“Good hotel but problems with some trips.”

Munamar Beach Hotel
Ranked #53 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but problems with some trips.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Munamar Beach Hotel for Couples between 29th August and 5th September.
I agree with many of the comments previously expressed but I found that some of the earlier criticisms have been addressed and also the hotel was not completely full which helped at busy times of the day. We did not have a long wait for drinks as both the outside and inside bars were open and also some of the bar staff came round clearing tables and taking orders. Certainly I never queued for more than a minute or so.
I found the choice in the restaurant was very wide and although some dishes appeared almost every day there were some changes and a very wide selection of both hot and cold food and also two a la carte restaurants ( I can recommend the steak in the Italian one) so it was not difficult to eat something different every day. The staff in the restaurant were excellent in every respect - cheerful, very hard working and conscientious. Tables were cleared and reset very promptly and they would always ask if they could fetch more drinks. Treating the staff as fellow human beings and not servants pays dividends I find. (Did those who found them surly ever smile and ask, "How are you today?)
Room 407 was a good size and comfortable except there was not enough storage, especially shelves and drawers so we had to use our suitcases. The maid visited daily but she was not very conscientious - for instance, a plastic cap from a shampoo bottle stayed on the bathroom floor for almost the whole week and was still there when we left.

My main concerns and complaints concern the optional extra trips and the Thomson rep, Elias. We never saw Jamie the whole time we were there. Elias is someone who does not suffer fools gladly but unfortunately he has quite a thick accent and tends to speak rapidly, especially at the "Welcome" Meeting so some people did not understand or were unable to recall what he had said. He gives out the same information several times a week so he knows very well what topics he has covered but he forgets that his audience is hearing it for the first time. When he is asked about something he has mentioned his response is brusque and arguably rude.
The trips which he sells are arranged by TanTur. I strongly advise future guests not to book any trips with Elias at the first meeting until they have had an opportunity to compare prices with other local agencies nearby in the town where the will find exactly the same excursions at substantially reduced prices.
If you go on the Jeep Safari be aware that the drivers will hire out water guns for battles between jeeps. They also carry plastic boxes for throwing water over the passengers in the other jeeps. This can be good fun on a hot day but Elias will not mention it, neither does this "water battle" appear in the written information. There is no way of escaping it so if you do not wish to be soaked - HARD LUCK!!
I went on the all-day trip to Dalaman which Elias said returned at 5.00pm (He later claimed he had said 6.00 pm). The tour guide on the bus, who does the trip almost every day, assured me they never returned before 7.00pm. I mention this as we had booked for a Turkish Night and the pick up time was 7.00pm. In fairness, TanTur arranged a taxi at 8.00pm but only after I had buttonholed Elias and suggested he should be renamed Aliar!!

Room Tip: Choose a 4th or 5th Floor room with a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 7, 2013

myself and my daughter had travelled seperatly from my family. For various reasons we had a traumatic journey and where very much looking forward to being greeted by a friendly face in a reasuring environment... Instead i was simply handed a key with a number on and expected to search the three hotels for my room without as much of a hint at the direction i should of been heading!
I felt abandoned and alone and nobody seemed to want to help me.. To say this was a true reflection on the front of house staff and managment would be a compliment to them!
Things went from bad to worse with regards to the staff and i can honestly say this was the worst ran resort i have ever stayed in and if it wasnt for the fact that i was with my family i would not of hesitated to be transfered of even come home... Me and my family often ate out as the food here was bland, cold and often came with extras such as the odd fly or a hair..
The only nice staff here are the maids who done an brilliant job!
I would definatly return to this town but would advise any holiday maker to avoid this resort like the plague!
From the rude staff to the repulsive food, Unclean pool and a slide that clearly does not know the meaning of health and safety! I would go as far as to say you would be treated with more respect, better food and a hell of a lot safer in one of UK's HMP "resorts"

