“SO GOING BACK!!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Ovacik
Dartford, United Kingdom
“SO GOING BACK!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

After many weeks of arguing with holiday companies about out of date websites we found the Celay hotel. Trip advisor rates it as the third most popular in the area and personally I found the description to be correct!
We arrived at stupid o'clock in the morning. We didn't like the first room and opted for an upgrade which was very reasonable considering that the air con, room safe and TV were all included in the £15 a night upgrade.
I have read the negative reviews on here and find them to be very unfair. At the time of staying there was a wedding party also at the hotel and I believe that the "noise" reffered to recently may have come from the wedding reception- We had a room over looking this reception and it certainly didnt bother us or our son! Apparently the night went smoothly and a great time was had by all. It was however rather "weird" on the day of the wedding to see a load of blokes dressed up in formal attire in a 40 degree heat!
The pool is great and big enough for everyone with plenty of sunbeds to go round.
Our towels were changed every day and the beds were made as well. (i also think that the sheets were changed more often than every 3 days but the staff made the beds up so wonderfully (swans made out of towels etc) that i cant be sure!
The bar staff are friendly, the manager is a big guy and has a really funny sense of humour and I guess that this isnt to everyones taste but in the 10 days that we were there we didnt see or hear of him upsetting anyone. He has a vast wealth of knowledge (ask him anything and he will find the answer if he doesnt know!) about the area, the trips, who to go with and what trips to do on what days so that you get to do a lot more on your holiday than if you asked the holiday rep!
The owner does sit in the bar area of a night time but despite previous comments is actually rather approachable and his wife is very nice as well!
As an example I left my camera in a taxi (oops) this was located by the owners wife within about 3 minutes of me telling her and was promptly returned by the taxi company!
Hamish Mcturk is your man for the Dalyan tour, he is turkish but has bright ginger hair. He certainly has a way about him and made the tour very enjoyable!
European Dive Centre in Fethiye are the people to go to for the diving in the area. An impressive safety record which is more than can be said about some other dive companies in that area!!! (one company left swimmers in the water whilst we were there! choose carefully!!!)
PLEASE DO NOT DO THE PARAGLIDING AS THE DEATH RATE IS HIGH! AND THEY SAY "NO LANDING NO PAY" which kind of speaks for itself!!!
Unlike some, the hotel doesnt push you into joining in with things such as Turkish night, karoake etc rather letting their guests find their own pace.
We are seriously thinking about going back in October this year as we enjoyed it so much.
To ALL the staff I say teşekkür ederim!
A very enjoyable stay, friendly and professional staff which is more than can be said for Thomas Cook who provided our flights and managed to break 2 suitcases, my dive camera and one of my dive regulators!!
Hotel also provides FREE pool table, FREE table football YOU ARE ALLOWED INFLATABLES IN THE POOL!!! FREE table tennis
The cat doesnt belong to the hotel!!!!
Bedrooms are ALL non smoking but all have a balcony which you can have one on!
Scenery is spectacular.
If you have read this far then you have done well!!

Room Tip: Ask and if they are available (upgrade required) then you shall receive

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Hotel was brilliant overall, rooms in deluxe block were very clean and modern. Showers were lovely! Met some great people staying at the hotel which made the holiday that extra bit more enjoyable.
1st holiday to turkey and was a very good one.

• Stayed August 2011
scotland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

have stayed in the celay last year and upgraded to deluxe family room no 147 had a great time so decided to book again for this year, we booked and payed for a deluxe family room, we arrived in the early hours and shown to our room which in my opinion was accomodation for 2 adults +1child or 3 adulds at a push not wot i was expecting the next morning i went to speak to the manager. he advised me that room 147 which isa 2 room app is not advertised on any website and why would jet 2 put 2 people in such a large space, my answer to that was i have paid for it . on returning home i have checked out the website of the celay hotel and they are advertising 2 deluxe family rooms i feel we have been seen off by the manager who always seems to no the right thing to say ,and the family rooms booked or not are being held back for profit for larger groups,if you are a family of more than three email the hotel direct and request room 147 in the new block if you want more space. last year we went in june and it was not as busy, there were a lot more sunbeds around the pool this year and not a lot of space between each bed, and some of the beds need relacing as they were colapsing, the evening meals i thought could maybe start a little earlier especially if you have small children 8pm is a little late and service not always speedy , we like the area and will probably go back not sure to this hotel.

