“Ogisaka Garden Hotel, Denia, Spain”
Review of Ona Ogisaka Garden

Ona Ogisaka Garden
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Denia
San Marcos, California
“Ogisaka Garden Hotel, Denia, Spain”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is our second, going on third day here and we will stay a bit longer but I have enough to make a pretty worthwhile comment.

First, it is average or mediocre. If you are looking for a four or five star hotel or if you want to feel like you are in a luxurious place, this ain't it. But it is clean, the air conditioning works, it is a little thread bare some places and it's "OK". For us, we were less concerned with niceties because we are gone most of the time and this was really just a place to perch.

Next, when you check in, it takes a while because they try to sign everyone up for a "meal plan" and for shows where you prepay for everything. They figure while they have you there, they will press for this. But just say "No". They press a little more and just be firm. The food may be good but when we travel we like to try different places and we are always somewhere else so it makes no sense for us. If we were older and less mobile, it might make sense.... but why stay and eat at a mediocre hotel?????

The second bad part of that is that there always seems to be a half hour log jam because while people are standing there waiting to get a clerk so they can check in, the clerks are all trying to sell meal packages so you are standing there waiting for all these check-in people in front of you going through the sales pitches. This is a very bad practice and says to me that they literally don't care how much everyone is inconvenienced because they want to nab people at the get-go.
You could wait there a half an hour easily if not more.

It seems to be a big family hotel as well and that's fine if you have kids but I would rather not swim in a pool where kids have been peeing all day.

A good thing is that is it about two blocks from the very nice Denia beach. There are convenient "supermercados" nearby so it is a convenient location.

I heard it said that the internet is not always working well. I had no trouble except that I had to go every day to get a new password and login from the front desk. Something is wrong but they are not disposed to address it.

So bottomline is that it is good enough to stay but its not classy or luxurious. We generally like to stay in something at least as nice as our house while on vacation and this place doesn't come close. It's OK but not much more than that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bgkrider
OnaHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ona Ogisaka Garden, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear guest,

From Ona Ogisaka Garden we want to thank you for the time taken in posting your opinion in regard to your experience in our aparthotel.
Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated, thanks to them, we can identify our weak points and at the same time, make improvements in our service.
I remain at your disposal and hope to welcome you again in the near future, when you will be able to appreciate all the developments that have taken place.

Kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had booked this through Interval International and upon arrival we were told that we were very important to them so they had a (very special offer for us ?) The receptionist spent 30 mins trying to sell us there meal deal and a night out after he finally got the message that we didnt want it (he wasnt to happy) he gave us out room key. I must admit the room was clean and had all that you required (in fridge a carton of milk and a carton of orange juice and a welcome pack with tea coffee ect. nice touch). Once settled I went back to reception to ask what the Wi-fi password was and ask for my safe key, I was told no Wifi not working although they still had the cardboard avertising card on the reception counter and that I couldnt get the safe key as the last person went home with it. I said well something has to be done becauise i am not walking about going to the beach ect. all week with my passports money and travel docs ect. His atitude was basically take it or leave it there was nothing he could do so after I firmly stood my ground I was assurred that I would get transferred to another room as soon as one came up. After wasting the day the next morning I went to reception to find out that the day staff new nothing about it and the same atitude nothing they could do, so i said fine here is all my money passports ect you sign for it and put in your safe to which I got no we dont do that so I really went to town and after another morning wasted and some heated exchanges I finnally was put in a room with a safe and key. the day and a half that we had wasted in the complex gave us the chance to sample the joys of this complex. screaming kids running all over the place a childrens entertainer who did not need a microphone but insisted on using it the the smell of food coming from the restaurant ect. The only saving grace was that the beach was only a five minute walk and it was stunning with a beach bar, and at night the marina is a 15 minute walk with some great restaurants. The one night we stayed in we decided we would have a couple of burgers from the snack menu, bad move, I am sure that everyone has been at a concert or sports stadium and bought a burger from the vans well imagine your worst burger and double it that was what we got. The area around the complex is stunning the beach the marina and the town. As far as my wife and myself are concered the Ogisaka Gardens are nothing but a cheap package holiday. I really cant believe that Interval International have put their name to this place. I can honestly say it was shocking.

