“Excellent Family Hotel”
Review of Destina Hotel

Destina Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Ovacik
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here for 10 nights from August 2nd with my girlfriend.

Pool & Sun Loungers

Big size pool, has an upper small pool with a few sun loungers also, hotel was full so if you want sun loungers you need to put towels down before 7am.

Food and drink

The all inclusive I found was nice, it got repetitive after a week but thats what usually happens, the breakfast needs big improvements. It is just egg (omelettes,fried, pancakes) cooked for you on different days and bread basically. Lunch & dinner was better with more improvements with a different meat everyday.There is also some snacks then at 3-5pm like pizza and chips. Drinks start at 11am and finish at 11pm (which i found early). Big volumes with the vodka and rum, Beer is tuborg, they DO NOT do cocktails.

Rooms

Small but very clean, cleaned everyday by the cleaners. Only there to sleep. Full air-con.

Entertainment

Probably the best part of the hotel and why people come back every year, 2 men gadget and gizmo do the day and night entertainment. Daytime is water polo, basket surfing, aerobics etc and in the night they do bingo, live dancers quizzes. They are very very funny and if you are in a family they will always come over and talk to you etc and say hello.

Location

In the mountains so you have a slight breeze so it dont get as hot as down in olu deniz. Hisaronu is a 10 minute walk down a hill where there is alot of bars, restaurants and shops etc, pretty cheap in certain places. But we got a taxi back up (£2.80) due to the hill. We went out most nights after all inclusive. Olu deniz is a 10 minute dolmus bus ride once in hisaronu where there is more stuff to do and a beach. There is also a free bus to the beach (blue lagoon) everyday at 10.30am.

Excursions

We paid £20 each for an all day 12 island boat trip which is a must, Jeep safari which is very fun and a trip to fethiye market and ghost town. Very good prices on excursions. Just go down to town and get a deal.

Overall this hotel is worth the money, it is only a 3* and should be 4 i would say. We paid a bit more cus we went in school holidays but if you went in may/june it would well be worth the money! The staff are pleasant and will talk to you. The reason I rated it 4/5 is because the breakfast could be improved, the room sizes which i didn't really care about and the all inclusive finishing at 11 not 12 or 1. Entertainment stops at 11 & there are no cocktails, you have to pay.

A good holiday overall and enjoyed are selves.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CallumRichards
There are newer reviews for Destina Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is clean and in a lovely area, high on a hill side, the view from the terrace is lovely, it reminded me of beetle juice, looking down onto Hisaronu.
Staff where friendly enough, It would have been nice for the manager of the hotel to have more interaction with guests as he was their everyday and night.
We booked the holiday through THOMAS cook, the rep was nice and new the area very well. We did not book trips through the rep. But used the local agents in town, I would recommend the quad bike as we had such a good time, and safety was always 1st, we used a company in town called Seaside. Rooms are cleaned dally and light and airy the air con. Good. Their is however a inch gap which allowed light not your room at night.
This hotel is not suitable for families with small children as their is no clubs for them to join or the choice of food for kids is not a great choice. Gadget and Gizmo are a great double act and entertain everyone through the day and night, you certainly notice when one of them is off.' The plates and Bowles where often dirty and the tops of the cold food area was dusty and looked like this had not seen a clean for some days. Drinks where served till 11pm and then chargeable. Food was good, puddings tasted the same. Overall I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wilkins69
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was my families first time to Turkey, there was 10 of us ranging from the ages of 11years to 80years, we all thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and would recommend this hotel to anybody. We booked this whole package through Thomas Cook. We felt that our holiday rep wasn't as good as she could have been and we felt she should have interacted with us more during our stay but did tell us all about the different places and things to see around Hisaronu and Fethiye at the welcome meeting.
When we got there we were welcomed with a smile and a helpful bell boy which helps when your arriving in the middle of the night.The staff there were amazing and lovely to be around, they were also a great laugh and very friendly.
The day and evening entertainment were Gadget and Gizmo and they were fun, friendly, energetic, a good laugh and always made you feel involved in things going on not matter what your age.
There was always plenty of food at any given time of the day, lots of variety within a buffet setting making sure you never go hungry. From 11am till 11pm you can get any drink you want from soft to alcoholic drinks. The location is a beautiful place where we felt safe with many of places to see and go, the locals were very welcoming and friendly. Being up in the mountains gave us a constant breeze so it didn't feel that it was as hot as it was. If there was one thing that would slightly put me off it would be the late night noise, but this was not the hotels fault this was down to inconsiderate guests. The cleaners were lovely and friendly and did a good job in the rooms, made them clean and tidy with a different bed design everyday! This complete package holiday was very good value for money and will definitely be coming back again! Amazing place, amazing people!