Room Tip: if you want a family room contact hotel direct and stipulate no 147 this is a 2 room appartment
2 Thank ziggaScotland
CELAYHOTEL, Manager at Celay Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
You are one of our special guests and including the owners, myself and all of the staff like you very much but room 147 is really not contracted with any travel agents and you can check it with all the travel agents. Even the fact that this was really not our fault we have given you the air con and the late check out room on your last day for free of charge. We are really sorry that we could not make you happy this time. Regards
ipswich
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We arrived late at night and were really surprised that although the restaurant was closed they still managed to make us a snack and we were made to feel really welcome.
We were a little surprised to be offered a room upgrade but decided to go with it and it was well worth it. The rooms in the new block are much better- good power showers and very comfortable - would benefit from some pictures on the walls and an additional bin though.Towels were changed regularly and the rooms were cleaned every day.
Location wise the views are stunning but it is a little remote which we liked but our children were not so keen.Generally the hotel is quiet but some guests were a little inconsiderate late at night which was annoying. The swimming pool is brilliant, always clean and suitable for non swimmers and swimmers alike.
We were half board and found the breakfasts and evening meals to be more than sufficient with breakfast being fairly typical Turkish food and the evening meals a mixture of traditional and English food. We would have preferred more traditional Turkish food but the quality of food was good.
The best thing about this hotel has to be the staff who were always helpful and really made our holiday special. We really loved our evenings in the restaurant and will never forget Alomi cheese, water melon and pancakes! We had a romantic poet, a Mathematician and a budding Chef - who could ask for more? Seriously you were great guys - Sammy, Seder and TJher just brilliant and I am only sorry that I never managed to learn more Turkish. Also sure I have not spelt your names properly.
Orhan the restaurant manger was always helpful and polite and Emily loved his daughter Belrak.
The bar staff were also great - particularly Josef who was always helpful, funny and kind and plays a mean game of pool and table football. We really enjoyed talking to him and he always worked so hard and managed to be cheerful on little sleep.My daughter Emily loved him and really wanted him to come home with us so I hope he will be there next year.
The staff at reception particularly the manager were also really helpful and were very good when things went wrong with some of our excursions - nothing was ever too much trouble.
We found the evening entertainment variable - the Turkish night was good but apart from that it was limited as it would have been good to have had some more traditional Turkish dancing/ singing.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Celay. We had a few problems in the first couple of days, mainly with noise from the other hotel guests who carry on at 2 in the morning as if it is 2 in the afternoon, with no consideration of other guests. However that is not the fault of the hotel and the Manager had words with tthe offending guests as well as moving us to the delux rooms which were much more quiet, with a third knocked off the price of the upgrade as we needed two rooms being a family of 4. The rooms in the old block were perfectly adequate for the few days we used them and we wouldn't have even bothered moving if the guests staying there had been more considerate.

The staff were an absolute asset to the hotel, and were always happy and smiling even though they work very long days with llittle sleep during the summer months which is the norm in Turkey. They were happy to chat and even taught my husand some Turkish!

The owners were always around which I personally liked as they were pretty hands on. I certainly didn't notice a difference with the staff behaviour when the owners were around. The hotel dog is very friendly and my Son loved stroking him. The cat mentioned previously is a stray that does not belong to the hotel, but keeps coming back because guests fed him!

Breakfast did get a bit samey, but to be homnest we tend to have the same sort of things for breakfast at home every day and they are trying to keep everyone happy which is nigh on impossible. There were other options for a small additional charge, which was cooked to order.

We ate at the hotel a couple of times and certainly did not prop up the bar every night, and we were not treated any differently by the staff or owners, to those guests that did spend more money there.

Rooms were cleaned daily and bedding changed every 3 days (which is more than most people do in their own homes so those complaining about this have unrealistic expectations - if they want clean bedding every day with what they have paid to stay there, they should dig a lot deeper and pay out for 5 star accommodation if that is the sort of service they want). Bins were emptied daily, clean towels most days if we left them on the floor, which were sometimes necessary if we had beeen to the beach etc.

No problem with sun beds/parasols even though the hotel was fully booked.

