“Beautiful nature and British prejudice”

Marmaris Park Hotel
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Novosibirsk, Russia
“Beautiful nature and British prejudice”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've just come back from Marmaris park where my family spent two wonderful weeks in July. It's my second trip to Marmaris, the first one was 7 years ago, and i'd say I can't resist the charm of this town, it's special atmosphere, liveliness and cosiness in the same time. I chose the hotel carefully because it was my first overseas "experience" with 3 year-old son so it had to meet both my and his expectations and most reviews i'd read about Marmaris park were truely positive.You won't find anything posh, chic there but general impression it gives is relaxation and pleasure from watching the beautiful surroundings and breathing sea air filled with pine aroma. My sea-view room on the ground floor in a bungalow ( about 20 metres from the sea)made me feel like living on the beach.The sea was wonderful-clear, calm, warm enough to inspire you to swim. I admit, sandy beaches are more fun for kids, but my son learnt to jump into the sea ( from the pier), which is great for a little boy. The beach isn't crowded, with a plenty of free sunbeds. The swimming pool area isn't that tranquil. Surprisingly, many tourists prefer chlorine pools to the salty sea so most sunbeds are occupied and it's much noisier than on the beach.
Well, now some words about Russian monsters, colourfully depicted in many British reviews, who spoil everyone's holidays I'd read about it before my trip and during my stay in marmaris park hotel i tried to find the examples of Russian "rudeness" and on the other hand, the .signs of British politeness. I agree the Russians hardly ever smile to strangers, but The British don't do it either. I've seen a British smile just few times, i haven't heard any "good morning or hello, and it seems to me only middle-aged ladies say sorry. Generally speaking, the British don't look less unfriendly or cold than the Russians. Actually, I watched the British mostly at mealtimes, because they normally spent their days around the pool, and i didn't participate in the hotel's "nightlife" due to my kid. To be honest, the atmosphere in the cafe is far from relaxing, it's real bustle , but i don't think only the Russians make it. It's a common situation in all buffets. I didn't notice any problems queueing for food besides fruit. I'm wondering why people make such a fuss about it. The Russians complain about lack or a little choice of fruit in the hotel and the British complain about greedy Russians. Well, I don't believe somebody was starving there, but if you want to enjoy your meal it's better not to choose "all inclusive" and go to the restaurants for dinners. Personally, i try to avoid any queues and pushy people, it doesn't matter if they the Russians, the British etc. Making stereotypes in your mind can attract to you only people who suit it Be friendlier, more polite yourself and you'll see people with charming smiles around:-)

13 Thank elena089

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our first time in Turkey and what a great selection of hotel to choose. First lets get that bad points out of the way, it is true what has been said about the Russians, yes there are a lot of steps and that really is that, oh and a few noisy crickets. !
We went not really knowing what to expect other than reading the reviews on here so it was great to find that not all reviews could be relied upon as the accommodation and the welcome we received was first rate. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and were greeted by polite and pleasant staff who offered us something to eat and then showed us to our rooms,where the air condition was switched straight on as the temperature even at this time of night was in the 30`s. This worked superbly and during all the time we were there enabled us to sleep easily every night. Our bathroom was modern and well appointed with a really good shower and fresh towels were provided every day. We were also lucky to have sea view although a bit restricted due to all of the trees that the hotel is situated amongst.
This hotel is situated on a steep sloping terraced location with steps and ramps joining the different levels, it borders straight onto the sea front where concrete pontoons and platforms have been erected enabling guests to relax on the plentiful sun loungers under umbrellas if you wanted, arranged around the site enabling easy access to the refreshing clear sea water below.
If you need a drink or something to eat whilst your on the front then the bar/cafe served cold soft drinks and pizza or snacks most of the day. A beer or other alcoholic drink could be got from the poolside bar which was up a few steps behind. Also down on the front is the water sports area which we found to be first class and very reasonably priced with numerous activities available
Being down by the sea edge there was always a cooling breeze going which believe me when the temperature reach the late 40`s you really appreciate.
The pool is fine, a straight forward rectangle with a childrens section at one end. It was clean and cool and didn`t ever seem to get over full even though the hotel was fully booked. A few wasps occasionally but no more than in the UK and they were not aggressive like the ones back home.
There were organized games and activities arranged by the entertainment staff who tried there best to get everyone involved although not being pushy with it.
Meal times were signified by Russians moving away from the pool to hover outside the doors to the restaurants where they hustled and bustled there way to the food with the dead pan miserable faces that only they seem to have mastered, and manners to suit appropriately! Having said that the food was excellent, plenty of variety which catered for most diets (we had vegetarians and out and out carnivores in our party and they were all happily fed).
We went to the Turkish restaurant, on site,for one of our meals which was in the all inclusive package for one visit during your stay and that was a pleasant change with waiter service and authentic Turkish fayre. We could have chosen the fish restaurant instead but this is what the majority of our party wanted to do.
The whole complex was immaculately clean with ground staff constantly cleaning the site. The waiters were very also immaculate cleaning away finished plates and going about their jobs in a manner that did them great credit having also to deal with the ignorant Ruskies like they do.
We did go out on trips and as has been stated before Jimmy Boy was the man for the job. He was spot on for what we required choosing both to do a Boat Cruise and a Jeep Safari. The boat cruise was especially nice as it was to celebrate my 50th birthday and Jimmy also managed to arrange a cake with candles which the crew presented to me nearing the end of the trip. It really was a perfect day and one I shall remember for a long time. If you get the chance go on it, the scenery and atmosphere is fantastic.
All in all this was a fantastic holiday, I did here some people say that their rooms were not as nice as ours (we stayed in the bungalows) but we have to go by our own experience. Not one of our party got stung, bitten or were ill, although some did get sun burnt (well,what do you expect )!
There were lots of other facilities on site as well, the wife used the health spa which she really rated. A hairdresser, both mens and womens where I had a hair cut, ear singeing and cut throat shave,quite an experience.
There is also a small water tube/shoot that goes straight into the sea and an outside park gymn.
This hotel has a lot going for it with its fantastic location and views and is a real treat for a Turkish holiday
Would we go back, that`s a no brainer......YES,YES, YES !

