“disappointing”

Al Gusto
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The restaurant was way too warm. Service unfriendly and slow. Wine list didn't have much variety. The food was not bad but too rich in sauses. I read great reviews on trip advisor but I was disappointed.

algustoDenia, Owner at Al Gusto, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

We were very surprised to read your review and comments regarding your visit to Al Gusto. During the course of the evening you had indicated that everything had been very good and you had very much enjoyed your meal. We offer a two or three course menu (two courses being starter and main or main and dessert, and three course being one of each) as would be the same anywhere else (one main course per person). Between the two of you, you chose two starters, three main courses and a dessert (ie three 'two course' menus). You then felt there was a problem with the bill and the total cost was more than you had thought. We went to great lengths to try and explain but you were obviously not happy at paying for what you had ordered, and we feel is the basis for your poor review. Our air conditioning system was completely overhauled before the summer and we have had no complaints, apart from it being too cold! As regards the wine list, we offer a total of 32 wines from all over Spain as well as cavas and Champagne, which we think is more than enough choice for a small restaurant.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was doing some late night shopping in Denia because the local fiesta meant that the main shops stayed open even later than usual. I decided to pop into the wonderful, almost secret, space that is the Al Gusto restaurant. Hidden in a narrow side street parallel to the Marquis del Campo it's decor is strikingly modern and deceptively simple and the air conditioning subtly calms you down after the heat of summer outside. I was made to feel very welcome even though I was alone with only my numerous shopping bags for company! The food was as superb as ever, even though I hadn't been there for a long time and the price unexpectedly reasonable. my bill was slightly under 25 euros including 3 courses, a glass of wine, a bottle of sparkling water and a coffee. Do not delay............return if you are familiar with the restaurant or try it out if you've never sampled its wonders! I noted that Tripadvisor has given them an award three years in a row culminating in 2012. Well deserved!

1  Thank Rainbowannie
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Having stumbled upon this restaurant we were blown away. We had no idea that a restaurant this good was hidden away in Denia.
Each course was beautifully presented, but more importantly, tasted unbelievably good. As well as the amazing food, the service was friendly, efficient and not in the least intrusive - in other words spot on.

1  Thank Susan E
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Everything looks ok but not that great like the comments mentioned in tripadvisor. The food was average quality, it could be better and improved. We will definitely be back for our next visit. The atmosphere is pleasant so as the staffs.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are a lover of good food, which is freshly prepared, using top class ingredients, do try Al Gusto! There are excellent choices & the most difficult thing is actually choosing! For dessert, Phil's cheesecake is heavenly & so light.

2  Thank Coachhousesue