“Good if you like golf; poor service”

Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Denia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The positives: a great golf course (if this is your thing) and stunning mountain views. If you are after sea views, forget it - you are some distance from the sea.

This feels like a down at heel Marriott hotel - more the sort of overnight business hotel that I've encountered in the US than a 'resort' hotel.

The rooms are fine and the beds very comfortable but be warned that the walls are thin - if you have neighbors you will hear their conversations (and the, yours).

It's fine and I would stay there again (for the record we were there for a few nights before Christmas), if in the vicinity but this is not somewhere I would actively seek to to go and stay.

The major problem is the service - a sufficient number of staff are surly and disinterested to be a problem. Not all the staff are of this demeanor but in general you are made to feel like they are the guests and everything they are doing is an effort. Not good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Samesamela

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at this resort last summer (2012) as a family and really enjoyed ourselves. To be fair, we were rarely at the hotel as our friends lived in Moraira and we spent most days at the beach. The swimming pool was fabulous and our son practically lived in it when did return from a day out. It was never over crowded and very clean around the hotel. The rooms were typical Marriott, very large, well dressed, comfortable with great views over the pool and golf course. I can't comment on the food as we never ate in but breakfast was good. We did see a beautiful wedding one evening but it never affected us with the noise as they went inside ( and let's be fair, it wasn't a British wedding, so there was never any fear of loud drunks). Very nice and would return.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room with a view over the pool / golf course
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kate29
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I write this review with sadness. My husband and myselfa ttended a function on 28th December and stayed overnight. We found that the quality of food and service to be lacking in what we think should be required of this type of hotel.We think that the whole place looks tired. We found the bed to be very hard and uncomfortable The breakfast was of a poor quality and not hot and fresh and the plates were cold. We had also previously booked for Christmas Day Lunch which again was considerably below expectations. I would like to add that Iwe have been going to the Marriott Denia on and off for a number of years. It had always been excellent.

Room Tip: My tip to other travellers, just use the golf course until things improve
4  Thank gjune
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for a week over Christmas. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would return. We had a pool/golf course view room which is the side of the hotel to be on for the sun. Our balcony had sun from around 11am until sunset and was perfect. The whole hotel has a relaxed, smart feel to it and the pool area is stunning with exceptional views of the Montgo National Park. The location is very lovely - do note that without a car it may be difficult, although the trainline is nearby and I saw lots of bus stops. The hotel is situated between the two villages of La Xara and Jesus Pobre, which are very peaceful. Supermarket in La Xara is a five-minute drive. Lots to see in the area and Valencia, Gandia, Denia, Murcia and Alicante all close enough for days out. We loved the experience and would return. The service was truely 5* in our experience, and early in our stay we requested to move rooms to one with a balcony on a sunnier angle and this request was met graciously. The hotel restaurant Montgo has a wide range of foods with the pizzas being particularly good for lunch - thin bases and baked in a real pizza oven. Lovely range of meats too including duck which was excellent. Many local residents visit the hotel restaurant, as well as the spa. Breakfast was included in our rate and was very good - a wide range of international foods and hot food cooked to order. The best value thing was the EUR 17 'spa experience' which gives you access to all the sauna/caldarium/massage hydrotherapy pools for as long as you wish - you could spend several hours there and then enjoy the 'zen' room with free teas etc. The only minor criticism I would make is that some amenities - in the rooms, not the public areas - may be more for a 4* hotel rather than a 5*. I know that Marriott hotels have the same bathrooms worldwide with no shower cubicle but a shower over the bath, but I felt that the bathroom was not really 5*. This is the only thing I would say on the negative side, but our stay was still fantastic value. I plan to return next Christmas with my mum and family!

4  Thank tjh2
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Great hotel !
I was there in October 2012 v in one night, but I can recommend this hotel. The hotel is a golf hotel, but I do not play golf. Nevertheless, I can recommend this hotel. The hotel rooms are really lovely and the hotel's environmental fine. This is the room the child families, but also for the other, even if you do not playing golf.
Room decor was very romantic and I recommend this hotel even if the newly wedded couples. The hotel was a short (by taxi) to the beach, with lots of good restaurants. But you can also stay in the hotel restaurant, which is also a good place.
Denia is very nice area and I thik, that sometimes I will come back to hotel.

Thaks to the Hotel.

Room Tip: I think, that all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PVeli
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Simply the worst service we have ever experienced in any hotel, of any class, anywhere in the world. I have often found that if things go wrong, that great hotel's and their staff overcome and fix them quickly. Sadly not the case here. I complained to the hotel's General Manager and hoped he would act to improve the shamblolic organisation and service supporting dinner at an event where all the guests were similarly disgusted. He could not have cared less, and did nothing. I am a former Black Level Member of Marriott's Club Marquis having stayed with them all over Europe and in the USA. The Denia Marriott sadly falls short of the group's usual high standard of customer care.

5  Thank Mark B
Reviewed December 7, 2012

First thing is its hard to find, almost impossible when the sun has gone down and without a satnav. The staff are excellent and show a lot more life than the tired hotel does. Good bedrooms, spacious and comfortable but lacking the quality that would make the hotel stand out from the rest. Big box TV and thin ageing towels are a major disappointment but there is good value to be had with some outstanding deals.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howard G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denia
La Posada del Mar
Daniya Denia
Daniya Denia
#24 of 34 in Denia
Hotel SH Villa Gadea

Been to Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!