“Sad to see the decline of this hotel”

Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Denia
altea
“Sad to see the decline of this hotel”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I write this review with sadness. My husband and myselfa ttended a function on 28th December and stayed overnight. We found that the quality of food and service to be lacking in what we think should be required of this type of hotel.We think that the whole place looks tired. We found the bed to be very hard and uncomfortable The breakfast was of a poor quality and not hot and fresh and the plates were cold. We had also previously booked for Christmas Day Lunch which again was considerably below expectations. I would like to add that Iwe have been going to the Marriott Denia on and off for a number of years. It had always been excellent.

Room Tip: My tip to other travellers, just use the golf course until things improve
4 Thank gjune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for a week over Christmas. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and would return. We had a pool/golf course view room which is the side of the hotel to be on for the sun. Our balcony had sun from around 11am until sunset and was perfect. The whole hotel has a relaxed, smart feel to it and the pool area is stunning with exceptional views of the Montgo National Park. The location is very lovely - do note that without a car it may be difficult, although the trainline is nearby and I saw lots of bus stops. The hotel is situated between the two villages of La Xara and Jesus Pobre, which are very peaceful. Supermarket in La Xara is a five-minute drive. Lots to see in the area and Valencia, Gandia, Denia, Murcia and Alicante all close enough for days out. We loved the experience and would return. The service was truely 5* in our experience, and early in our stay we requested to move rooms to one with a balcony on a sunnier angle and this request was met graciously. The hotel restaurant Montgo has a wide range of foods with the pizzas being particularly good for lunch - thin bases and baked in a real pizza oven. Lovely range of meats too including duck which was excellent. Many local residents visit the hotel restaurant, as well as the spa. Breakfast was included in our rate and was very good - a wide range of international foods and hot food cooked to order. The best value thing was the EUR 17 'spa experience' which gives you access to all the sauna/caldarium/massage hydrotherapy pools for as long as you wish - you could spend several hours there and then enjoy the 'zen' room with free teas etc. The only minor criticism I would make is that some amenities - in the rooms, not the public areas - may be more for a 4* hotel rather than a 5*. I know that Marriott hotels have the same bathrooms worldwide with no shower cubicle but a shower over the bath, but I felt that the bathroom was not really 5*. This is the only thing I would say on the negative side, but our stay was still fantastic value. I plan to return next Christmas with my mum and family!

4 Thank tjh2
Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Great hotel !
I was there in October 2012 v in one night, but I can recommend this hotel. The hotel is a golf hotel, but I do not play golf. Nevertheless, I can recommend this hotel. The hotel rooms are really lovely and the hotel's environmental fine. This is the room the child families, but also for the other, even if you do not playing golf.
Room decor was very romantic and I recommend this hotel even if the newly wedded couples. The hotel was a short (by taxi) to the beach, with lots of good restaurants. But you can also stay in the hotel restaurant, which is also a good place.
Denia is very nice area and I thik, that sometimes I will come back to hotel.

Thaks to the Hotel.

Room Tip: I think, that all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PVeli
Moraira, Spain
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Simply the worst service we have ever experienced in any hotel, of any class, anywhere in the world. I have often found that if things go wrong, that great hotel's and their staff overcome and fix them quickly. Sadly not the case here. I complained to the hotel's General Manager and hoped he would act to improve the shamblolic organisation and service supporting dinner at an event where all the guests were similarly disgusted. He could not have cared less, and did nothing. I am a former Black Level Member of Marriott's Club Marquis having stayed with them all over Europe and in the USA. The Denia Marriott sadly falls short of the group's usual high standard of customer care.

5 Thank Mark B
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

First thing is its hard to find, almost impossible when the sun has gone down and without a satnav. The staff are excellent and show a lot more life than the tired hotel does. Good bedrooms, spacious and comfortable but lacking the quality that would make the hotel stand out from the rest. Big box TV and thin ageing towels are a major disappointment but there is good value to be had with some outstanding deals.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Howard G
Javea, Spain
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I only live up the road from this hotel but we don't have a bath in our villa and I was in desperate need of a lovely long soak, I was not disappointed. We checked in early at 2 pm and did not expect our room to be ready but it was, also the cava upon check in is a nice treat. Our room overlooked the car park but that was fine as we were only staying for one night, we did not manage to get the wifi in the room but did not have a problem in the downstairs bar, the room was quite big and nicely furnished and the bathroom was lovely with a bath and shower and plenty of hot water. For some reason when we booked our package it worked out cheaper to include the spa and we also paid a bit extra for half board. The spa was a disappointment, as another reviewer has mentioned before the candles weren't lit and it all seemed a bit dismall really, also the hydrotherapy pool was quite cold. Dinner in the Montgo restaurant was lovely, it was just as well we were half board though as we worked out it would have cost around seventy euros for our meal, the service was very fast, a little too quick really, the people next to us hadn't finished their starters and the main course arrived. The drinks in the bar weren't too pricey I think it was three
euros for a glass of wine and there was a pianist playing which was nice. The buffet breakfast was delicious with a large choice. I ordered a room service tea and coffee in the morning and it cost eleven euros . I could imagine in the summer the outside pool area would be wonderful. The hotel is a bit remote and I wouldn't recommend it for a family beach holiday, but for our break it was perfect.

Room Tip: For just one night the cheaper rooms overlooking the car park are fine, but for a longer holiday I w...
Huizen, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 25, 2012

As we stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in the late autumn, the place was quiet: exactly why we had chosen this period.
To be honest: without the help of a GPS [broken!] the hotel is very hard to find. Which means at the same time that – when you are finally there – it proves to be in a quiet surrounding. And the search is compensated by a glass of cava on arrival.
The rooms were comfortable in the typical Marriott style, but – admittedly – in some aspects somewhat outdated. And the shower could be better.
The water was too cold for a swim, but the pool looked very attractive, as the other outside facilities.
The staff is attentive: especially during breakfast. And breakfast itself is awesome: nothing to complain about there.
All over the hotel were signs directing to ice machines: we followed them all but we did not find one. The lobby bar provided the missing ice without any problem. A very nice touch is that in the lobby a large selection of newspapers from many countries is available for reading. And: connecting to the internet was free (as it should be in hotels in this category).
We can’t judge about the Denia Marriott in high season. But otherwise it is a good and quiet location to relax. A car is essential. And a functioning GPS as well, to find the way to and from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denia
Port Denia
#6 of 34 in Denia
HOTEL SH IFACH
HOTEL SH IFACH
#4 of 31 in Calpe

Been to Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!