5  Thank Gaby_Griffiths
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A nice small scale hotel set in the Mountains of Ovacik. Room was basic but immaculately clean, sheets and towels changed daily, air con worked well, only downfall was the sound proofing of the room. Plenty of room around the pool area and always managed to get a sunbed. pool area cleaned and swept daily and pool was very clean. Drinks and bar service were great. Food was a little hit and miss but overall of good quality but maybe more hot choices could be available. The view from the restaurant was fantastic especially the sunset in the evenings. The snack bar serves pizzas every afternoon too! The staff were very friendly always asking how you are and joking around. Gizmo and Gadget kept all entertained with their friendly antics. Reception staff need to work on their personnel skills as quite abrupt and rude! The perfect location for couples or families with teenagers as the lively Hisaronu is on its doorstep however not much for small children. If you want an clean basic hotel I would highly recommend the Destina and hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Maybe the top floor would be a quieter option
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Booked this through Jewel in the Crown holidays - superb service and would definitely recommend them as a tour operator.
Cost of holiday was very cheap so didn't know what to expect, but needn't have worried.
Rooms clean and tidy and comfortable (and as shown on the Destina website).
Food was nice. Not much variety, and each night was quite similar, but we enjoyed it. You don't get a Full English Breakfast each morning or a Sunday roast, but why would you...you're in Turkey. Only criticism is that they could do a better job washing up the plates.
Day time entertainment included pool volleyball, water polo, morning exercises in the pool. My boys did the volleyball and water polo each day. Gadget and Gizmo do well to get people involved without hassling you if you're not interested.
Evening entertainment was ok - quiz, film night, turkish night, etc. Word of warning - don't try and google the answers on your phone on the quiz night otherwise you WILL get thrown in the pool.
Location is good - nice views of the sunset, 15 minute walk to centre of Hisaronu - £5 taxi ride back up the hill.
Lots of people staying here are repeat visitors which says a lot.
We enjoyed our holiday, got it for a great price and would definitely recommend it.
Not sure I would recommend this hotel for families with young children, but fine for teenagers and adults.
We booked the scuba trip via our operator which was good. One of our group decided not to dive, so they got most of their money back and only paid as a non-diver on the boat trip.

1  Thank vbmam
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Destina is a lovely, friendly hotel. It's true the rooms are very compact but we dont go on holiday to sit in our room and it was perfect for what our needs were, nicely decorated and kept immaculately clean by the hardworking staff. The shower was powerful and the water always warm and plentiful.
Breakfast alternated over 3 days freshly cooked omlettes, pancakes and fried eggs. and usual buffet style fare.
Lunch and dinner had soups, fresh bread and many different salad choices and a mix of dishes with sauces covering them such a mayonnaise or yoghurt. Some did look very strange but be adventurous and try a bit as you may be surprised and find you like them. There were always a few hot choices but perhaps not as big a selection as you may be used to if you have travellled All Inc before. We enjoyed everything we ate, it was well cooked and tasty. We understand we are in a foreign country so the food is not going to be typically UK style and that is fine by us.
The dessert selection was huge and also comprised of fresh fruit .. I don't eat any of the cakes but I believe from my sweet toothed partner that although they looked spectacular they were a little tasteless. To be fair it isnt Mr Kipling making them is it !
Snacks are great with the pizza being sooo delicious it was hard to resist even when you had eaten lunch.
A little selection of cakes and biscuits come out around 5ish and seemed popular with everyone.
The drinks are the usual, Pepsi, Fanta style Orange and Lemon, 7up and the alcohol is lethal. Beer is Tuborg up here but Efes downtown.
The hotel is spotless and all the surrounding areas are well tended with the staff working very hard in the searing heat.
I think they would benefit from air conditioning in the reception area as it gets very warm and this is where you can access the free Wi-Fi.
The entertainment is provided by Gadget and Gizmo who, it's true, are like the hotels very own Ant n Dec. Very funny and really make your holiday really enjoyable if you will just let yourself go and dont take yourself too seriously. They are silly ,cheesy and have everything needed for a fab time.
Hisaronu is about 10 minutes downhill, no problem down in the sun or up in the dark but when the sun is out up can be a bit of a trek. Taxis back up are 10L (about £3.60).
Shops are plentiful and sell similar in each but great fake bargains can be found. Lots of places to eat out with most doing set menus for a cheaper fixed price.
Something I think should be mentioned on here is my experience with the Jet2 rep who visits every Thursday at around 1pm. We came on a Monday as 2 families of 3 and unfortunately on the Weds night around 8pm our friends had a call to say they had been bereaved. My friend had tragically and suddenly lost his beloved father. The family were absolutely distraught and wanted to go home. They felt unable to cope with arranging anything so I stepped in. I called the number for emergencies on the Jet2 board in reception to enquire what our next step should be, as it states that if you require any help to call them. I initially spoke to a person called Mustapha who told me the rep was off but he would give me her mobile number .. so I called it ... The conversation went like this :
Me : Sorry to bother you but one of our party has been bereaved and would like to make arrangements to go home.
She : This is an emergency number.
Me : I understand that but this is an emergency !
( How much worse than a death can you possibly get ?)
She : Well, it's my day off and I'm down in the town having a meal with a friend.
Me : Erm Ok
( Our friends wife was crying next to me and sensing I was having a problem was getting agitated )
She : All I could do for you anyway is find a flight home and you can do that yourself as the hotel has Wi-Fi or you could call Jet2UK and they will try and arrange it for you.I will be round the hotel around 1pm tomorrow if they want to speak to me.
Me : Do you have the number for Jet2UK?
She : It's on your paperwork.
( I was FUMING but really didnt want to cause a scene when my friend was in such a state so I just hung up. We were terribly upset after this and felt very let down in our time of need )

