“DONT BELIEVE THE BAD REVIEWS - LOVELY PLACE TO STAY FOR FAMILIES AND GOLF LOVERS”

Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Denia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Having recently returned from this hotel, I’m a little shocked by some of the reviews on this website. The bad reviews were simply not borne out. I do note however that some of the poor reviews are from Platinum Marriot Club card holders – I think their main gripe is that they weren’t ‘sucked up to’ enough.

This isn’t a city hotel – it is more like a country club with facilities and as such it has a much more laid back atmosphere – people expecting the red carpet to be rolled out really ought to look elsewhere.

This was a lovely hotel and one I’d highly recommend especially if you love golf or have children.

To answer some of the complaints people have made in other reviews first:-

It’s on a main road – no it is not! All hotels are on roads otherwise you would walk across a field to get to it! This hotel is located on a country ‘cv’ road which in Spain means a single carriageway in each direction. It is not a busy road and given the sound proofing you wouldn’t hear the traffic anyway. Most of the rooms over look the pool or golf course so it’s only a small proportion of rooms that look out on the road (and mountains I may add)

The staff was rude or dismissive – This again was totally unfounded. We were greeted with a drink within seconds of arrival and the staff couldn’t do enough for us. They were especially sweet to my 3 year old and really put themselves out for her. They gave her extra padding for her seat at the dinner table to lift her up and we really concerned when she was ill (not hotels fault I may add). The Staff were really helpful with maps, suggestions for days out and all the other stupid questions that tourists ask. The staff spoke English, French and German.

The pool was too small – nonsense. If you want an Olympic size pool go and visit one – this hotels pool was just the right size. It was an interesting shape i.e. not just square and had differing depths and a whirlpool. What I especially loved was that at one end there was a large circular entrance where the pool gradually got deeper. It was perfect for children and babies as they could play at a depth that they were comfortable with. There were plenty of loungers with plenty in the shade and in the sun. There was a pool side bar with waiter service which also served lunch. It wasn’t intrusive and although music played – again this wasn’t very loud and was really only for the benefit of the dinners.

The hotel was dirty – this is NONSENSE! The hotel was spotless throughout. Even the toilets by the pool were first class and immaculate. There always seemed to be cleaners about, even at 11 pm and 3 am. I never saw one dirty aspect of this hotel.

The interior is tired – I didn’t find this save for the wicker chairs on the balcony which could have done with a repaint – but again give that this is hotel has a country club type of feel I didn’t really care – perhaps in a swish city hotel you would expect better but here it didn’t make a difference.

Turning to the main plus points

The location – my only criticism is that this hotel is hard to find. It is 53 miles from Alicante airport but as this is by motorway (essentially a dual carriageway) it was an easy ride. After the exit at junction 62 however, the hotel isn’t sign posted and its very confusing. It is located on the CV735 half way between Denia and Javea (or Xavia). It is sits alone in a rural location and is quite a large complex comprising the hotel, apartments and the Golf academy. That said it isn’t oppressive in anyway and the apartments have their own pool and facilities. The beaches are no more than 10 minutes away (and beautiful). You will need a hire car. Denia’s beach is sandy and there is a street market at night. Javea however has a stony beach but fabulous sea front restaurants and a lovely vibe at night.

The Golf Academy. I don’t play golf but I was with people who did. They said the Course, range and academy were world class and it did look very professional. There is a separate club house which was very swish which hotel guests can use and which was reasonably priced.

The Restaurants – there are two restaurants which served excellent food and reasonably priced given that it is a 5 star hotel.

The Spa – this was lovely and had its own whirlpool/therapy pools and sun deck area. The treatments were reasonably priced and every day there was a special offer. I didn’t use the Spa but it certainly looked both quite and lush.

The Room – we had a deluxe with a pool view. Two queen sized beds. The room was immaculate with crisp white linen and nice smellies in the bathroom. My only criticism was that there were only 2 English speaking channels on the Television (both news) unless you paid a one off 23 euro fee for English channels and films. The room didn’t have a kettle or bathrobes but once we rang reception they were quickly provided as was Ice when asked for.

At the weekend there were functions or theme nights in the hotel and they were noisy but the sound proofing in the room meant that at most it was a muffle. All noise stopped at 11pm.

Strangely the Hotel’s web site fails to mention the Kids club which I though was a real plus. It has a clubhouse which was purpose built and slightly away from the main hotel, with a ball pit and mini cinema. It runs form 27th June to 2nd of September and is well organised and staffed. There is a published timetable of activities running from 10 am to 7 pm. The club is for 4 – 12 year olds and includes dance lessons, golf lessons and swimming play. The staff were lovely. It was 5 euros per hour or 35 a day during the week and 25 at weekends. There was a special rate for the week which I think was 170 euros.

When we asked for a put-me-up bed for my daughter they brought it straight away – along with her own beach towel and extra smellies for her. The maid used to arrange her towels in the shape of animals – very sweet and a my daughter loved it.

The cooked breakfast was varied and plentiful and the orange juice was to die for. We normally took tea after breakfast in the lobby where there were foreign news papers included English.

I really liked this hotel and I met a number of couples and families who had been going for years. Whilst busy the Hotel and pool never felt crowded. I really enjoyed my stay and found it to be a good base from which to explore. Valencia is about 50 minutes away.

