“Noise noise noise !!!”

Ranked #14 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reading, UK
“Noise noise noise !!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

And no I don’t mean boisterous tourists at all hours of the night, scraping furniture or noisy neighbours, but the 5am call to prayer, the 5.30am owl, the 6am cockerel and the 6.30am bright sunshine coming in the windows !!

Turgay was number 1 when we visited in June, I see it has now dropped to number 7 which is a shame as we couldn’t really fault it. Yes its not 7 star luxury but it gives you a good stay for the price. Icmeler is a lovely place and the Turgay apartments very charming, located in the old town a stiff walk from the beach but the Dolmus stops virtually on the doorstep. I agree with everything already mentioned on here really, exceptionally clean, quiet ( that’s the guests) as it was early season, the barman hassling for dinner reservations, the bacon sandwich, but Josh was an exceptional host, very attentive, very helpful and of course most importantly exceptional English language skills. We would have used the bar more but no Wi-Fi so we stayed out in Icmeler / Marmaris for most of the day as unfortunately we need constant communication with work and the kids.
All of the local restaurants were good…all within an easy walk, mostly English clientele, and too many to review and you don’t need me to tell you which ones to avoid you can see that from the road . We are wine drinkers and the wine was very poor and pricey, the best was the house wine at the Wembley, or Tutsan Cabinet Sauvignon from the supermarkets. A lot of the restaurants laid on enertatinment from about 10pm… again pick and choose your taste. We ate dinner at the Turgay once… sea bass…it wasn’t exceptionally great but OK.
No TV, no phone, no radio, no coffee mugs just the small ones. Twin beds in a separate room off of the main good sized living area, enought wardrobe and drawer space for us two, large and powerful shower, plenty of hot water, no freezer compartment in the fridge. Good size balcony with plastic chairs and table.
There is a book library created by previous guests and a quiz night but really it’s just a bit of fun for 30 minutes, the Turkish night we missed as we were early season and they hadn’t started yet.
There is a convenient supermarket nearby but not much opportunity to dine in your room with only a two-hob hotplate to work with…. Ideal for breakfast on the balcony though. The Turgay prices for food and drink were comparable.
They spray the local area for mosquito’s at night.
Plenty of boats trips to try, all reasonable priced, Olu Deniz, Rhodes if you want to go afar
You don’t need much TL as you can pay in £GBP almost everywhere….. at a better rate too as they round to 3:1
Airport was small but modern, when we arrived there weren’t many planes on the tarmac so passage through was very quick…. you walk right through the departure lounge/shops when you arrive… then out of the airport door to the awaiting taxi drivers with boards and holiday reps all nicely lined up in an arc…. it was probably the most civilised airport I have ever arrived at. There is a duty free just as you exit the airport, we found best value was on the plane. Our private taxi took 1hr 45 minutes, indifferent views until you get to approaching Marmaris, sweeping vistas down to the seas. On departure you go through a security/x-ray machine as soon as you walk in the front door.
Highlights
Easy promenade walk to Marmaris, better in the evening with the restaurants overlooking the harbour filled with Gulets and the occasional liner, some had a roof terrace for an even better view, better than Icmeler where the beach lined restaurants seemed to lack atmosphere. I’d check your Wi-Fi before ordering though, nearly all offer free Wi-Fi but we found the reception very hit and miss.
You must use the Dolmus, just make sure it’s the right one , flag it down and give the driver your money…2.5TL… simple. So frequent, all day and quite late in the evening.
Alternatively there’s the water taxi’s from the two jetties on the beach, one to Turunc and one to Marmaris… 10TL but they won’t go if they are not full and if you are the only two waiting they won’t go at all.
Josh arranged the 5 bay boat trip with his cousin for us, highly recommended trip out, 25TL with the opportunity to swim off of the boat and also shop in Turunc…. shop meaning fake designer clothes, sunglasses and watches….. not much else!
Turkish bath – we got a cheap deal from the kiosk at the front, cheap as they load on the extra’s when you are there--- the photo, the massage, the oils, but still very reasonable, a taxi picking you up and dropping you off ( so you can’t use the excuse I have left my money in the hotel !)
Hope this helps but overall I thoroughly recommend the Turgay and Icmeler as a vacation spot, I couldn’t really fault any of it ( apart from the Wi-Fi and the noise of nature!)

Room Tip: Maybe ot the top floor, you get a better view of the scenary but they are shaded from the evening su...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisBReading_UK

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just got back from the best 2 weeks ever at these apartments! I was a little cautious after reading some reviews and wondered what we would end up in but I shouldn't of worried.
Me and my 11 year old son arrived at 2 am and were greeted by josh who took us up to our room, the next day josh was very quick to help us as we had discovered a wasps nest, he moved our stuff into another room in seconds and that very day had the nest removed he was so helpful and kind checking we were ok even days after. The apartments are in a breathtaking setting and are extremely pretty themselves, very well kept and the cleaners keep the rooms spotless even did the washing up for us! The rooms are basic but I don't go on holiday to cook so didn't need anything if you moan about stuff not being in the room it clearly states what will be in there so it's your own fault, plus you would be crazy not to love it here. Everyone was so friendly always on hand for a chat or to help out with something, the food was the best I had whilst in turkey,i would of eaten there more if it had wifi, the Turkish night is a must, good fun and great food.
Turgay has a great location just the right distance to the bars etc and I have never felt safer around the area and at the apartments, as they are small we talked to everyone I would say about 90% of the people who came and went while we were there had been there for the past few years, and I can see why. I have recommended these apartments to anyone who will listen and cant wait to return I'm just upset that I have to wait till next year.
Feel free to ask any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely I personal will go for a bottom floor next time
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vickytcheshire
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have returned from 2 weeks at the Turgay, had two apartments. Turgay really is a little piece of paradise. The owners and staff were simply the best, Josh and his Parents, Duran, a lovely genuine person, friendly, always had a smile, never once were we pressured to eat at the apartments, Duran was so helpful and kind. We ate at the apartments on several occasions, breakfast, snacks and evening meals, The quality of food was 100%, all freshly cooked by the owner. The Turkish night is a must, again the food was amazing and such good value for money, it was a fantastic night, so much laughter and fun. Apartments were cleaned every day, clean bedding and towels regularly. Pool was kept very clean, loads of sunbeds. Small complex which gave a very friendly environment. Easy 10 minute stroll into the town, 15 minutes to the beach. Would we stay here again, absolutely, looking at next year already. Simply the best, thanks to everyone at Turgay. x

