“Very Good Hotel”
Review of Hotel Aqua

Hotel Aqua
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from 10 nights all inclusive at the Aqua and were very impressed with the standard.
The location is excellent right on the beach front.
The food was very nice with plenty of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only issue I had in the evenings was the children of some Turkish guest were allowed to skate on roller blades around the terrace whilst we were eating.
The standard of cleanliness is excellent with bed linen and towels changed every day. If you stay AI you are given towel cards on arrival. You present these to the pool attendant every day and are given fresh beach towels.
The rooms are lovely and bright, and although not huge are modern and have all that you need. We were on the first floor with a view of the pool and the sea.
The only down side to the hotel is the awful entertainment. On a Tuesday there is a band, this was very good and if there had been more entertainment of this standard it would have been much better. There is a comedy show which is not funny and a karakoe night which was more amusing than the comedy show. There is the usual bingo and quizzes which are not the best. However, the bar area is big enough and if you sit right at the back or in the gardens you can ger away from it all.
One review mentions poor service and unfriendly staff. I have to say that I did not find this to be the case. All of the staff were friendly and polite whether this be at one of the bars or on the reception. It may be worth remembering that the bar and waiting staff work 72 hour weeks and at times they might be exhausted rather than unpleasant.
On the whole we really enjoyed our stay at the Aqua and will go back.

1  Thank Gaz2020
Write a ReviewReviews (2,474)

Reviewed July 15, 2009

I've just returned from a 10 night stay at the Aqua Hotel in Icmeler and wanted to share my experiences of the hotel and resort.

It took me a while to try and find the right hotel in the right resort for my girlfriend and I (early 30s). I didn't fancy the intensity of Marmaris directly and felt Icmeler would be a nice compromise of lazy relaxing days and lively nights and Icmeler did not disappoint.

Hotel Aqua is a lovely hotel by any countries standards and as you enter the hotel you cant fail to be impressed by the large marble reception area. - on 1st appearances this looked a great choice and a worthy of 5stars although as time went on I would class this hotel as 4star. The grounds were well keps and very clean.

Rooms:
Rooms were nice, i had a standard room and although stated as side sea view (all standard rooms are at the sides of the hotel) I was a little disappointed I didn't have any sea view due to being on the 1st floor and overlooking a road from this side of the hotel. Maybe on a higher floor of the hotel and looking over the balcony to my right I would have caught a glimpse of the sea. The other side of the hotel (pool facing and higher floors) would have had better sea views. But i'm not one to sit in a fairly small but perfectly adequate hotel room so wasnt too concerned. The standard of rooms was good though and I was quite happy. If you want to guarantee sea/pool view get a corner suite - much bigger although you'll pay for it.

Food and Drink:-
We stayed all-inclusive - well worth the extra money as hotel drinks and food are expensive. Only local drinks are inclusive - I stuck to beer and local spirits although not a huge variety of local spirits to be honest . The wine tasted terrible in my opinion and local spirits weren't great. Soft drinks were fine though and its well worth going all-inclusive.

I thought the food was very good, must admit i never go to all-inclusives as like to eat out but was pleasantly surprised at the quality and variety of food. It does get a bit same-same though and after a good few days eating at the hotel just felt like 'business'. I do prefer to go out to restaurants as it makes a nice evening but I cant complain about the selection and quality of the food.

Entertainment:-
If you think you are going to enjoy the evening entertainment - think again. It was quite tacky and mostly dull. The entertainment staff do work hard but the variety of entertainment is poor in my opinion. However, local alcohol was free and worth drinking a good few before heading out to the bars. Hotel entertainment was karaoke, comedy acts (although I failed to see the comedy), bingo etc etc - to be honest quite typical of any big hotel - just not my cup of tea really.

Location:
The hotel is in a great location although Icmeler is not that big and all of the hotels are near the 'action'. There are numerous cafes, restaurants and 'fun' pubs and I felt Icmeler was a clean and enjoyable place to walk around. Just outside the front of the hotel and you walking amongst the bars and restaurants, outside the back and you are walking along the beachfront with many options too.

Beach/Pool
Aqua hotel backs onto the beach but Icmeler has a shingle/sand beach (although Marmaris is exactly the same.) If you are looking for golden sandy beaches this is not the place for you. Aqua has its own private part of the beach which was never too busy and as Icmeler is a small bay the water was very calm and the backdrop very scenic. Lots of sunbeds all along the beach though and most free. Lots of watersports to do - i really enoyed it and the shingly beach didnt bother me.
I didnt sit around the pool - although a lovely sized pool I found it crowded and difficult to get a lounger - I dont think you had to be up crazy early to get one but it looked too cramped for me.