It was a lttle bit out of the way, but the dolmus ran every 3-4 minutes to the bigger resorts, Olu Deniz/Hisranou is Mosque side of road, Fetihye other side and we found it ideal.

Take plenty of sterling and change there - you get a much better rate and they LOVE sterling. We took some, but had I known then what I know now, I would not have changed any over here as I got 2.68TL to the £,and over there it reached a high of 2.90TL

It is ridiculously cheap to eat out when you are there, and the trips are very reasonable. We used Pegas on the beach front of Olu Deniz for all our trips and I would recommend The Sanctuary for your Turkish Bath, it is in OLU DENIZ, next to Daphnes restaurant, down some escalators. It was brilliant and we were collected from our hotel and dropped back again by the staff. My daughter and I had a Turkish Bath, Face mask, full oil body massage (bliss) manicure and pedicure for around £50 for the both of us.

Lots of positives, only a few negatives, and we are looking at going back next year.

Room Tip: Speak nicely to the Manager!
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We have just finished a weeks holiday here and intend to return. The staff cannot do enough for you! I have food allergies and Orhan (I am really sorry if I have spelt this incorrectly) made sure I always had plenty to eat. The food half board is great. It is cooked fresh, is plentiful and delicious.

We upgraded in England and these rooms are lovely but if you haven't done so, do try to upgrade as these rooms are really nice. The beds were really comfy and we got a really good nights sleep. We wanted our beds double rather than twin and the manager - Urug (Again I am really, really sorry if I have spelt this wrong and humbled because his/your English is incredible) made sure it was done later that day. Urug never stops working and again anything we wanted to know we just asked. He couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating.

The lady who cleaned our room was always cheerful and smiling. We had amazing swans made with towels on our beds with flower petals. Wow! I didn't want to get into bed because I would spoil them.

We asked for air conditioning when we arrived at three o'clock in the morning and said we would sort it in the morning but our receptionist happily went to get the control straight away and explained to us how to use it. We never found the staff to be anything other than lovely and helpful.

I have read the negative reviews but can genuinely say that that was not our experience. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the pool area is immaculate. We have generally wandered down to breakfast between 9-9.30am and there has always been a choice of sunbeds.

If you have a bottle of water from the supermarket it is cheaper but all of the restaurants and hotels charge the same when drinking it on their premises. We have been half board but have eaten out occasionally at lunch and everywhere the food has been of a good quality.

I agree with other reviews about how to get around. The dolmus are cheap and frequent. We have walked into Hisaronu and then got a taxi or the dolmus back. We have also got the dolmus into Fethiye. The Tuesday market is an experience!

We have had a brilliant holiday. Thank you!!

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are a delight!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed August 31, 2011

HOTEL:
When we first arrived at hotel in middle of the night we thought OMG where have they brought us!! because at 5am in the morning it looked like we were in the middle of nowhere, however the next day once we had seen the area and the hotel we were really happy with the hotel. its all very nice & clean and not outdated like most hotels are when abroad!

AREA:
If you come out of the hotel & walk to the bottom of the hill there is your local newsagent, and also bus stops so you can get the bus into either Olu Deniz or Hisaronu or Fethiye. The bus is the cheapest way to travel with it being between 3-5 TL pp (£1-£1.75pp) depending on where you want to go, and if you have a young child with you, sit them on your knee & you wont have to pay for them!!! you can get taxis we got 1 taxi into Hisaronu (which is closest town) & it cost us 12TL which is around £4.20 so still fairly reasonable/cheap. If you dont want to get bus you can ask hotel to ring u a taxi or if u walk out side the hotel there are lamposts with buttons on them, to press to call a taxi! These buttons are good for older people who aint very good at walking.

ROOMS:
We had 2x standard rooms we slept the 1st night with the balcony doors open and we then realised we didnt need the air con. The air con is a fee of £4 per night or u can upgrade to the bigger rooms for £15 a night which also included air con & a TV! We had 1 twin room & 1 double room, both were very clean and tidy. Beds were made everyday. the only thing i have to say is if you have any rubbish to be moved from the rooms you have to put them near the bin otherwise the maids don't take it!! i suppose this is a good thing really because then you know the maids ain't going through your stuff to see whats rubbish or not!! We were a little annoyed at 1st as we wanted rooms together & speaking to rep they said they can move us together on the following Tuesday once the rooms are available however after spending the couple of nights we didn't end up moving we were happy enough with the rooms we had. I was woken up a few nights in the first week due to my noisy neighbours (kids) but i complained and then it was sorted then they later went home, this isn't the hotels fault its just purely the noise holiday makers who were unfortunate next to me!

