“Ants an all our bags!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Camp Verde
Phoenix, Az
“Ants an all our bags!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a so-so visit for us. Very slow check in, room not too bad. Larger screen TV was nice, and shuttle to the casino that picks you up at your door. (Rooms have doors that lead outside to parking.) Fairly quiet, although some beer cans in the parking lot in the morning. But what ruined the whole deal was when we got home our suitcases were crawling with ants! Never seen anything like it, but in a two night stay we were infested by biting ants! Just stay somewhere else, this is unacceptable and inexcusable!

Room Tip: If you have to stay at this place, get the first floor. No elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Investorshm, Guest Relations Manager at Cliff Castle Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for sending us feedback regarding your stay with us and we apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. The hotel does have regular monthly pest control and after checking the records there were no reports of biting ants. The hotel staff and management strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

we were on a roadtrip and arrived early in the day...they didn't have the one bed room ready yet so we took two bed room....carpet was filthy,I've stayed in alot of places and this is the first one i did not walk around barefoot in...we don't spend a lot of time in the room so we stayed....they put us way at the end of a long building,i really didn't feel safe....we got our sleep in,didn't even shower,headed out at 5a.m. get the heck outta there

• Stayed August 2013
Investorshm, Guest Relations Manager at Cliff Castle Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your stay. The hotel staff and management strive to deliver the best overall hotel experience for each of our guest's. The majority of comments about our hotel are very positive and your experience was certainly the exception and not the rule. We can assure you that we will exceed all of your expectations during your next stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Camp Verde hotels

Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed at the hotel over 4th of July trip. Enjoyed playing at the casino and rafting down the Verde River. Hotel staff was very accommodating, even with a phone request for a pet accommodation the date of our arrival. Rooms were clean, service was excellent at the restaurant and the shuttle rarely was more than 10 minutes wait time. A great experience so close to home in Phoenix. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RichB30
Investorshm, Guest Relations Manager at Cliff Castle Casino Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Rich,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your stay with us. The hotel staff and management strive to deliver the best overall hotel experience for each of our guest's and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Valley residents, after reading several poor comments regarding this casino I would like to update you about our bus tour on June 17, 2013. We were picked up in south Scottsdale Via a deluxe motor coach and taken to the casino round trip for $10 bucks. This included for the first timers a $25 dollar game play plus a free buffet lunch in a very clean and friendly environment. The buffet is not ten stars... however it is good food and plenty of it. Starting off with a salad bar with the following items, fresh cut romaine or iceberg lettuce mixture with the following ingredients
potato salad, coleslaw, pasta salad, shrimp, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, jack cheese, black olives, cherry tomatoes, red onions, broccoli, jalapenos, croutons, fresh cut fruit, assorted breads and rolls and today's soup was hearty chicken noodle.... Entrees for today were Spanish rice with baked chicken breast, fresh asparagus spears, honey baked ham, peas and carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried catfish, mac and cheese, chicken tenders, french fries, rolled beef tacos and pasta. Dessert bar with over ten offerings including soft serve ice cream and unlimited beverages... Plus great service... Give it a try best deal in AZ...