All the time I was being assisted by Ece who works on reception. She dialled the numbers to make sure I got through, she spoke to Mustapha in Turkish so it was clear what we needed. She held my friends hand, comforted her and got her a glass of water when she became upset by it all. I think she was also in total shock at the response I received by the rep. Anyway, I called Jet2Uk who were very good and arranged a flight with my friends having to pay and try to claim it back on their insurance. They said they would send the rep an email to arrange transfers.
The next morning , and after Gadget had very kindly said he could take them to the airport if needed, they received a text from the rep.
' Hi this is ***** , Sorry for your loss. I have arranged transfers for you going at 6.20pm. if you need me I will be in the hotel at 1pm.
My friends had to go and find her the next morning but all she seemed to be concerned about was the security on the airport. She did not offer words of comfort and her people skills with them and myself were abysmal but she will have to live with that and hopefully if she reads this she will understand how her actions affected all of us and perhaps avoid the same happening to another family.
Finally, I would like to pass on my sincere thanks to Ece, Gadget and all the staff who offered myself and my friends everything they needed to help through the difficult time. I don't think I have ever witnessed more caring people than at the Destina and the Owner/Manager should be proud to have them as his staff.

Room Tip: We were on the middle floor at the end of the corridor away from the stairs so didnt hear too much...
11  Thank debnchin
Reviewed August 6, 2013

we went to Destina 21st july till 5th August we got there late so we did not see much till the morning we found the hotel small but nice and clean the rooms are small but for the time you are in them it's not a problem plenty of room for your clothes ...the breakfast was a little poor really and the rest of the meal's where good plenty of salad people did moan a little but you cannot please everyone all the time ..because the hotel is small the people who where there chatted with each other and we met some very nice people ..if you are a little fed up of eating there you can go into the town for a walk its not that far and all down hill i would recommend if you want to not sweat a lot go in the evening its cooler and we walked back or sometimes got a taxi ....the entertainment was good better than some places i have been gizmo and gadget are good they make the hotel what it is i think ... i want to say a big thank you for looking after me when i fell by the pool i was taken to hospital and everything was fine the staff and bosses was brilliant with me it was a accident no one was at fault but me not being careful ..this was a good holiday and when my family turned up without telling me it was even better me and my husband will be taking my daughter's next year ...now for my niggle more thing's for breakfasts tea or coffee or a drink of squash on arrival would have been nice instead we had to get from they paying bar when all i wanted was a cuppa i can understand it was after 11 but when u arrive they offer you a cheese sandwich which was dry you need something to wash it down with lol and why can we not have tea of coffee thing's in your room for when you are awake at daft o'clock time and not have to wait till 8am for a cuppa ....and this is not the fault of the hotel but the people who went out till early hour's in the morning remember people are trying to sleep and they where small children who's parent's would not have been happy with being woke up then a little rude i thought ...all in all role on next year

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank pennyyorkie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovacik
Yel Holiday Resort
Sahra Su Holiday Village & Spa
Hotel Greenland
Hotel Greenland
#15 of 102 in Oludeniz

Been to Destina Hotel? Share your experiences!