“Worth your time to stop here!”

Montezuma Castle National Monument
Book In Advance
More Info
$129.00*
and up
Small-Group Tour: Sedona with Jerome and...
Ranked #3 of 24 things to do in Camp Verde
More attraction details
Owner description: This stone castle built into a shallow cave on a cliff was once a six-story dwelling with 45 rooms.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were driving from Sedona back to Phoenix and had extra time before our flight. Saw the signs and knew nothing about what we were going to see. What an interesting stop! Learned a lot and got some great pictures.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)
All reviews
"short visit"
in 23 reviews
"stretch your legs"
in 22 reviews
"the national park service"
in 19 reviews
"small museum"
in 40 reviews
"worth a stop"
in 42 reviews
"entrance fee"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been here quite a few times in my life. The walk, the creek and the ruins have not changed...very peaceful...as if the inhabitants are just away for awhile. Also worth seeing is Montezuma Well, a few miles away. It is amazing to think of this water in the middle of the high desert.

1  Thank MFRtherapist
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Took or grade school kids to see this hidden cliff dwelling establishment. After driving for so long - about 90 minutes from Phoenix, we were a bit worried the kids would be disappointed. Gladly, we were incorrect! They loved the idea of it and they especially loved learning how the native people lived and worked in their community - 100 feet up inside a cliff. I think they enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how they were able to thrive there for so long. The park has a junior ranger program they can complete while there, and they enjoyed having to find some things, answer some critical thinking questions, and ultimately being sworn in as Junior Rangers by a real park ranger. My son, the bird lover, especially loved the red-tailed hawk that was diving in an out of the cliff into its nest.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had been here 2-3 years ago with a native Arizonan. I had seen pics of this when I was a little girl in the Weekly Reader in Oklahoma and was THRILLED and AMAZED to see it in person. This time was no different!

I got there right when the site opened (the ranger literally opened the gate to traffic). He (sorry didn't get his name) was so helpful and welcoming and had lots of tips and parking info for parks in general!
I walked outside after viewing the small info area and was met by Sam, a wonderful volunteer. It was VERY cold out (thank goodness I brought my down jacket!) and he told me some stories about the place which were just intriguing and interesting! I love history and this place seems very magical and sacred and Sam made it quite vivid.

Sam volunteered to take my pic in front of the 'castle' which I posted on my facebook page.

I loved it and wanted to visit another site but headed out incorrectly on the interstate so will have to save that for another visit.

This is a magical and sacred place to visit in my opinion. There is a fee but if you are a senior (I believe over 62) get a senior pass to visit all these sites for a nominal one-time fee!!!