salads all had meat served with them too. Even the soup was pea & ham!! There are over 4 million vegetarians in the UK now and to totally ignore their needs is disgraceful. I have never felt the need to write a negative review on trip advisor before but this experience totally ruined what had been a lovely evening with a friend at the theatre and left a nasty taste in our mouths :(

2 Thank Lesley S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dogs welcome & Take away ale!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Lovely little pub attached to a b&b. it's dog friendly and you can even have takeaway of your favourite ale!

I had the seafood platter with my partner and it was really good, beyond pub grub standard.

Hemel Hempstead
“Good food and service”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Nice location by sea front, varied menu selection resulted in an enjoyable meal, and very pleasant staff