“Have lost their touch”

Restaurante los Almendros del Montgo SC.
Ranked #128 of 342 Restaurants in Javea
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Javea
“Have lost their touch”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have been coming here for many years and my last visit will be the last unless they change managment.
You have two options. 14.95 menu or 19.50. To be honest looking at the restaurant, it feels like you are entering a place that know their food and wine, with nicely dressed tables, a wine cellar next to the bar full of wine, but all you get is tastless food, cold vegetables and unpleasent slow service. What is amazing is that they have around 25 full tables and only two people running around serving!
Wont be coming back here as I said before, only if they change managment.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ChrisTJavea

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Overall A Nice Restaurant For A Change”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Los Almendros is located off the Denia to Javea road near Jesus Pobre, and opposite the Montgo Restaurant. It is nicely decorated, and we sat in the extended area, which had pretty fairy lights in the ceiling, and there is plenty of parking.

First greeting wasn't particularly cheery which should have been an indicator of the rest of the evening's service from this waitress, who I do not think smiled once, and certainly made no effort to engage with us.

On to the food and wine, which was much more positive. Before our starter, we were brought a small glass of hot pea soup, which was delicious as was the pea, onion and tomato mix with rolls, a nice change from alioli. Our friend who was dining with us asked for butter instead, and she was brought a small pat - we were later to find she would be charged €1.25 for this, which we all felt to be somewhat unnecessary, particularly as the menu del dia costs €14.75 over €3 more that the excellent Montgo over the road.

Starters included cauliflower soup, chicken salad,pâté, and grilled vegetables, which I had and were nice. My main course, as a vegetarian was slightly more problematic, but I agreed with the chap who came to take the order that I would have spaghetti in tomato sauce, which was nice although a little boring. My husband and one of our friends had the lamb, and they could not speak highly enough of it. If you like mint sauce though, remember to ask early or you may have to wait for it. Desserts were standard and included crime brûlée, icecream, sorbet and fresh strawberries. In this menu del dia both half a bottle of wine each and coffee were included. I think they should lower the price and not bother with the coffee which I drink black, and was distinctly average.

Overall this restaurant was fine for a change, and my husband would come for the lamb alone,but I wouldn't visit very often, as think there are other places with better food for less money, and certainly cheerier wait staff. There is however a good variety of food on the menu for non-vegetarians, and a daily special as well.

My ideal rating would have been good, better than average, but not yet very good for the factors outlined. Our friends who are regular visitors, were particularly annoyed by being charged extra for butter. Los Almendros is only open in the evenings, and reservations are advised.

• Visited March 2013
Blackpool
“TRY THIS SPANISH RESTAURANT”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very good food and service. Good choice of menu at very good price and half bottle wine.
Be sure to book.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank MALCOLM C
Calpe, Espagne
“Another good surprise”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Well, this is the third restaurant we tried on this road and only good surprises. The competition must be keeping standards high. A very nice restaurant, tastefuly decorated. The menu at 14,75 -€ is available for lunch and dinner, inclusive of 3 courses, wine and coffee, consists of a very large choice of appetizers, main courses and desserts. In addition, you have the daily specials which can be part of the menu. To give you an idea of the choices, we had baked mushrooms (very juicy and tasty), seafood salad, for main course; beef cheeks, grilled lamb chops, baked trout and for desserts, dame Blanche and freshly baked apple tart. All very tasty and well prepared. The wine accompanying the lunch was well balanced and easy to drink. A very good experience again on the Jose Pueblo Javea strip....
Make sure you book.....965790104

1 Thank Michaeldoc
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice meal and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had a nice evening meal here. The restaurant was busy but we didnt have to wait or wait long between main courses. I had a sirloin steak and my partner the fish pasta. Both were well cooked and the steak which I like rare was fine. The prawn and avocado starter sounds very 70's, but the prawns were massive. Out door and indoor seating. Would go again.

• Visited September 2012