2 Thank JanePLB

Travelers are raving about these Icmeler hotels

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just come back from the Munamar hotel, lovely welcome arrived at 11pm taken to the restaurant for late night soup, table cloths were dirty salt and pepper in wrong pots but soup was nice.
Our room was great sea views clean and tidy was like it all through our stay.
The things that let this hotel down is the food, same thing every day, table cloths dirty after last guest and not changed for the next.
The managers were not very nice just hang around doing nothing and the tips in the boxes went to the managers, rest of the staff were great especially Jamie (Thomson rep).One thing they don't mention that the Turkish bath is free its only when you have extras you start paying.
but in all its a we had a lovely time most of the staff are friendly and hard working.

Room Tip: a double sea view is a must, ours had a supper king size bed, and on a late check out pre book it in...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My room was nice :) the pool was fun. Beer was terrible. Receptionsts were absolutely disgusting. Rude would be an under statement. 'Kids entertainment' was boring. The food set out was gorgeous but tasted like dog poo. The slide was fun but I nearly broke my toe. Would I go back again? No. Never.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Not going to write too much on here just the basics to give you a rough over view of my time spent at the Munamar beach resort.

Poor Management.
Rude Staff.
Unhelpful staff.
Flies on food in dining area.
No all inclusive allowance on check out day.

Was with a party of 20 and we made the most of our time in Icemelar, it's a beautiful town and plenty to do but we were highly dissappointed with our choice of accommodation. 80% of staff had very little or zero people skills. Rude rude rude!

1 Thank MissMacallaD
Pontyclun
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Read the reviews before our visit on the 26th August for a weeks all inclusive. To say I was a bit worried was an understatement, glad to say I was pleasantly surprised. Reception staff were excellent at check in and the porter took the bags to the rooms. We had 2 junior suites with a great sea view, spotlessly clean each and every day with a really lovely maid. Restaurant waiters were also very friendly, food was okay although got a big repetitive after a few days! Turkish night was the best night for food, only night they had ice cream, why no ice cream? Bar service was not a problem even when busy, never waited more than a couple of minutes. Although we weren't that bothered about any entertainment it was pretty dire, same thing every night and continual moaning because guest were apparently not enjoying themselves, suggest the 2 guys ask themselves why? All in all a really good hotel, however I did find out that Thompson had been out the week before and given the hotel a kick up the backside, lucky for us!

Carstairs Village
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Hotel is OK but certainly is not geared up in any way for anyone from the UK. Most of the guests are either Russian or Polish, and they are very rude!
The reception staff were pretty rude and only really engaged with you if you were Russian.
2 members of staff well worth a mention were Nil and Schiaun who work at the bar, They were so friendly and always having a laugh.
There are 2 main pool areas. The one we used was away from the food area and this was fine, although it could be tidied up and cleaned more often.
Food is fine with salads and a few hot dishes, thee normally being fish, chicken, meatballs or stew. At the end of the day you cannot expect to go abroad and have Fish and Chips and Steak every day.
The resturant area is not the cleanest and with our 2 year old we had to get the wipes out to clean it ourselves. The highchairs were used by the staff and trying to get one was a struggle.
Entertainment is very basic, but the do interpret in English and Russian, but the enttertainemt staff could do a whole lot better. They were pretty lazy, and didnt really engage with us Brits,
Overall the hotel is average and we go for Icmeler not for the hotel.
Management in the hotel is lacking, and if the led by example the place would be a whole lot better.
Our room was clean and cant really fault it, although why put a family with a young toddler in the 3rd floor where the balconies have no railings?!?!?!?! Every other floor has them !!!!!!
They do cut your band of when you check out but you are still allowed to eat and have soft drinks just not alchoholic. This prsonally was not a problem for us.
We wont stay back here again but will always come back to the lovely town of Icemeler.
People are writing exclelent reviews on here but are getting confused with the Munamar Beach Hotel next door which is a Thomson Couples Hotel. It certianly is not excellent but has the potential to be so much better by just keeping an eye on simple details.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the Main Hotel looking onto the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family