Service:
This was the big negative for me at this hotel. The staff at the pool bar were not very warm and friendly and at times acting like they were doing you a favour by serving you. There was definately no 'service with a smile' at the pool bars. If you are looking for a more personable touch with friendly smiley waiters and bar staff this isnt the place for you. The quality of sevice in the restaurant was also very poor. Maybe thats what all-inclusives are like but the service was NOT 5star.
Compared to the happy, friendly locals in the bars and restaurants outside the hotel this was certainly specific to the hotel.

Nightlife - As said hotel entertainment was poor but drinks are free if all-inclusive. I recommend getting a good few freebies and then venturing out to the many 'fun pubs' all around the hotel within a few minutes walk. Note music is turned down at midnight although all the bars are open very late with quiet music. I recommend Dream Boys and the Irish Pub both very near Aqua hotel - great laugh although expect to pay a good few quid for a cocktail.

Would I return to Aqua - no .. mainly due to the unfriendly service. Maybe I just prefer smaller, personable hotels which generally have friendly staff. Maybe due to the size of Aqua this was not possible although I still feel the bar staff could've smiled a little. Icmeler as a resort was lovely and perfect for a week or 2.

Transfer: the transfer from Dalaman airport is 2-3 hours - it feels a long way after a 4hr flight and all the Marmaris people get dropped off first. But worth it when you get to Icmeler.

In summary, positives - an elegant looking hotel, nice rooms (not too expensive), all inclusive well worth the money and food was lovely, great location, nice pool and nice grounds.
Main negatives - slightly crowded pool area, unfriendly service from bar staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gdm176
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Four of us( all women) are just back from 10days in the Aqua and we all enjoyed the hotel very much. It is in a great location for the beach, the shops, the water taxis to Marmaris and nightlife if you wish it. The back of the hotel leads straight out onto the beach from lovely shady gardens and the front, into the town of Icmeler itself. You don't need to walk far, to find bars, shops or restaurants but it is not too noisy and we felt very safe! There are markets on a Wednesday where you can haggle for handbags etc. We bought 6!! Have a Turkish bath and massage!!! Lovely and not expensive! (Female masseurs for the women)
The food in the hotel is buffet style. Plenty of everything! ( Probably 10days is enough for All Inclusive though!) The alcoholic drink is local and you pay extra for International brands but the wine and beer is good. Buy tickets for the boat trips from the guys to the right of the back of the hotel. Cheaper than in the hotel from reps. Dolphin Bay and the mud baths is a good day trip. The staff are all very nice and very friendly and the Hotel is spotless! All nationalities staying there too. We would all go back and this is our 28th year of holidaying as friends and we have travelled a lot!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Supergranny
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We are a 40/50 year old couple who have not long returned from The Aqua in Icmeler, Turkey. It is a five star hotel in a lovely area on the beach with the market canal 5 mins walk away. The hotel itself we would probably mark as 8/10.

The positives which made the holiday so enjoyable were

1. the location, right on the beach, 5 mins walk from the market canal and loads of bars/restaurants and walks. We went to the Majestic a couple of times where they do live dancing and acts - mainly men dancing on the bar which I was quite happy with!
2. The staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you. The bar staff and waitors were extremely friendly, the entertainment committee were brilliant and George the pool man was excellent.
3. The food was extremely good for all inclusive, which over a 2 week period is not easy. There was always a choice and bearing in mind the hotel was full the second week of our stay this did not turn into a frenzy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Again the waitors made this easier by being so friendly and making up tables for you pretty much where you wanted to sit. In previous hotels you have either been allocated a table for your entire stay, or are directed to a table that is for 2 (if that is how many of you there are). We could sit where we wanted which was great

We made friends with so many people who work in the hotel. On of the entertainment committee even met with us at the hotel on her day off to go with us to Marmaris for a shopping trip!

The areas that let the hotel down, but I have to say did not affect our overall enjoyment of the holiday, was the size of our room, the very small bathroom, the small balcony and the slightly smaller than expected size of the swimming pool.

We plan to return to the hotel next year hopefully and would recommend it to our friends and family - my dad is already looking into it.

2  Thank arichardson
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I went for a weeks break with my mother, hotel we thought was lovely and the area of icmeler is so pretty.