Two further things :-

Car hire – be careful. It seems the doNe thing now is to charge you for a tank of petrol at the point of hire and allow you to bring the car back empty. We were totally robbed on the cost of the fuel by the car hire company who added an ‘uplift’ – a tank was £100

Directions to the hotel ;-

From the airport follow signs for Valencia

Exit junction 62

At the toll gate, immediately after the toll are two signs – straight on Denia – left Alicante / Javea (Xabia)

Take the Alicante turn.

This filters you on the N332

After 200 yards on the left are signs for Denia / Pedreguer

Take this turn (cv724)

At the island turn left for Denia

Follow the road until you get to La Xara

After you enter the village on the left is a red brick building with a large yellow H on top ( it’s a hostel) – immediately after this building turn left –

Follow this road for 3 – 4 miles ( over the train tracks and in to the country side )

Once you think you have gone too far – the hotel will be on the left.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: got fabulous deal from voyage prive
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank tennyson
There are newer reviews for Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Please see attached photos re cleanliness on terrace. Shocking. Broken pug in batroom. Room not serviced till 17h and look at the precision the towels were placed on the rack! Surely Marriot five star SOP are better than this. Twin room with only one reading light between two beds! On complaining to the front desk, showing them the attached photos I was sent a small rather hurriedly put together fruit plate with a note apologizing for the inconveniences! Wow filthy terrace, lack of procedures, standards, no supervision and a total lack of management or TQM. On departure I requested the GM business card at departure I was refused and told to email the general info email address.

I shall be taking this further.

I hope the photos I am up loaded as they clearly show the lack of standards at this property.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank Gavten
Reviewed June 30, 2011

The resort was beautiful but not close to anything else. A car is essential. We found the hotel staff VERY unfriendly and brusque. The (only) restaurant on site was OK, but watch out! They will overcharge you at any opportunity! We were charged for an incredible 66 portions of bread when there were only 6 of us. The General Manager claimed that "This happens all the time, it's the computer's fault!" He was very off hand when we complained. We noticed that we were not the only people to be overcharged.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spend 6 very enjoyable days/nights here. During our stay we played two round of golf on the La Sella course at the preferential guest rate. The course (Yellow & Red 9's) was in excellent condition. We use a selection of the dining options, main restaurant, bar food, and room service. All provided very good fare at reasonable prices for a 5* hotel. The buffet breakfast was the highlight. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The pool was a good size and not crowded during out stay. There were plenty of loungers and pool towels are provided in your room. Our room had a 'golf course' view and slightly overlook the pool/spa area. Everything in the room was first class.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We recently stayed for three nights at the Marriott Denia La Sella. The hotel is indeed an oasis among a sea of vacation homes and orange groves. We found the rooms to be impeccably clean and the housekeeping service top notch. Staff were professional although we did observe an occasional attitude/ I wasn't greeted as a Marriott Platinum member, but when I pointed it out they were quick to offer me the usual amenity or bonus points.

We didn't have any meals at the hotel other than breakfast. The breakfast buffet is reasonably diverse, and the hotel serves the best fresh-squeezed orange juice I've ever tasted in a hotel restaurant (not surprisingly, since it is surrounded by groves of exceptional Valencia oranges).

One hint: if you're driving to the hotel, don't bother to use directions from Google maps. We tried and ended up driving all over the area in despair. The directions available at the hotel web site are better, although incomplete. The trick is to look for signs for the back road to Javea (also spelled Xabia) when you reach the small village of La Xara. There's also a small "Golf La Sella" sign at the same corner. Take this road and follow the signs in the direction of Xabia. You will get to the hotel within a few kilometers. I attached a picture of the Xabia turnoff for the reference of future guests.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mooneydriver
Reviewed May 29, 2011

And rumours of it's sale by Marriott may be well founded.Just visited for a week at end May 2011-and will not go back.
Good points are location,quiet rooms and nearby places to visit and Wi-fi
Bad points-and there are a lot:
Indifferent service-they nearly all seemed unmotivated.
Montgo restaurant poor quality-and smoking allowed on the terrace at breakfast?
Many facilities not open-and ice machines on floor 2 kaputt!
Lumpy beds
No bathrobes or turn- down service
No bath/shower gel-just shampoo and conditioner
Very thin,old & smallish bath towels
Old CRT TV with poor satellite selection-need to get modern!
Dirty marks on carpets and furniture a bit "bashed"
Many poolside umbrellas were broken.
poolside beds are metallic and not very comfortable and should be better if 5 star.
On checking out was told there was no-one available to get the bags from my room.Good job I wasn't in a hurry.
Golf expensive(for Brits)-130 eurosfor two in buggy
As said above not anywhere near 5 star-other guest to whom we spoke said the same.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bdrivers
Reviewed May 26, 2011

As a Marriott Platinum member, I always seek out Marriotts when I travel. In this case, I needed a hotel as a mid-point stop between Andalusia and Barcelona. Although the staff did not acknowledge my elite status at check-in as most other Marriotts do, when prompted they did note the free breakfast (included in my rate anyway) and Wi-Fi. Aside from this, the hotel turned out to be a delightful oasis along the Costa Blanca near Denia and its mediterranean beaches. Beautiful pool, charming rolling hillside views, and a very quiet room. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've had at a Marriott in Europe. Parking is free and plentiful around the resort, too. I'm glad I came upon this little gem, even if my stay was only two nights.

Room Tip: Avoid pool view rooms if you seek a quiet location
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CleopatraBunny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denia
Port Denia
#12 of 34 in Denia
Hotel SH Villa Gadea
Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
Oliva Nova Beach & Golf Hotel

Been to Denia La Sella Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!