Oren Apart Hotel
$19
$11
bedfinder
  • Pool
All reviewsoren apartmentsoren hillold villagenext yearfriendly family run apartmentsturkish nightminute walkcouldn't do enoughgreat holidaythe main areasplenty of sunbedsplease feel freebbq nightno hasslepool areanon swimmerstowels and bedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 22, 2010

As I write this review, I am coming to the end of my stay at the Oren Apartments (I took my netbook with me as there is free wifi - just ask at the bar for the code).

Arriving
We arrived late at night and were shown to our room. One of the guys carried my heavy case up the stairs for me. (The bar guys are helpful and friendly -they tried for a while, to entice us into the bar for food but then gave up).. Everywhere was spotlessly clean

Living Room
I'm sitting in the basic living area/kitchen which is absolutely fab to use as there are only 2 of us staying here. Had the 2 sofa beds been used for 3 other people it would have been cramped. There is a full sized fridge and two functioning rings to cook on. Big stainless steel pans and utensils are provided and they are all spotlessly clean. I often have to clean plates and pans before I use them in holiday apartments but these were pristine!. My only niggle is that the large knives were really blunt. There is an electric kettle!

Bedroom
This has substantial furniture. Some people in the reviews have referred to it as 'dated' but I think it is more classic, basic wood furniture that is good for several years yet. There is a wardrobe (not enough hangers) that has lots of room and shelves in. There are two single beds that look a bit like they have been borrowed from Hansel and Gretel's house. These beds are comfortable (I slept very well) but they have ridiculous pink nylon bedspreads on. A guy who lives in the area told me that there has been a lot of refurbishment of the Oren apartments over the Winter - why then did they choose to retain the bedspreads? They look like something you might have found in your auntie's house 30 years ago.

Bathroom
There is a sink, toilet and shower (with clean shower curtains) and all this worked well. There is a hairdryer attached to the wall by the mirror in the bathroom and this also functioned well - apart from the nozzle which sometimes fell off when I blow-dried my hair. You have to question the advisability of a hairdryer in the bathroom - so close to the sink - which, if full, could be a disaster. Thankfully, no plug was provided!

Balcony
There were french windows which opened onto a medium-sized balcony with a table and 2 chairs (also a pink, sprigged table cloth - a bit Cath Kidston, I thought). The balcony had a good, safe rail around it. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony at all times of the day. We were in a room directly facing the bar (by the pool) rather than one at right angles to it. I would recommend this as the sun did not shine directly onto us. We had the dappled, cooler light at all times. I think this might be important if you are going in the really hot months.

The room cleaners were fantastic. They made intricate towel animals for us and decorated them with flowers. The apartment was always really clean and they changed the bed twice in a 10 day stay (too much, I think). They even left us a sweet note once.

Pool/Bar area
The pool has sunloungers around it. We always managed to find one with a shade. The pool was very clean and a comfortable temperature to swim in. There is a little, fairly shallow kiddies' pool with a safety rail to stop the little ones going into the deeper bigger pool. We did not go in the bar area very much. I thought the prices were a little more expensive than some places in the town. I did not like the fact that the full vegetarian breakfast (8 lira/3.80 ish) was more expensive than the ordinary full breakfast (7 lira/£3.40 ish).

Area
We really liked the area the apartments are in. They are situated in the old town, a fairly affluent residential area. It was always very interesting to walk (turn right out of the gate) 500ms to the bakery, for morning bread, and back. The gardens are full of vegetables and fruit and blossom trees, there are chickens in a few gardens - and unfortunately, one or two chained dogs (that spend their life imprisoned attached by a short chain to a tree). You certainly get a glimpse into ordinary life.

