“Room 10 1st &2nd july”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was my first visit to Cromer although my husband has been before. We found the Hotel/pub very comfortable ,room pleasant with a nice touch of a welcome basket with a good variety of things if you wish to purchased them .The staff from the the managers down were all extremely friendly and helpful at all times and made us and our two dogs very welcome. the cuisine excellent with a good variety as neither of us eat Seafood there were plenty of other choices.We will certainly look forward to staying again in the Autumn

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Wife & I went into the pub. People were sitting at the bar all with drinks, no one other than us to be served. 2 barmaids having a bit of a natter, looked straight at us & carried on talking to each other. Stood this for a couple of minutes then walked out. To think I nearly booked to stop there, phew, lucky escape!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vic W
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked at the last minute for a weekend away I must admit that I was a little sceptical when I was told that only one room was available so needed to make a snap decision on wether to go or not but sure enough all rooms were full and I can understand why. The brilliant service and friendly approach we received from all the staff was excellent. Our room was comfortable and spotlessly clean but would have rather not had to climb to the second floor to reach it! (we're both cracking on a bit and found carrying our bags up a little difficult) We ate in the restaurant on the first night and although a little pricey it was excellent and as for the Breakfast I think if I had ordered and eaten the full english I may never have need to eat again. My husband was over the moon to find smoked haddock and poached egg on offer not usually something most places offering B&B serve. I would most certainly like to visit again but I have to admit it is a little over the top price wise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel/pub. Room was lovely, staff very helpful, food lovely and could take the dog. Food is more pricely than a cheap pub but the quality is excellent so we didn't mind paying. It is very close to the beach which is great for doggies. We would stay again.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am a regular at the Red Lion and cannot fault it. The food is excellent and the breakfast will keep you going all day! The rooms are lovely and cozy and even come with a little basket of goodies which are all reasonable but are great for a quick nibble! The staff are very friendly and helpful and bend over backwards to help you out. I take my dog who also likes it as she can go all around the hotel and sit in the bar. Well worth a visit at any time of the year. I got back yesterday and I am ther again next week! Go go go!!!

1  Thank Meg99
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed in The Red Lion for one night. I was staying in Cromer and so chose two different hotels, but I must say I was shocked at The Red Lion's listed prices and very grateful to Trip Advisor and the 'discount' companies, as I would have been extremely unhappy with this accomodation, had I paid the full price! So, back to my question, ''When is a pup not a pub?'', well you are all expecting me to say, ''When it is a hotel, too!'', aren't you? Well, no... sadly in this case when I tried to buy a pint of lager on Monday evening at the bar, with a choice of Lowenbrau, Stella, Amstell and Carlsberg. My first shock was £4.40 for a pint of the former, which I drank, with no head and it tasted awful and was flat. I then bought a pint of Amstell and this, too, tasted almost vinegar like, with no head. I complained to the woman who served me, who said I could have a different beer, but when I said it was the second 'different' beer and I was not impressed, neither with the taste and how it was kept, nor the price and I wanted a refund, the manager came over. Whilst he did refund me, my complaint that a venue of the 'apparent' calibre of The Red Lion should take more care of its ales, was met with, ''All the lagers are like that, there is a poroblem with the cellar!'' Well, fine! But then don't sell the beer, if it is off or going to taste off! Plus, at London prices in Cromer.... come, on! Stitch up and 'fleece the tourists'! I then looked at the menu to order some food and was horrified to see that they were charging something extortionate for steak and chips at around £22.00! All of the meals were massively expensive and (again) would not look out of place in a London venue, not a Cromer pub! My room was over half the price, via one of the discount companies and despite the fact I had a sea facing, double and an element of 'an attempt at style' was apparent, at full price, this would have been far too much money! At half price I felt it was average, too! Breakfast was in a closed restaurant area, but only closed with a curtain to the main bar and whilst eating the vacuum cleaner was buzzing around the rest of the large bar areas, with a distinct feeling of 'us' being 'tagged-on', to the main thrust of the business. The car park is small, but I managed to get in by 'staging' a reserved spot! There are 'reserved markers' floating around, so I presume most guests did as I did! The staff were all very keen and helpful, but I just felt that the owners were over pricing, over staging and somehow missing the whole point: it was just a pub! Plus, they lost my custom, not just for that night, as far as beer was concerned, as I found another pub selling an equivalent beer (Kronenburgh) at £3.40, a whole pound cheaper! But they also lost my custom for food, as other comparable restaurants/pubs were selling far cheaper, too. Although, having said that, I would warn anyone from visiting Cromer on a Monday night, as I could find nothing open for food at all! I did feel as if I had hit Cromer on a Novembers day (it felt like that weather wise!) and not on a summers, late afternoon. I had to make do with awful, greasy fish and chips (soggy chips), from the local chippy and again, for Cromer, just an insult really! So, not just The Red Lion, but 'Cromer: get your act together and learn hospitality and fair pricing and then maybe you would get more tourists!'

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank UK-Hospitality
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here whilst playing at Royal Cromer golf course. It's much better on the inside than it looks from outside. Great position overlooking the sea and the staff were very helpful. It had a good atmosphere inside with lots of different beers on offer. We ate here and the food was good quality but a little bit pricey. Room was good but a little too warm at night. Good value for money and I would recommend it. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have sea view so if you want one you'll need to ask.