The rooms were kept clean, the grounds of the hotel were very nice, lovely big outside pool, we spent most the time on the beach been as the hotel is right on the beach which was nice.

As for the food its a good job we liked salads, food got a bit the same each night, wouldn't have wanted two weeks at this hotel. For anyone who doesn't like salads your going to find it hard as you don't see any steaks or much nice meat. I eat fish but that was always in sauces or fried which I'm not that keen on.

I thought All inclusive means all inclusive, i ordered two fruit smoother's on coming to check out at the end of the holiday they tried to charge us about £9 for the two smoother's we had had, after explaining we thought this miss leading that we were never told we had to pay for them they did let us off.

The staff i thought could have been friendlier, we did ask to be moved for a sea view room but they said hotel was full which we new wasn't.

The walk to marmaris is very pretty, or you can get on a little bus or sea boat to take you which is worth a visit.

I would recommend this hotel for location, and how pretty the grounds are, but not more than a week because of the food thats on offer.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank jayne21p
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and myself have just returned from a two week holiday at the Hotel Aqua on a Half Board basis. The hotel is beautifully appointed throughout. All the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The bedroom was good with lots of storage space and a lovely view over the gardens/pool; the bathroom was very small with the door to it opening in front of the toilet which made things a bit awkward, but it was not really a problem. The garden and pool area is lovely, with a water feature running through it. The pool is large and warm. There are adequate sunbeds, no-one gets up at the crack of dawn to ‘bag’ them due to the excellent free daily towel service which is managed by George. He also gives you mattresses which are free to ALL guests, and parasols if you need them. There is also a large private beach in front of the hotel, but we didn’t use that.

The only downside to our stay was the food at the evening meal which was not very good, definitely more 3 star, if that. The soups were excellent each evening but the main courses left much to be desired. The selection of meat/fish on offer tended not to be replaced on many occasions until the contents in the tins were used up. It was the luck of the draw that you got something to eat. In fact one night I had to point out to a chef that I was Half Board, not All Inclusive and that this was my main meal of the day and the amounts of food left out were not good enough, at which point some of the food was replaced, but you shouldn’t have to do that. There was only one type of potatoes each night and one type of vegetable, either sprouts or soggy mixed veg, and rice. Fortunately there was a very good salad bar, so I ate mainly from that. The other problem was that most of the main course meat dishes (when you got one) were only luke warm. Whether this quality is a result of the hotel now offering All Inclusive and they are cutting corners, I don’t know. It is a shame but because of the evening meal I would not stay there again. The breakfasts were fine.

It seems that many hotels in Icmeler are now going All Inclusive and this is having an impact on the rest of the resort. We went to Icmeler two years ago when this was not the case and the bars/restaurants were much busier. Many of the bars/restaurants are struggling this season and a few that we used when we last visited have either closed or changed ownership. The people we spoke to all blamed it on All Inclusive hotels. It is a shame if guests are just staying in the hotels for their entire stay as there is so much more to see and Icmeler is much larger that it first looks. The resort has adopted a ‘no hassle, policy since we were last there and this is working well. When they enforce it the business concerned is closed for 3 weeks – we saw two restaurants that had been closed, and the day before we left all the booking booths for the boat trips had been closed for 3 weeks -if you want to book a trip during that time you now have to book with the boat itself on the jetties.

1  Thank Laurathornton
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Booked Fully inclusive with two teenage girls - pleased we did because if you're expecting a cheap holiday to turkey, think again, it's so much more expensive than you could imagine.

Great hotel, clean, super service, massive well organsied pool, lots of facilities, excllent relaxation areas and immediate access to beach. Plenty of space as well so nothing felt too crowded.

Food was good. Salad bar was very extsensive and although it didn't change much, more than enough choice. Two of three main meals served buffet style which were fine especially grilled fish (sea bass, bream and salmon) all appeared. very good turkish night as well. Drinks were fine and always served in glasses unless by request for the pool or beach. Unlimited free juice and water as well and even ice cream at 4.30.

We expected it to be good (we paid enough) and it was everything we exp[ected - top notch hotel - and free wireless access too which was excellent and relaible. There was even a couple of english speaking film and comedy channels included along with the news.

On another subject though, Turkey is going to price itself out of the market. The girls went to bar street where all drinks were £4 each (10 lira). This was about avergae for most places that you'd choose, gone are the days of a beer for 50p!

Add to the fact that you still get hassled, you do get ripped off and everything is fake and overall I was disappointed in Turkey.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family