“Different Specialties” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Phoenix, Arizona
“Different Specialties”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We try to stop at La Fonda whenever we are heading North from Phoenix. Homey and family run restaurant. My favorite thing is the Tomadas. This is the only place that I have found them. They are green chilies, stuffed with cheese, rolled in a corn tortilla, covered with sauce and hot bubbling cheese. My husband loves their beans

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Birmingham, Alabama
“Don't bother......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Previous posts state that this restaurant's food is authentic... It couldn't have been any farther from authentic than this gringa's kitchen! My husband's chili rellenos looked like a fried egg...We live on the border of Mexico and have had true Mexican food... this place just doesn't cut it! I would swear that the beans were canned as well as the sauce used for my enchiladas. I have to say it had to be some of the worst Mexican food I've ever had. The interior of the restaurant is also very old and run down. Employees sat at a table at the front of the restaurant eating while open for business. I've never seen anything like that! Don't waste your money. I would of rather have had McDonald's!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bumbug
Cottonwood, AZ
“Real Sonoran Mexican Food from Scratch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

La Fonda’s Mexican food is family owned and operated for generations. This is the real deal made from scratch. If you’re from back east just let them know that you’ll need some less spicy selections. For us born in AZ this is comfort food. It is Sonoran style so it is going to be different from TexMex or CalMex. We locals think it is better because it is a bit hotter and has less fillers. Like I said before, this is the real deal.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank AZFamilyman
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Run down less than average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Everything was made with cheddar cheese? Weird to say the least! My husband, myself and 2 boys went. The margarita was decent, although I think it came from a machine? Prices are pretty high. We all got something different a burro, enchilada, tacos, none of us finished our food. Nothing that the 4 of us had is worth having again. Don't waste your money at this run down hole in the wall!

3 Thank pooknnook
Sedona
“Just can't go wrong at this great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Busy, 'cuz it was a Friday night. We had a waitress we have had many times. Never gets it wrong -- in fact, they're all great.

I had the Carne Asada burrito -- this is only one of two places I've gone where I believe the meat is prepared in the traditional way. Wow! My wife raved about her food, and she finished with their unbelievable (but small) sopapilla (get two).

• Visited January 2014