“Marmaris mares don't you mean night mares!”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Firstly I'd like to say I always read trip advisors reviews and Im always pleasantly surprised after reading some bad reviews and turning up to a quality 5* hotel which you cannot fault. However, this I not the case with the marmaris mares, every bad review I have read is true!  I have never wrote a review but I felt the need to inform people thinking about booking this hotel and try to pursued them not too.
So, the grand yazici marmaris mares, the only thing grand about it is that it has big grounds but nothing superior about the place.

Right so where do I start...
My aunt and her husband arrived on the morning before my family arrived and were put into a family bungalow, which was situated around 15 minute walk from the hotel and complex baring in mind they both have walking sticks and would find it terribly hard to walk too and throw everyday. When they were taken to this bungalow by the porter in a caddy, when they arrived the porter helped the cases in to their room and were horrified by the state of the place. The smell was deadly and the place was very unclean, they straight away asked the porter to take them back to the reception to ask to change rooms, the porter refused. This left my aunt and her husband to walk the 15 minute treck back to the reception in the pitch black.
After arguing with the reception staff to be moved, they were moved to another bungalow for the night which was still a hike but was better in cleanliness but still quite dirty. The next morning they went to Ask to be moved again because they still weren't happy with the location and the cleanliness again. The hotel staff could only offer my aunt a 3 person room in the hotel rather than the 2 room bungalow that they had booked my aunt was made to write a declaration to say she had accepted the room transfer.

Main restraunt
The food is terrible for a  5 star hotel. Every all inclusive is repetitive but this hotel is a joke, your lunch and dinner consists of the same things everyday. Meatballs, chicken, wedges, salad and condiments and that's your wack. If your not Quing up for 7oclock opening you have no chance of getting anything decent, they hardly ever refill after 8 so you have the Scrag ends or nothing basically. The main restraunt is very humid and it's very uncomfortable to eat inside and out. There's no aircondition what so ever only fans that waft hot air about. If you want a decent seat in this restraint you must be there for the opening otherwise you have no chance. The outside seating area is also over run by wasps.

pizzeria
The pizzerias food consists of meatballs chicken and pasta the only difference is the pizzas. They always run out of the meals that's on the menu. The portion size is ridiculously small my 10 year old brother was still hungry after eating here.

Extras that you pay for
For an all inclusive hotels there's many of things you have to pay for, firstly at breakfast there's a freshly squeezed orange juice which is a chargeable extra at 5tl. Also at the pool you have to pay for ice cream 5tl. I don't think I've ever been to a all inclusive hotel where you have had to pay for ice cream.  At the pastry stand you have to pay for the cakes in there which are 7tl, there is a small selection of free pastries but it's only left overs off breakfast.

Entertainment
The entertainment is non existent. In the sultan bar there is a band on which are terrible and they are unfortunately on every night. There is some sort of entertainment in the amphitheatre but it's deplorable for a 5* hotel. The only entertainment we found was our own company. We went out 2 nights to the majestic bar in icemler which by the way was fab and I certainly recommend it. There is only 50 seats in the amphitheatre a d considering the size of the hotel there should be a lot more.

Cleanliness.
The pool toilets are discusting I wouldn't let my dog go in there. Toilets should be cleaned on a regular basis but this is not the case. Whilst staying at the hotel the hotel had to go through a dis infecting, til now we don't know what they were trying to dis infect.

The location
The hotel is situated in between marmaris and icemeler, however to find a shop or another restraunt you have to either travel to either marmaris or icemeler

Towels
You have to pay 20tl for each towel and can only change them twice in a week. The towels are a bit old and raggy. When it comes to take them back, The towel place was closed so had to take a trip to reception, the receptionist took a while to get back to me and when he did he sad he hadn't the relevant paper work. After 20 minutes or so he phoned somebody and was told to take the towels back to pool area the man took towels and was asked to follow him back to reception. He the went into a little office and started looking through a big carrier bag filled with tickets folded stuck with paper clips (this was their filing system) I couldn't understand why they couldn't pay me back because I had gave him my receipt but he still continued to look through this back. I asked to speak to duty manager then after 45 minutes I received my 40tl. I still wanted to speak to the duty manager for the attitude of the staff after being ignored by the receptionist and being told that because I had my money what was the problem, I ended up raising my voice. Suddenly the duty manager turned up, he took me to an office and he was very patronising.

Last but not least the Russians. They are the most ignorant, rude, grim people I have ever met. They don't know the concept of manners. One morning my 10 year old brother order a omelet and a Russian came to front of que and took his plate I was left gob smacked. We came down one dinner time for quarter to 7 and Russians were huddled around the doors waiting for them to open. When the door slightly opened the poor woman that was opening it was flung out of the way and they were like a stampede of elephants. The children's ran for tables the adults grabbed
all of the desserts maybes 8 at a time.

