“Wow”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Vietnamese cuisine- amazing. So fresh and crisp and full of flavour. A real gem tucked away in the heart of Sandy. Maddeningly cheap too. Open for lunch and dinner, eat in or take away.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We opened the door to an empty white tiled rectangular room, asked if they had a table for two, which they did, then went off to purchase a bottle of wine from a supermarket across the road .
Its a rather odd place to describe, its literally a rectangular room fully tiled in white. Tables and chairs are functional and might probably seat 20 - 25. I suppose its more of a takeaway with tables, rather cafe like. You could probably kid yourself you really were in some far more exotic location experiencing steet food, sort of.
The menu is a little bit odd to get to grips with, and staff weren't forward in coming to help. However as soon as we asked then help was quietly and politely given.
The food arrived promptly and was really good, everything fresh and aromatic, delicious flavours and really very interesting. For 2 people we had 2 starters, 2 mains (if thats the right term) and 2 portions of rice. That was an adequate amount of food although some might prefer another couple of dishes in hindsight. The bill including corkage came to £32 which we both thought was perfectly reasonable for a delicious meal.
If you want a smart place to go to and you're not too bothered about the food, don't go here. If food quality is your priority, with reasonble service and cost, then this is definatley a place to go to. We'll be going again I'm sure as soon and I'm in the area again.

1  Thank KerryDevizes
Reviewed January 24, 2012

nice food, excellent staff..i cant fault it and highly recommend it.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have on occasion had a lunchtime bowl of noodles at the Pho, always excellent. This evening my brother was visiting, he prefers Chinese food and I Indian, so we split the difference and went to Saigon Pho. As other's have remarked the Pho is tiny, only 20 seats. at least 18 of which were occupied. A little adroit table and chair juggling and we were seated comfortably. The young chap who was waiting tables took time to explain the menu to us although I'm not sure I understood all that he said.
We both had Chicken Satay as starter. I was a bit dubious as all my previous experience of Chicken Satay has been chunks of scorched chicken on a stick dipped peanut butter, but this was good; perfectly cooked moist chicken with a clear sauce of chopped peanuts and probably spring onions & garlic. Brother had Sweet & Sour Chicken for main with Vietamese fried rice and I had the Chicken Curry with the same rice. My curry was well cooked the chicken not at all dry, the sauce had a combination of flavours, spicy with a hint of sweetness and a fiery delayed aftershock.
Brother's sweet & sour was just that with a good combination of fresh vegetables cooked but still crunchy, a great texture.
The portions were large and we had difficulty cleaning our plates but we endeavoured to persevere and slackened our belts.
Overall a very decent evening, the staff are friendly and accommodating without being over attentive.
We forgot to bring our own alcohol so had soft drinks from the self serve display cabinet.
Two starters, two mains, four cans of coke, a bottle of water £36 plus tips.
Booking probably a good option Friday/Saturday evenings.

1  Thank dronkvaett
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I go to Saigon Pho so often I thought I should write a review.
The staff are so friendly and helpful considering they speak very little English, the best person to ask for is Hu (Hugh?) as he speaks very good English.
We are usually very experimental so we just normally as to be fed for £15 PP and we get a feast fit for a king! and is usually about 3 courses (less dessert).
The food is given with a chilli sauce so you can have as hot or mild as you like.
My fav dish is clay pot pork and is a must try dish.
They don't have a alcohol license so just take a bottle or few and they charge just a small corkage charge (you do use there glasses.
There is an off license not far and a supermarket so if you forget do not worry.
They do not accept cards so cash only.
It is only a small restaurant so booking for more than 2 is advisable.
Saigon Pho is a must try and I would reccomend it to anyone who likes good, affordable food.

2  Thank Claire23Bedfordshire