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here in July/August with my parents and my son and his girlfriend in three apartments. The rooms as previously mentioned are kept lovely and clean with the maid coming in every day. They are fairly basic, you won't find hairdryers etc but we knew this before we came and brought our own so this wasn't an issue.The pool was lovely and kept very clean, although I was out of my depth at 5'2" so not great for non-swimmers, although there were plenty of li-lo's, rubber rings etc lying around for everyone's use.

We didn't really do much in the way of self catering apart from making up some rolls and cutting a watermelon up. I dont think you would be able to cook a three course meal here, but who would want to cook when you can buy a full English breakfast for example for £2.50 in the restaurant? It would cost more than that to buy the ingredients yourself and then you'd have the washing up to do too! Our only critisism would be that we could have done with a sharper knife to cut the bread, but we managed with what we had.

We didn't get hassled by Duran, he was lovely and always had a smile for us, and what a great sense of humour! All of the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one - we even got to share their Turkish tea! Thank you!

We would definately stay here again, in fact I am sending my daughter here next year with her boyfriend. If you are looking for a nice relaxing, clean, pretty, good value apartment you will love it here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at Turgay at the end of July and had a wonderful time. The place, a family business run by Cosan (Josh) and his parents, was an oasis and we cannot fault the service or the facilities. The pool was great, and there were always more than enough sunloungers. Duran was a lovely chap, all (genuine) smiles, and nothing was too much trouble. Yes, he did seem a little disappointed when we didn’t eat there every night, but he was never pushy.

When we did eat there the food was very good – especially the food at the Turkish night which was excellent. My grandmother was Turkish and I could tell that the meze (starters) had all been home made by the owner’s mother as they were absolutely delicious, authentic and made with love and care.

We booked our stay back in February when it was rated number one in Icmeler and there were no reviews below “very good”. We then looked it up just before we left and it had suddenly dropped from the top of the list – but all 3 poor reviews were within 3 days of each other – suspicious or what?

Put it into perspective: this place is rated 3* so it is not top end but neither are the prices. It is in TURKEY – so why anyone should complain that there is no toaster and no tea mugs is beyond me! Not sure what the other reviewer was talking about when mentioning a missing waterfall and knocked down pool bar – we were able to eat and drink outside every evening if we wanted to (and never saw any low flying birds when we did eat inside), there is always someone on duty at night. Also, not sure how an extra £30 for aircon and £10 for safety dep box makes you “have to factor in an extra £100”.

All in all, fantastic value for money and I will recommend it to anyone who asks me for advice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We chose this hotel after reading the reviews on tripadviser and were not dissapionted , we stayed for two weeks from 13th-27th july, from the moment we arrived 3am!! Josh who we discovered the next morning is the owners son could not had been more helpful through out our stay recommending good local( Turkish) restaurants and things to do and see, if he can help he will !! Servat Duran the King of ice cream sales+comedy, always a smile and something to make you laugh yes he will try and tempt you to eat and drink in the hotel but please be aware this is how he earns a living if you decide not to eat there you are treated no different, Mr+Mrs Turgay (cook and bottle washer) always serve a good wholesome meal at a very good price, ate there 4 times for dinner and everyday for lunch,Turan the young trainee again always a smile but not alot to say just yet , which will change when he masters the English language !! The cleaners work very hard and keep the rooms,balconies,stairways etc spotless,linen changed every 3days,pool and area cleaned daily,plenty of sunbeds for all with mattresses.Location was ideal for us near to the town (15mins) but far enough away for peace and quiet, if you deciede not to pay for air con and leave the windows open you will get road noise,
In our opinion not suitable for young children or clubbers !! Saying that we cannot rate this hotel/appartments highly enough .
We should not be writing such a good review because we will return next year and do not want it to be fully booked !!!!!!!!
Thank you to everyone at Turgay for making our holiday one to remember we will be back .

Room Tip: Staircases may be restrictive to less able bodied
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My mum and myself spent two weeks in Icmeler 11th-25th June and what a wonderful time we had. The Turgay is the perfect place to stay, and a perfect location being 10-15 mins to centre and beach. Josh is so helpful and nothing is any trouble, my mum struggled a little being on the top floor, josh asked if we wanted to move to lower floor, we replied it was ok, Josh even offered his help to move our things, we stayed where we where but as i say nothing is a trouble! Servat was very friendly, funny and may I add a great dancer! We did not eat the entire holiday at the Turgay but when we did the food was excellent which was cooked by Joshs Mum and Dad. It was spotlessy clean, and lovely touches when returning from our room to see the towels creativley designed into swans, hearts etc. The fact that there is only 19 apartments is nice as you really get to know everyone.
Are we going back next year? You bet we are and cant wait.

Room Tip: Although only on 2nd floor mum struggled a little with stairs
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family