Room Tip: Away from pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas I
Dear guest,

First of all, let me thank you for the time you have spent on sharing your opinion of your stay at Ona Ogisaka Garden.
It is thanks to these comments that we can detect our errors and therefore implement changes to improve our quality.
Making our customers satisfied is our main objective; therefore, day after day the whole team strives to offer our customers a better service than that perhaps expected. We regret that on this occasion we have not been able to achieve this objective.

Best regards,

Travelers are raving about these Denia hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

On arrival at the apartments a day earlier than booked we offered a 'very special deal' a night in a 'very nice' apartment which worked out at 99 euro for the night and the same apartment for the rest of the stay. For this special deal we had to take all meals in the hotel for the rest of the week the cost working out at approx 80 euro per day. A room alone would cost 134 Euro!!! A smart five star hotel opposite only cost 99 euro, we declined. The following day when taking up the time share we were in a queue of people waiting to book in, a large group of Spanish people pushed forward and were attended to first, I politely brought this to the attention of the reception staff who informed me he had to the listen to the 'majority', not difficult as there were only two of us and six or eight of them! On booking in we were allocated a room and again declined their offer of eating in the hotel restaurant and paying to use the spa and indoor pool. We were put into a room different to the one stated on the certificate, this room was free as we were accidentally offered the keys and on realising their 'mistake' took them back. When queried told the 'unit number' on the certificate was a reference number they used not the room we had been allocated!! A ground floor apartment facing the pool, facing our door was the outside door leading to the road, two large walk in cleaning cupboards and the lift. This apartment we were told was superior to the second floor apartment in a quieter part of the complex? Luckily the place wasn't cleaned much so the noise didn't disturb us and not many people chose to use the lift. The bar television was a little loud as the resort had only Spanish TV, apartments as well, a little frustrating at times. The restaurant looked clean but soleless. Blocked drain in the bathroom and plug not intended for use in the kitchen, so couldn't wash up only rinse!!! all reported but to no avail.

Great food and very reasonably priced down by the harbour! Denia is great and will return but not to the Ogisaka Garden! Been exchanging regularly for 10 yrs this is worst place I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Different accommodation
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I would like to reiterate my express if your stay was not as expected. The whole Ona Ogisaka Garden team strives daily to provide the best service and to provide maximum satisfaction to our customers.

We welcome suggestions and comments, thanks to them we can detect our weaknesses and at the same time, make improvements to our service.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future in order to show you our interest in satisfying our customers.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Ogisaka Garden – strange name for a apartment/hotel in Spain but whatever. We planned to visit this condo as part of our honeymoon. Our GPS took us through some narrow streets lined with industrial properties, abandoned houses and just not so enticing views. When we got to the resort, I guess I was entering with a bad attitude figuring ‘what did I do!’.

Yet, Ogisaka Garden proved to be a more than decent resort with a great location. We had a one bedroom unit that faced the courtyard. There was a nice kitchen/eating area, a living room with a flat screen television, patio with 2 chairs, a table and a drying rack. The kitchen came stocked with Orange Juice, Milk and water plus some crackers – it was a nice touch to start. There was a 2 burner (radiant heat) stove, a refrigerator, sink and washing machine (no dryer thus the rack). There was a table with 4 chairs. Everything was in fine working order and there were plenty of clean plates, cooking items and the counters were wiped perfectly clean when we arrived.

The bathroom was recently redone and worked well. The floors and walls were new tile. The shower was a bit light for my liking but the water was hot without any issues. Our bedroom came with multiple pillows and extra blankets and sheets. The only drawback for this honeymoon couple was the double was really two twin beds pushed together which quickly split apart when you rolled over for a kiss!

We never ate at the resort although the reception team did a great job trying to sell us the food package (as RCI members the food was not included). There were nightly shows and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. The rate was 49 Euros per day per couple for breakfast and dinner. Not a bad price but we like to explore more.

It was pretty cold out so we didn’t use the outdoor pool. The stock photos are a bit misleading as it looks much bigger than it actually was. It was still nice looking. The indoor pool looked great and there were plenty of people enjoying the facilities (which included Sauna and Jacuzzi). There was also a nice spa and exercise room.