We do have some good points but there is very few and it's mostly to applause the staff. Memet the icecream man, pool bar staff, the man that does water areobics.
The scenery around the hotel is beautiful the view is magnificent. However that is all I'm afraid.

If you would like to know anything about this hotel please feel free to email me at x-samm@hotmail.co.uk

Room Tip: Only book Hotel room if your coming here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Samantha S

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Check in was after 3 pm..because the room was not cleaned yet..
Room was old , needs renovation big time...especially for the money they ask.
Big hotel without charm.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank westamsterdam
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is the second time we stopped in this hotel.
June 2010 we booked through Thomsons, great rooms, great food, fantastic staff, brilliant holiday.
A short pleasant walk into Icmelar on the sea front, a bit longer into Marmaris but we walked it a couple of times.

The hotel is split into 2 parts, the main hotel and the villas. We were in the main part of the hotel on the first floor which were very good, but people staying in the villas said they were disgusting. I was also told by people staying in rooms on the top floors that the decor was not as good as ours.
I cannot understand people who say the staff are rude. I did not come across any staff who I could complain about at all. Great fun, helpfull and polite.

We decided to book again this year but my daughter could only get a free child place with Thomas Cook. We booked with them for the main hotel.
After we had booked we read a review on here that Thomsons clients get the best rooms. I emailed the hotel and asked and they confirmed that Thomsons have a contract with them for the deluxe rooms, but as we were returning guests they would upgrade us.
True to their word we were upgraded to the same rooms as before on the first floor. Friends of our staying at the same time had booked direct with the hotel for a room in the main hotel. On arrival they were put in the villas but were moved the next morning after complaining. They said the villas were disgusting and that there was a gap on the balcony that their daughter could have got through.

Positives;
well run restaurants, do try the Pizzeria and the Turkish restaurant in the hotel grounds, free during the day.
Great staff, especially the Sultan Bar, and the staff at the pool bar and ice cream stand at the pool. When doing the ice creams for the kids, he had a lot of fun with them trying to grab the cones off a long pole.
The staff organising the games at the pool worked hard to involve everyone and were also fun, getting most people to join in.
The hotel photographer, Andi was very good, but be aware, if you have a photoshoot they only initially tell you about the larger package, about £230, unless you ask about smaller deals. Having said that, he is not pushy and they are good value for money and he is very good. He spent about an hour with us and we have some great photos.
The views from the lift on the sea front are fantastic.

Please do take the opportunity to swim with the dolphins, or take the kids to do the meet and play with them from the pool side, absolutely brilliant and not as expensive as you think. (on the sea front close to the hotel)

I do like this hotel, and would stay there again, but I did have an issue this time;

My main problem this time was the Russian guests. Rude, pushy, no manners when going to the bar or restaurant, never a please or thank you. They would walk up to the bar ignoring anyone waiting and say '2 beers', 'coke', and the kids were the same. The bar staff regularly commented, thanking Brits for being polite. There were not as many English people there this time, and choice of food reflected this. Compared to our last stay I struggeld a little, however I could always find something to eat, but not as easy for the kids.

While we were there my son cut his foot on the rocks in the sea. The hotel has a doctor on site. He had his foot cleaned and dressed for free the first day, with a charge each day after that of about £7

I haven't rated the spa as we didn't use it.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor with a pool and sea view, mainly Thomsons guests get these. Plenty of space...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Kay P
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Hotel situated a short distance from Marmaris town in its own gated complex. Eagre to please staff (Gizme, Mehmet and Halil behind the bar were particularly noteworthy) comfortable, clean rooms with self controlled aircon and fab sea views of Marmaris Bay. We were in the main hotel which was super clean with lifts on the outside with panoramic sea views.

The buffet style food had plenty for everyone so even the fussiest eater will have a choice. You might have to queue at busiest times for a particularly popular dish but the service is quick and so you won't be lining up for long or avoid this altogether by going at non peak times when the crowds have gone. Food is replenished attentively by staff wearing gloves and hairnets and nothing runs out and everything remains fresh.

The beach is small but plenty of sunbeds and parasols. The all inclusive tariff that we had worked well and it was great not to have to worry about the costs of drinks throughout the day. Yes, the place is swarming with Russians who are not always polite (heaping plates of food and then leaving most of it was particularly annoying to witness) but they weren't unduly "in your face" and some of the younger couples were really charming.

The Charisma Spa was a huge disappointment with treatment rooms right next to the noisy pool area making it impossible to relax. Treatments were mediocre and charged at the same price as top London spas so not a bargain by means so no wonder they were empty most of the time.