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow room away from the main hotel as they are quieter and seem to be better appointed...
2 Thank Roscoe2
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

First time to Turkey and I must say really impressed on the whole beautiful country lovely people. However I agree on the comments about the Russians who do spoil the hotel with their lack of manners and no respect for fellow holiday makers and staff. I stayed for a week on a girls holiday and my friend stayed for 2 weeks. If you ignore the rudeness and learn to push you will be okay. We arrived 5 in the morning to the sun rising and had a walk around the grounds. The views are breathtaking and the pine tree setting is beautiful and has a great jetty there are sunbeds there and around the pool. There are lifts in the main bit of the hotel. It certainly kept us fits up and down the steps we had a bungalow apartment on the second floor away from the main hotel. Room was clean we had a shower rather than a bath. Everyday they would put a big bottle of water in the fridge. The food was not bad with plenty to choose from providing you got there first don't be surprised after getting your food not to see a couple of Russians sitting at your table when you get back. It was amusing to watch the Russians fight for the water melon and apricots. Within one minute the plate would be empty and the staff would put more out I lost count how many times it was replenished. We even watched someone fill up their bag with 6 plastic cups full of chopped up water melon and apricots. The Thomas Cook reps that are there daily had no get up and go. However, Paul who was our rep was very good and informative and we booked a trip with him. The evening entertainment was poor apart from the Turkish night that was really good. We enjoyed the disco in the evening but good do with a few 80's songs thrown in. There was a nice outside bar area around the disco floor. George the bar man who always had a smile for you and you hardly had to que to get a drink which was good. The only thing you had to pay for is the ice creams.

We spent a lot of our time in the sea to cool down rather than the pool. If you want to see more night life you can walk into Icmeler takes about 40 minutes or catch a water taxi or bus to there or Marmaris town I would go back because it is a beautiful country with plenty to see. There was reports of lots of wasps I saw a few mainly this was down to people dropping there melon on the floor and leaving it. Overall it was a nice hotel and I had a great week there and the weather was fantastic we even experience an earthquake there on our first day but thankfully it was not a bad one.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank nan074
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed July 26, 2012