FACILITIES:
main swimming pool, baby pool/ jacuzzi, free sunbeds (which you dont have to rush down to, as you will always get a bed any time of day) a snooker table, a football table, free wifi in bar which also reached out rooms especially when sat on the balcony!! Hotel reception also has money changing bureau. We were getting 2.60TL for £1, but if you can hold on to your money we were getting 2.85TL for £1 in Hisaronu!!! Still a good price though for a hotel. There is also a gym and spa which you have to pay an additional fee for.

FOOD:
We went half board which means we got breakfast and a 3 course meal every night. Drinks were reasonable at 4TL a soft drink & 2.50TL large bottle of water. when arriving at hotel and realising our main meals weren't buffet style we were honestly disappointed, but after staying here and having the food, we are actually very pleased that it wasnt buffet style. The 3 course meals were out of this world, you get a choice of 2 starters, mains & desserts to choose from every night. when receive the starters you also receive a naan style bread with a garlic butter for extra. I can honestly say the whole 2 weeks we stayed there, we never once had the same dinner twice, and every single night the choices were different, i don't know how they can come up with so many nice dishes. The food is defiantly 4 star, from the choices, way its presented to the taste. everything from pasta dishes, chicken wrapped in bacon, curries, stir frys, sausage & mash, absolute brilliant. the food is cooked fresh once you have ordered it, only bad thing i can say about being half board is that the food does take a little while to come out, and a lot of the dishes are served with rice and chips! the breakfasts were typical Turkish, don't expect any sausage, bacon beans etc!! its just toast, eggs, fruit & cereals with fresh juices or tea! We also ate at the bar pool everyday. again very reasonable priced everything was also very nice club sandwich, pizzas, chicken burgers, beans on toast, fried egg on toast and the chips were proper chips!! sliced from fresh potatoes, not frozen french fries!! the only faults i would say is they need to have more of a 'kids' menu for the half board instead of just chicken and they also need to organize the food better on the Turkish night, becasue they way they organized it the holidays makers were like vultures when going for the buffet style food!

STAFF:
The staff were absolute brilliant couldn't fault them at all, we had such a laugh with them esp Joe & Nani! They were always there too help, and made the entertainment fun at night aswell from karaoke, bingo, quiz and the Turkish night aswell (which is free for those on half board!) They even let us choose the music around the pool!!! Also my little sister has stayed in contact with the chef/managers daughter. There are no lifts in the hotel, not that they are needed because theres not that many stairs but the staff were very helpful with helping with the luggage, even right up until we went home & had to put luggage in the coach. Some of the staff even waved us goodbye which was nice!

OTHER STUFF!!
if your not half board or plan to eat out just 1 night, like we did, go to the chinese above the Azda in Hisaronu its absolute gorg and well worth the money. we got a set menu for 1 each for 18TL (£6.31) and we got 2 starters, a main, a side dish & desert! if we knew how much food we got we would have had 1 set menu between 2 people!!! Also DONT go & watch the MJ tribute act with breakdancers, after waiting nearly 2 hours for him to come on, he done 1 MJ song (like a robot, defo not MJ!!) & the rest were jst break dancing to random music, absolute crap & waste of time! Also go to the Fethiye market on a tuesday as you will get LOADS of bargains. I got a bag which was 40TL in all the shops in the town & at market i got same bag for £5 english which is 14.25TL so big difference. And make sure you still haggle with them coz they will knock the prices down!!!

I think this hotel is suitable for absolute anyone, oaps, families, you couples, groups of friends etc

I had the most relaxing time on this holiday i didnt want to come home. the atmosphere to the food & weather were just brilliant.

if you need to know anything else then just ask :-)
hope you have a lovely time if you do decide to go, im sure you will!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovacik
Monta Verde Hotel & Villas
Yel Holiday Resort
#7 of 103 in Oludeniz
Sunshine Holiday Resort
Gokcen Hotel & Apartments

Been to Celay Hotel? Share your experiences!