The Meyhane bar and grill is fabulously located but at extra cost for failry bland - slightly disappointing fish dishes. Chamlik Restaurant also nice location but really basic, tired menu. Your best bet is to stick to the main Yunus Restaurant in the hotel.

The terraces have spectacular views to sit and enjoy a cold beer or one of the excellent local wines

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are less noisy. Send an email direct to the hotel in the hope t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alexa B
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Booked this hotel as a last minute break. Price was cheap so can't really moan. But would have been really upset if had paid full price.
Hotel very dated with threadbare carpets in hallways. The worst part was the maid service. This was the worst ever experienced. Glasses not washed, no bin in room, left carrier bag full of rubbish as a hint but she just emptied it and left it in same place. Dont think she knew what a hoover was for. Some days no toilet rolls. Had to phone for clean towels. Fridge not replinshed.
Food was poor to say the least. Evening entainment was very poor. Air con did not work, had to sleep with patio door wide open all night.
No beach at all, just crazy paved areas. Had to climb down small ladder to get into the sea.
Coffee/tea not served, have to get your own from machine.
Good points. Clean pool. Nice walk into Marmaris

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon P
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed for our Honeymoon from the 4th to 14th June. On arrival we were shown a small villa with a very limited view and single beds. We didn't even take our luggage off the buggy but asked to be taken back to reception where we showed them out accommodation ticket which stated it was our honeymoon. They were very helpful and said they'd give us a room in the main hotel for the night then find a double bed for us the following morning. We went to reception in the morning where they told us they had a ship room for us. With the promise of a sea view we went off to inspect and were amazed when they took us out to the large gulet moored off the jetti in front of the hotel and offered us the master suite. Woo Hoo, result! Not quite believing our luck we scampered back for our luggage which was transferred to our beautiful room with a sea view to die for! There was another English couple (Hello Paul & Nic) on board who'd grabbed the other (only slightly smaller) suite, so we spent the rest of the day sprawled out on the white toweling covered cushions surrounding the wirlpool on the front of the boat, drank wine from the bar and pinched ourselves to make sure it was all real!
What an amazing holiday. OK, so we had to venture onto the mainland for our meals and to have drinks with our friends we'd met in Turkey the year before (thanks Jemma & Tony for your choice of hotel!!) but knowing we could just wander back to our boat and chill out on deck was so relaxing. Deliveries to the boat were a bit hit and miss so in the evenings we'd ask for a couple of bottles of wine from one of the hotel bars and take them back with us in case the boat had run out. The staff were quite happy for us to do this and on the night of the first England Euro 2012 game the staff at the sultan filled up an Ice Bucket with cold Efes for us to take back to watch the game on the flat screen on the rear deck!
Downside - The Russians. The hotel was overun with them and a few stayed on the boat for some of the time we were there. There were a couple of elderly ladies who were fine but the youngsters were noisy, spilt wine all over the covers on deck, came back drunk in the evening and staggered about slamming doors etc. They also tried to sneak other people aboard so they were moved back to the hotel as they showed No respect for anything or anyone (including the lovely crew) We also noticed that most of the Russians used to take plastic tupperware containers and shopping bags to the restaurant as well. The amount of food they took away with them was unreal and what on earth did they do with it? There's only so much a person can eat! It used to amuse me at the bars because they'd rudely push in and try order their drinks but a lot of the bar staff used to ignore them and serve us patiently waiting brits first! Many of the hotel staff were as fed up with them as we were and used to appologise for having them in their hotel!
All in all a wonderful stay (despite the Ruskies). The Turkish people make it as they're so friendly and really do try and do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to ask for a room upgrade and if you see the boat moored outside then ask if it's...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mentalblond
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I read some guys review on here which is about 20,000 words long and he rips the place to pieces. Well he is spot on.

The hotel itself has been decorated really nice in places yet in some areas it's terrible. The staff are rude and have no time for you. The drinks are served in tiny cups which are only half filled. The hotel is swarming with Russians and subsequently they are the only people catered for. They also have no concept of a queue untill you shout at them.

Some people say the food is lovely and luxurious but there is nothing wonderful about it. It's dreadful and if people think that is 5* quality food served in a canteen style "restaurant" then you need to get out more.

The only good meal we had was at the Italian restaurant and that was superb.

The room was basic, ceiling tiles rotten, light in shower didn't work, safe was locked permanently on the open position and air conditioning didn't work.

Also, even though I paid for an ALL INCLUSIVE holiday they had the audacity to stitch "Carte Doir" badges to their shirts at the local sweatshop and then try and charge for ice cream and cocktails.

Rip off from start to finish.

Oh and the Thomas cook rep was ****.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank Shymatty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
Mirage World Resort Hotel
Mirage World Resort Hotel
#31 of 77 in Icmeler
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!