excellent 10 days at the marmaris park.set in beautiful location with pine tree,s and panaramic seaviews.hotel staff very friendly and polite and remember your names and orders .animation team very good especially casper from denmark arranging games fro children and adults during the day with entertainment and disco on evening. food was very good with lots of choice,pizza bar on beach also excellent and you can feed the fish with the scraps.turkish a la carte excellent.if you want to go on trips see jimmy boy how will give you a very good price alot cheaper than going through your holiday rep.we went to rhodes for the day 3 of us for £110 by catamaran which took about an hour.rhodes is stunnning.we met some lovely people in the hotel mainly british but also some from the ukraine .try the jet ski really exciting. pool and bathing platform really good and could always get a sunbed.weather was really hot 52 during the afternoon[high factor suncream a must].rooms were very good with airconditioning working fine.short 15 minute walk to icmeler and 30 minutes to marmaris.icmeler is nicer with cheaper shops .all inclusive drinking went on to 1.30 am with large drinks not small ones like some all inclusives weve been to.wonderful holiday and would go back tommorrow.ps the russian language does not include the words please and thank you, only vodka and beer which they have for breakfast.lovely people very friendly and only growl when there hungry.don,t be put off by the russians ,i guarantee you,ll love it here.hosh -cha-kalun[good bye].

4 Thank richard w
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Firstly we were told that we were In icemelar but found when we got there it was actually marmaris but to be fair what made this worthwhile was the stunning views from where the hotel was situated, our room was pretty much in the basement which supposedly had a sea view and I guess if you could see through all the trees you could just about see the sea, there was no natural light got in at all and on our arrival the air con wasn't working and the covers on the bed were dirty, so we had to complain straight away, I have never seen so many trees at a hotel in my life and the amount of stairs was terrible, the pool area was ok always plenty of beds and not to many children, the wasps well there was a few dozen so be aware, the restararaunt had no organisation at all it was pretty much a free for all and if you didn't get in before the very rude Russians then you were pretty much standing, and only 1 bar in there which was a bit of a let down and no table service at all, we were all inclusive but we had to pay for ice cream at the hotel I've been all inclusive many times and never known this, there was plenty of activities if you chose to take part and the activities staff worked very hard, night time entertainment was ok and the disco was pretty good to. All in all pretty average compared to other places I've been, would we go back, yes but not to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank connie-stephen_123
Hoddesdon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

It was my first holiday with my boyfriend, neither of us have ever been to turkey. It wasn't what we expected it. It was a 2hr transfer from the hotel. When we arrived our air on wasn't working, the staff weren't really to helpful. The food was pretty poor, if you're a fussy eater like me you wouldn't enjoy it. The pool area was lovely. Jimmy the boat guy was very rude to us because we didn't want to do his boat trip, which made us uncomftable. A few of the staff were quite rude. Iclemer town was really nice, marmaris was nice but you get a lot of hassle. We did the VIP boat cruise! Amazing deffinatley recommend and the Daylan trip was really fun. If we was going back to turkey, would not come back here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lucy C
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed at the Marmaris Park for a week from the 8th July, first time trip to Turkey, enjoyed our holiday there but a few things got right up my nose. What can I say about the Russians that has not already been said ? very rude, no manners, ignorant, miserable, greedy, I could go on and on, couple next to us at evening meal got up to get some food and the russians were in and sitting at their table before they got back, would they move ? not until the couple complained to waiters, what a lot of horrible pigs, The russians are so horrible with manners etc. even the bar staff and hotel staff are misserable,when you ask for you drink at the bar and say thank you, its banged on the bar, not a word from the bar person. staff need some training in manners as well. Now for the food... I have been to a lot of all inc. but have never been to one where there is such a rush to get in when the restaurant opens, what a carry on !!!! its like there's only enough food for half the guests and if you don't get in quick and find a seat, you will not get anything. The Russians are waiting at the door for it to open and then WHooooosh, its like a F1 race, ha ha can laugh now but not then. Its honestly like a cattle market, you will see what I mean when you go, breakfast is the worst for choice, after that I would say the meals are not bad. Entertainment, not great, good disco later on though, If you like that sort of thing, stops about 12 midnight and bar open till 1am on all inc. poor choice of drinks though, very poor. Never had a problem getting a sun bed, plenty of them, nice views from hotel and jimmy boy comes round to see if you would like to go on any boat trips, much cheaper than hotel. Out and about is fine if you don't mind the hassle when passing shops etc. it does get a bit annoying though after a while. The Airport on way back has to be the most expensive airport I have ever been in, what a rip off !! about £ 12 for a big mac, £3.50 for a can of coke :-( you have been warned. Would I go back ..... If I'm honest, then yes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Gordon B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Labranda Mares Marmaris
Casa De Maris Spa & Resort Hotel
Blue Bay Platinum Hotel
Blue Bay Platinum Hotel
#19 of 234 in Marmaris

Been to Marmaris Park Hotel? Share your experiences!