“Great barman shame about the hotel”
Review of Union Palace Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Icmeler
Union Palace Hotel
Ranked #63 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just back from two weeks half board at the Union Palace Hotel, and simply the standards of the cleaning and the food was very poor, rooms never got cleaned and you had to ask staff that never spoke any English for towels, toilet rolls, sheets etc. You can tell the hotel in its hey day was a lovely place but seems to run on a shoe string in every department. The one saving grace was the barman Bilal that made your stay there ok. The hotel only had a handful of holiday guests with the hotel being used simply for a stopover of Turkish coach holidays.Chris and Christine.

Room Tip: third floor good view! BUT
1  Thank chris c

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Arrived early hours on Tuesday 13th, in the pitch black as lights in corridor weren't working.

Rooms were dated and hair dryer kept breaking. However the rooms were clean and had a nice view from balcony. Air con was very good and there was no cost to use it. Although there wasn't a safe in the room we could leave our valuables in a safe at the reception. We also had free wifi in the hotel/room which was very handy.

Breakfast was ok (not a very wide selection, the same things everyday). Dinner was good with a wider selection which was changed daily.

Staff in the hotel were friendly but spoke very little English but tried their best to help.

Pool was very clean and we always managed to get sunbeds.

The barman at the hotel was very friendly and spoke very good English (best English speaker at the hotel). He helped us book a couple of trips and he was always smiling.

Hotel wasn't in walking distance of iclemer centre but there were buses running regularly which you could get from the bottom of the hill (very cheap).

We used to get a taxi back from iclemer centre as the hill was steep and hard to walk up in the hot weather. Taxi only cost 10 lira.

The spa at the hotel was very nice. The staff were very friendly and polite. We had two massages at the hotel (excellent value for money). The manager of the spa spoke very good English and was easy to get along with.

All in all we had a excellent holiday and would recommend this hotel to others :)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

First off, this hotel is not as bad as people make it out to be, yes it is out the way but it is only 5 minutes on the bus to the centre of icmeler, I have been to lots of places in Spain and Greece and I can say the people in this hotel are the nicest people ever they work so hard to make u feel welcome,,, the food wasn't to great at the breakfast but the snack bar in the pool area was fine, on the other hand it kind of was in a good location because the breeze in the mountains was lovely..... The rooms, are kind of old, and the carpet needs to go in such a hot country, yet the air con is brill, and is so cold,,,,

The best thing about the holiday was Bilal the brilliant bar man he was the best english speaker and really went out of his way to chat with me..... He really is so nice and he really does work very hard and long hours, but always has a smile on his face, we really enjoyed his company and we will stay in contact with him, for a long time,,,,, he has a funny sense of humour and never failed to make me laugh,,, so if you go make sure u ask for Bilal as he is the best person in the hotel, the other very nice man that works there is the young lad, who is always going round the pool making sure it is very clean, and he always says hello, and he also works the night on the bar,,,, but of a day he wears a striped top, and short jeans he is also very nice,, so if you go to the hotel, go and say hello to Bilal the best bar man and bekir :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not palace by any imagination. It looks like a 70’s hotel from the outside. The hotel looks and is clean but it needs a freshen up. I was occupied by mainly Turkish families. The bedroom was clean but the carpet had some stains on it and it should be replaced. The bathroom was plain but ok, imagine my surprise when I looked closely on the tiled floors to see my neighbours, small Ants scurrying about. I was woken after midnight by some guests having a major row outside the lift and then in their bedroom. My neighbours also woke up early in the morning at 7AM and made a lot of noise. I tried to run some hot water to get washed and black bits came out of the tap along with the Luke warm water. I went to breakfast and had to use the stairs as the lifts were out of action. The breakfast was pretty poor, I tried some cheese rolls which were soft and not nice and a hard-boiled egg which was ok. I had two cups of Turkish tea which were fine. I was put of the bread by Turkish people poking and squeezing the loaves making their selections. The lift was working when I went back to my room. I couldn’t leave quickly enough really. At the checkout I showed the receptionist a dead Ant in some tissue paper he said yes I know and put it in the bin.

Room Tip: Don't go there, its right at the back of Icmeler and up a steep road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very clean hotel and staff very friendly and willing to help in any way possible. 10 min walk to the main town of icmeler and beach, alot more Turkish than English but this was not a problem as the majority of them spoke English and always took the time to say hello. Entertainment was non existent which is why this review got a 4, but all we did was walk into the town so wasn't that much of an issue. Air con is free in this hotel, we had been told by a few English people that in other hotels they have stayed in they charge about 100 lira for the week. All in all I would definitely go back to this hotel, views are amazing, staff are friendly and really enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel has a magnificent commanding view of the old village and modern beaches of Icmeler. It is however a bit far (2.5km) from the beaches. Yet, this may be an advantage for visitors requiring a quiet and relaxing vacation. They can spend peaceful days using the large swimming pool.
The breakfast menu was above average (except for bread that was inexplicably always stale). We had some trouble with dinner especially for the first two days (7-8 August). The fried fish was horrible and stewed turkey meat so tough. Things improved noticeably for the next few nights as ore authentic and delicious Turkish food was introduced; possibly because of the arrival of a big Turkish crowd celebrating Bayram (Ramadan Eid).
The thing that really annoyed us was the casual and erratic way services were rendered. We had no internet service on our floor even though we were promised open and free internet. After complaining we had service only for one night and then it was stopped again. The safe in the room did not work. Also, the hotel had no outside phone line that one can use from the room. Such connection was important to confirm reservations and to arrange transport. We were advised instead to buy a phone card or get a mobile line.
The hotel reception was friendly but was stymied by management policy (e.g. regarding internet).
Despite these drawbacks, the hotel is a good family retreat with good value for money.

Room Tip: Top floors, right side.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

after reading some reviews I was not looking forward to staying here but it was to expensive to change , I am so glad I didn't it was great for us as a couple . it was mainly Turkish only us and another English family there the first week and about four more the second not a lot for children to do as there wasn't any entertainment being mainly Turkish . there was no safety deposit boxes but was able to leave our things in the hotel safe free . the air con was free , there was no shuttle bus as most guests had their own cars , there was no problem getting a sunbed any time of day , the balconies were private and I didn't mind the hill the views are lovely. I don't think its a place to stay if you like to stop in the hotel all the time or out of season but we would stay there again in july/aug but as a regular to turkey nothings ever the same the next year

Room Tip: better views from 3rd floor up
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple