“vela hotel,icmeler”
Review of Vela Hotel Icmeler

Vela Hotel Icmeler
Ranked #53 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My friends and I had a fantastic holiday in the Vela Hotel,the rooms are spotless,and cleaned daily,staff are very helpful especially martin and Mr Bean and Charlie at recepition they made our holiday,we spent a lot of time by the pool relaxing,very central if you want to explore turkey,only downside to the hotel was the food,if you like chicken or meatballs you,l be ok,

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 907Frances

Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Vela opened in May after a major upgrade and the upgrade made our stay particularly pleasant. Our room was a good size and those facilities you depend on, shower, toilet, and storage and the bed were excellent (even the pillows were exceptionally comfortable).
The room was attended every day and within the week we had the bed linen changed twice and towels four times. The high standard of cleanliness was obvious throughout the hotel, including the pool and poolside. The drinks were plentiful and served with a smile, although a limited range of local products, it suited us fine. The weakness from our point of view was the food, it was always fresh and well presented, with the chef always in attendance, but lacked variety and did not have the meal appeal I would have hoped for, although we always managed to put a meal together, we think it was prepared to suit the majority of guests who were Eastern European. The staff were excellent, my wife had a fall (not the hotels fault) and the attention she received was instant and of a high standard, they were well prepared from waiter to management. Apart from the variety of food this was an excellent experience.

2  Thank jimmymc19
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We booked the Vela hotel after changing from another hotel in Marmaris which has horrendous reviews! We are so glad we did. After getting caught up in the holidays 4 u going bust we thought we would never make it to the hotel but after booking another flight a few days later we arrived early hours of the morning, We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. We were shown to a lovely clean room with a double bed and a single bed, plenty of room for the two of us. When we were at reception we requested a room near our friends who had arrived two days before and this was not a problem we were given next door but one! Food is lovely, always had something we liked, very fresh and cooked well. All inclusive drinks are great, fizzy, squash, water, beer, wine, vodka, gin. They are served in small cups but if you asked for a large one it was no problem. The pool has plenty of room and plenty of sunbeds, if you wanted one round the pool you had to reserve but this was August, peak time and if you didnt reserve there is a grassy space slightly away from the pool and there ws always plenty of room. The location is fantastic. Right in the centre of Icmeler, but the windows keep out all noise! Our room was on the pool side and the bar played music at night and we coud never hear it once in our room, so im guessing the road side rooms couldnt hear the street noise either. 5 minute walk to the lovely beach. We have been to Turkey three times now and Icmeler was our favourite resort so far, not too big, no hassle from the restaurants, great boat trips, it had everything you'd ever need from a holiday to Turkey! We will hopefully be going back :)

2  Thank laurac01732
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We've visited Icmeler six times over the last eight years and love it for it's relaxed pace. We hadn't planned a holiday this year and so our booking, at the last minute, meant we couldn't get our usual apartments and, based on reviews here we chose the Vela Hotel.

I'm delighted we did, the hotel is ideally situated, a 5min walk from the beach and in the middle of town. It's recently had a full refurb and the rooms are superb, lovely bathroom, comfy beds and great (and free) aircon.

The all-inclusive food was generally very good, a little samey as these always are but it was always fresh and of good quality. We chose to have breakfast and lunch in the hotel and went out for dinner 7 our of 14 nights.

The pool is large but there isn't much shade and we prefer the beach anyway.

Rooms have hair dryer and fridge, and there is free WiFi in the lobby, dining room and pool/bar area. We had a 2.30am check-out and so kept the room for the last night. When we requested an alarm call the porter even said that, had we asked, they would have sorted us out with a packed breakfast for the transfer to the airport, a lovely gesture and one that few other hotels I have stayed on would offer.

We booked a private transfer which went like clockwork and was so much nicer than the awful coach ones where you stop at 20 other hotels en route.

We'll be back here next year, can't wait. Oh, one tip, bring coat hangers, there are only a few in the room wardrobe ;)

Room Tip: Best view is town side facing beach.
6  Thank DarrenGriff
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We have just returned from the Vela hotel in Icmeler Turkey, two days ago. The hotel itself is lovely. It is very clean both inside and out, the cleaners do a fantastic job. The rooms are cleaned daily and clean towels are put in your room every day. The rooms are your typical basic holiday hotel room. The size of the room is adequate, with a large bathroom/ toilet area. There seems to be plenty of storage space for your clothes and belongings as well as, an air conditioning unit that you can control yourself. You have a balcony area which is ideal for laying out your wet swimming clothes. The only thing that dissapointed us about the room was, that there wasn't any tea/coffee making facilities in the room. So if you woke up early, you couldn't have a brew before seven, when the restaurant opened.

The restaurant food is very poor. For breakfast you have a choice of CHIPS, cold hard boiled eggs,beans (sometimes), scrambled eggs ( sometimes) and occasionally some kind of chopped up frankfurter with sweet corn. There was bread you can toast, but they only supply margarine, the waiter told us that they were not allowed to supply butter anymore. They had some cheese and salami and the fruit was the same for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was either water melon or honeydew melon (that was the only fruit they had on offer the whole week)

Lunch consisted of CHIPS, Rice (which was generaly over cooked) A mixed veg/ casserole dish & some kind of burger things. There was some salade but mostly mixed to accomodate the Russians tastes. And soup was also available.