The resort was in walking distance to the town. In fact there were two grocery stores within a 5-10 minute walk. The town of Denia was a wonderful place to visit. Surely go off the normal waterfront path. There are surely good places to eat and drink there but the gems of this town were the places off the beaten paths – the small restaurants and gelato shops and stores that were the heart of Denia. Everyone there was wonderful and helped us get through even though we spoke little Spanish.

So to summarize I guess (I could talk about Denia for a lot longer) Ogisaka Gardens was a great place. My wife has been to many European Countries and said these facilities were far better than most she’s stayed at. Denia is a wonderful place to visit with beautiful beaches, amazing architecture and food everywhere! ENJOY IT!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank TheNotarangelos
Dear guest,

Thank you for your time and for sharing your opinion with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our resort.
We are sure that all your suggestions will help other customers to enjoy their stay at Ona Ogisaka Garden even more.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed for one night booked at short notice via Hotels.com for around £33 room only.

Arrived quite late 11pm and despite a few language issues (previously reported in reviews for this hotel), was allocated a nice room, facing towards the road away from the pool.

Room more geared for self catering trade in the summer months, with cutlery, crockery, microwave, cleaning kits etc, 2 x TV's (one in the living area and one in the bedroom), plus extra blankets and pillows for the bedroom if required. The room was located around 2 minutes from reception, although to get there, you have to carry your luggage through a winding path which crosses over a narrow bridge over the swimming pool (caution is required if negotiating this route in wet weather).

Breakfast is available on site, typically continental cooked meats, fried eggs, cereal and bread selections. Staff were cheerful and attentive. Plenty of vending machines with snacks, drinks etc located outside of the restaurant for self catering brigade, and also an on site cafeteria too.

10 minute stroll takes you down to the nice Marina with a nice selection of restaurants, shops etc, and a further 10 minute walk in the middle of town too, plentiful free parking around the property, although this may have been due to the winter period.

There were 2 computer terminals in the reception area for gust use, but I am unsure if there is a charge for this.

Would agree that the decor is somewhat dated, but this did not affect our stay and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank foxystoat1
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the time spent in sharing your opinion through TripAdvisor.
We are sure that your comments will help other users to enjoy their stay with us even more.
The whole Ona Ogisaka Garden team strives daily to fulfil the wishes of our guests and our ultimate reward is customer satisfaction.
We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on your next visit.

Picton, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2011

After reading some of the reviews we were abit leary, but when we arrived at our destination, from a long flight and drive - we were greeted with a smile and a good clean room. They had great beds for that first night sleep. It was nice to find some food in the fridge and coffee for the first morning. The grocery store is a short walk around the corner so you can fill your fridge with two euro wine and three euro beer!. What more could you want - oh yes, the beach, well you just had to roll down the hill and across the road onto the sand. Then into the warm water.
If you did get hungry while snoozing on the beach you can walk across the street for a great take-out burger from 'Arena Bar & Restaurant' - the best burger you will have!!
As for the resort. The entertainment was fun, the pool was good and cool and the rooms were clean and the air-co worked. Only thing missing is English TV. But, then who goes on vacation to watch TV. Much better to watch the sun go down in the Med.
Would not hesitate to recommend this resort to a family or someone who is used to Spanish style living... ceramic tiles on the floor and just good clean rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Janneke S
Dear guest,

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel on your next visit.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed at the Ogisaka in October for 6 days. This was not what the 5 of us expected. I would not stay here again. The rooms need updating, the beds were awful and the pool wasn't kept clean. We had issues with the Televisions in both rooms and when addressed with the staff they were unable to fix it for several days. The grounds themselves were not well kept.They also tried to sell different meal plans for our stay when we checked in. They were worse than a car dealership. Although the staff was very nice they were not very knowledgeable of any activities in the area. What a disappointment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Minnietink23
Dear guest,

I would like to express my apologies if your stay was not as expected. The whole Ona Ogisaka Garden team strives daily to provide the best service and to provide maximum satisfaction to our customers.