To Conclude
I have really enjoyed my stay here. We arrived at the start of the season so it was quiet - however, more families have started to arrive and it is quite loud and boisterous sometimes around the pool. No bother - the beach is a great place to be!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DebNottinghamUK
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We stayed at Oren Hill in September 2009 after staying in hotels for the previous 4 years. We made friends with the guys there and the other guests. We wouldnt stay anywhere else now. The only snag is its no longer a cheap place. You have to go through Thomson. But guess what. We have. So Tyson, Ali and the crew here I come. September again. Nice room please. 11 out of 10. Its that good.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

An overbooking in the resort by the tour company we used led to a booking with Oren Hill around 10 days pre travel as I was not happy with what the tour company wanted to give us, I read reviews on Oren Hill and we were not at all disappointed in fact we ended up being really pleased our oriignal accommodation was overbooked as on the coach around Icmeler picking up and dropping off there was nothing to match where we were staying.
This was a 3 week holiday so self catering along with eating out was important to us. The self catering faciliites were absolutely fine for us , it's amazing how creative you can be with 2 electric rings and pans, a normal size fridge and crockery for 4 ( there were just the 2 of us and I would have found more than 2 people in the apartment to be too crowded). It was single beds, but on holiday this was not an issue for us , in fact it probably allowed us to sleep better. There is air con in the bedroom at an extra cost of around £5 per day if you want which we paid for and it worked very well. You can also hire a safety deposit box for around £10 per week.
The swimming pool is excellent and was in no way crowded, likewise plenty of sun beds for the time of year we were there. Everywhere was spotlessly clean, rooms were cleaned daily and towels changed around every 3 days ( for those who complain about not having daily towels when self catering do you have daily towels at home?- I suspect not).
Ali who has worked for the family for years was an absolute star, a jack of all trades and always on hand to offer any help or advice, our cleaner Yadighar was also another star. The hotel is positioned at the back of Icmeler in the old town, we really enjoyed the walk to town, there is local transport that stops not far from the apartments for those who require it and taxis were fairly cheap. It was around 15 mins walk to town and 20 down to the beach. It was fabulous to look at the hills and lovely plants when swimming in Orens pool rather than looking at other buildings- I didn't see anywhere else that had this.
Icmeler is a lovley place to go, I would definately recommend a day at Turunc ( a boat trip there and back was lovely and around £6 per person). Marmaris old town was also another lovely stop especiallly watching the evening sun go down. Here are many restaurants we avoided the pie and chips, fish and chips and english breakfast ones as that is not our taste. There is a fab Italian called Le Grotte along the beach promenade and their cocktails are to die for esp the Mohitos. I would definately recommend Oren Hill and Icmeler to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeesdaleMudpies
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Booked this hotel late as the lady we look after wanted a holiday and we love Icmeler, the rooms are not particularily Disable friendly, but I cannot thank the lads there enough especially Tec for all the help they gave us, the rooms are basic but once again enough for our needs, it is near the Wednesday Market behind the school, the only downfall of our room was the machine that was near our room which clicked all night and I am a light sleeper, all in all though not bad at all.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We were staying Oren Apartments and we arrived on Tuesday 29 sept .We read literature supplied by the management and checked the room list of equipment to find lots missing. Before having a shower the attachment fell of the wall. We reported these things in the morning to be told they would be rectified. The room housekeeping was meant to be every 3 days, but it took until the 4th day after complaining for the towels and bedding to be changed and floor was swept and washed on the sunday. Four days later after a second less polite request for housekeeping to be done we were supplied with clean bedding and towels, just to find half the towels were dirty and unusable. The dirty towels were taken to the manager with yet another request for clean towels.In the 2 week stay we had 4 sets of towels,2 sets in 2 days,the penultimate day and the last day of our holiday when we were due to leave. The shower was still not fixed. In the 2 weeks we were there the outer path of the pool was cleaned once and the pool itself was hovered twice. The water jets and filters were combined and kept blowing the electicity supply and that meant the pool was left cloudy and unusable. The staff were less than helpful and hardly spoke. We would not recommend this to my enemies let alone friends.

1  Thank cetdpr