P.S. The casino does not smell like smoke.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank George S
George,
We appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments regarding the Cliff Castle Casino. The entire staff and management work diligently to deliver the best overall experience and we are thrilled that you had a great time. The bus service to the Valley is very convenient and has been a huge success; we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We made reservations online for the suite well in advance of our trip, because I like to leave nothing to chance. I choose the Suite because it offered a jacuzzi and I wanted us to have a nice relaxed evening after being out in nature all day.
Well, that was a great dissapointment. We arrived just before 6pm and the receptionist Stephanie was clearly overwhelmed and I must say, not the super friendliest. I had booked the suite because of the Jacuzzi, but also made special request's because my husband is dissabled. They were going to put us upstairs which would not have been a problem, but for the fact that they do not have an elevator, only stairs. When I pointed out the difficulties, they did find a suite on the bottom floor, but were not sure if it was clean or not. My thought is, if you allow check in at 4pm, should a room not be ready by 6pm? Especially when their check out is at 11 pm?
Anyways, it took almost 10 minutes to find out by the 2nd receptionist if that room was cleaned. While standing there and waiting and waiting, watching the befuddled Stephanie trying to finish our paperwork, I said, just cancel this reservation and don't worry about it. We will just find another hotel to stay at. But by then, the other lady came back and insisted that the room was ready and to just give us the keys.
I would like to add that I have dealt with other Native Americans before, but never felt so rudely treated as I did with those two. Customers service is obviously not high on the list at this "Hotel."
We get to the room, it was semi clean. The Jacuzzi turned out to be just a bathtub, which when my husband tried to use, the bath mat, would not stay in, and the water flew over the rim. Not a romantic, comfortable end to the day.
We were told by Stephanie we could call a shuttle to take us up the hill to the Casino. But after waiting for well over 15 min. we just decided to take our car because we were just to hungry to wait.
We choose the Buffet, because we thought, you can never go wrong with that, and to a certain degree it was good, but oh my.
At the Salad Bar, I was delighted to see that they had Spring Mix for Salad, except it was clearly browned and partially had dirt on it. When I spotted a worker behind the scenes I asked if they had more of that Lettuce to which she replied yes and told us to hold on. While waiting we observed here bringing out fresh soup in a clean heat well, but instead of inserting the clean heatwell she just poured the fresh soup on top of the old in the dirty and crusty heat well there. (We had looked into it before heading to the salad area to see what the soup was, so that's how I know the condition).
Anyways, she then came and brought out new lettuce, she took out the old and inserted the new one and instead of replacing the tongs with clean ones she just tossed the old ones right on top of the lettuce. Tongs that have been handled all night already by other customers. She did not place it next to it where it would have been semi clean, but no, right on top. Needless to say, I passed on this salad.
The Steak Loin was great, the Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Corn were really good and that made up somewhat. The waiters attention span was semi okay, after I asked for a refill, he checked a bit more often.
The Casino itself, is very tight on the machines, also, I must admit I did win some money back after a while. The advertise Pai Gow Poker, one of our favorites, but they don't have that any more. Not alot of Poker tables there. It is also very cold in the casino, so you may want to bring a Jacket. I know it is a 100 degrees outside, but it was freezing inside.
When we finally made our way back to the room, ready to go to sleep, we wished we would have checked the beds and pillows beforehand. The bed was hard as a rock and the so were the pillows. We tossed and turned until 3:30 in the morning, when we decided we had had enough.
We decided to just cancel our day plans in Sedona and proceed back home, we live about a 2 hours drive away. Luckily my husband sleeps well in the car, for me it was tough because I had been up almost 24 hours at that time, but we couldn't take it anymore.
When we checked out, and told the new receptionist there about the condition, she just shrugged her shoulders and gave me "sorry", that sounded very insincere. She barely even looked at me and made me feel like this was my fault.
We chose the Cliff Castle because of a friends recommendation. I am going to have to talk to my friend a bit now. Lol.
Overall, the worst stay ever, if you like rude service, hard beds and even more hard pillows then this is your place.
As for us. Never again. And oh yeah, this is by no means a Hotel, a Motel 6 would fare better than this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cornelia O
Investorshm, Guest Relations Manager at Cliff Castle Casino Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. The hotel staff and management take great pride in delivering the best overall hotel experience for each of our guest's. The majority of comments about our hotel are very positive and your experience was certainly the exception and not the rule. We look forward to exceeding all of your expectations on your next stay with us.
Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just recently returned from a business trip in Sedona. I had the opportunity to stay at the Cliff Castle Casino Hotel for 5 nights. My room was clean, bed was very comfortable, my room had a large flat screen television, and Free WIFI so I could complete my work projects in the comforts of my room. Loved the private balcony perfect for morning coffee!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Harlan007_13
Harlan,
Thank you for sending us your feedback regarding your 5 night stay with us. The hotel is continuously looking for ways to improve the overall experience for each of our guest's and the addition of Flat Screen TV's & Free WIFI have been very well received. We look forward to your next stay with us when your travels take you to the Camp Verde/Sedona area.
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

As a local resident of Sedona, I have lots of friends who ask me where to stay when they want to visit Sedona and the Verde Valley. The Cliff Castle Casino Hotel is extremely convenient right off of I-17 and is the perfect lodging location to visit, Sedona, the wineries, hiking and more.

The Casino has great dining options from the Buffet, Johnny Rocket's, Story Tellers and the Gathering. You can sight see all day and go back to the hotel at night for some nice dining and entertainment without the driving worry.

This is not a fancy hotel, but the rooms are clean, the location convenient and you have entertainment on site.

There isn't much nightlife in Sedona, so if you are planning a get away to Sedona and the Verde Valley and want an affordable and convenient place to stay, book your room at the Cliff Castle Casino Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer P
Jennifer,
We appreciate the comments regarding your recent stay with us. The hotel staff and management strive to deliver a great overall experience for each of our guest's and we are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel. The Hotel and Casino are a great compliment to Sedona where traveler's can experience the amazing landscape of Sedona during the day and a fun Casino Hotel experience at night. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camp Verde
#6 of 7 in Cottonwood
Fort Verde Suites
Fort Verde Suites
#1 of 5 in Camp Verde

Been to Cliff Castle Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!