Snacks at 16:30 was bread, lettuce, cucumber, sliced tomatoe and whatever was leftover from lunch (i:e burgers or nuggets) But you have to be quick, because the Russians would race to the food first. And if they weren't first they'd push in.

Dinner was, CHIPS, Rice (still over cooked) Casserole & Chicken. Every night it was chicken but it was discribed differently, each time. Such as grilled,boiled,kebab and chicken casserole. You had the same salad and fuit the was on offer at lunchtime.
And the puddings never changed either, it was the same desserts for lunch and dinner all week.

The restaurant is open untill 21:30 but the air conditioning in the restaurant goes off at 20:30. And it's a struggle to get them to turn it back on. And don't be late getting your food, they start clearing away dead on time. Even if your there dishing some food onto your plate, they will pack away the food.

I'm not a fussy eater (you don't get to 18st by being fussy) but I struggled to find alot to eat. My Wife just lived on soup, bread and some chips if they weren't rock hard. Our three teenagers ate out every night, they would walk in, look at the food and walk back out again.

The pool is a nice size, but it doesn't have a shallow end. It is 5' 4'' deep all over. So if your short or a weak swimmer this is not ideal. there is a small / kids pool which is about 6' x 6' and 3' deep. the sun loungers are of poor quality and every day one or two break. I sat on one and it broke, leaving me laying on the floor in a heap. I got up all embarrassed, as everyone was now looking at me and moved it out of the way. Next minute the manager was in my face telling me that I should be more carefull and that he has paid 80 lira for that sun lounger. He didn't give a damn about me, he didn't ask if I was ok or anything.

The pool bar is the only bar in the hotel. So in the evening time when you are all dressed up. you are sitting on the same chairs that people have been sitting on during the day, with their sun creams and oils on. Martin who is the barman, is the rudest arrogant man I have ever met. He managed to upset or wind up everybody that I had spoken to around the pool. If there was a few girls at the bar, he would talk to you like a piece of----. Just to make himself look big. He had warnings of quite a few people about the way he spoke to their daughters and the advances he was making towards women. The all inclusive finished at 23:00. So if you went up to the bar ten minutes before hand. He would refuse to give you more than one drink. If you was sitting at the table after eleven and you had more than one drink in front of you, he would take a picture and report you to the manager.

As an all inclusive I don't feel that I got value for my money. Although I had paid five adult prices, the family didn't eat much. And had to eat out most nights. And the local spirits don't taste that great either. I would go back to this hotel again, if was on a board basis only.

But please don't be put off, of coming to Icmeler. It is a lovely place with loads of bars and restaurants. This was our first time in Turkey and we loved it. We are looking to book for next year and Icmeler is our place of choice. But this time we'll go self catering, as it's so cheap to eat out there.

My final summary : Icmeler 10/10 Vela Hotel 5/10 (and that's only because of the refurb)

Room Tip: Buy Butter and take a travel kettle.
2  Thank KevinandDebbie391
Reviewed August 23, 2011

As others have said the hotel is in a great location for restaurants, bars, shops and the beach.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and when we were leaving offered to make us food for the journey as we were leaving in the early hours and would miss breakfast.
The rooms, bedding and towels were very clean and the towels were changed every day. The cleaners were very accommodating as my boys stayed out late at the local Eastenders nightclub and then slept for most of the day and the cleaners were happy to come back later.
The only downside to the hotel was the food which was very repetitive and bland and they seemed to serve chicken nuggets and chips for almost every meal along with just a few other tasteless choices but as the hotel was very cheap we didn't mind too much as we sometimes had breakfast across the road or ate in a restaurant in the evening or had a kebab and we could get drinks all day and unlike other trips that we have had to Turkey no one in my family got food poisoning and to my knowledge no one else in the hotel did either which I presume is down to their high hygiene standard.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a good view. The front of the hotel you can see the sea and at the back you over loo...
2  Thank Sara C
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We would definitely go back to this hotel. It is spotlessly clean and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are a fair size with one single and one double bed in, there is a fridge in the room and the bathroom was nice. The shower was very powerful.

The food was nice although a little repetitive at times. There was always soup (which was delicious) usually two meet dishes some form of potato (chips/mash/roast/boiled) and there was always a salad bar which was lovely. There wasn't much variety with the deserts and the ones I did try were not very nice but they did have really nice ice cream most days at lunchtime. Breakfast was nice always sausages, eggs, beans and potato as well as cereals, toast and continental items.

The terrace bar which is advertised was not open whilst we were there but the pool bar was ample and there was never really a wait for a drink. The beer is Tuborg which isn't bad, the local spirits are nothing like what he have but they are nice. The red wine wasn't nice at all but the white was nice more so with a little bit of lemonade in. Once the all inclusive finishes at 11 you can get 20% discount off the price of the drinks with your vela wrist band. I would recommend getting a fish bowl cocktail they're really nice but make sure you barter on the price.

There was no entertainment in the hotel which is a shame but there is plenty of places within walking distance to go to. If you walk off the main street to the bars you'll find you can get a pint for 90p and a cocktail for £2 rather than £5 on the main street. We also ate out one night in the restaurant just outside the hotel I think it was called golden moon. It was a lovely meal and very reasonably priced. It cost us around £22 for two drinks each and two fillet steaks you get turkish bread and dips for starters free.

I would definitely go back to this hotel we had a lovely time and it is great value for money.

2  Thank Lorraine B