“Beautiful grounds, decent size clean rooms, on the Camino”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cabana

La Cabana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palas de Rei
NY
“Beautiful grounds, decent size clean rooms, on the Camino”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel overnight while walking the Camino de Santiago. The place seesm popular with groups walking the Camino, so it is festive outside. The grounds are beautifully manicured, great place to be outside and relax. It is one of the most pleasant hotels along the whole Camino de Santiago (French Way). The wi-fi works well in the rooms. It seems short-staffed, so service at their cafeteria style restaurant is a bit spotty. I witnessed one female staff attendant be very rude to an American lady who was just asking about food service. The attendant could not speak English and got a bit grumpy with the customer. I slept very well, never heard a noise or anything that bothered me. I was on a ground floor room. Breakfast was included, which was fresh (bread-croissant-coffee-juice), nicely presented, and good service. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. If walking the Camino it is a fantastic option to Albergues and the price was not bad. It is a bit of a walk from the town center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the cabin building towards the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Excellent accommodation just as you enter Palas de Rei. Lovely cabin-style rooms with fabulous grounds. Comfortable beds & good standard of cleanliness. Staff were very kind & helpful - would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Eat in the town where we got 3 course meal for 2 including 2 bottles of wine for €19 - difficult to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Eithne M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

The Camino passes the front door of this accommodation at the end of a long downhill descent into the town of Palas de Rei ,about 1km further on. My rating of this accommodation would be between very good and average as it has been recently refurbished and re-landscaped. These are timber cabin style buildings which gives them a dark appearance indoors but they are very clean and comfortable for a short stay. Our room was a twin and had a large bathroom, the shower was fine. Noise insulation between our room and the next was not great. The reception staff were friendly and helpful to us, and assisted us by directing us to the local STIHL dealer where we had bicycle repairs done. We did not eat an evening meal here, but the cafeteria seemed to be busy, we walked into town. The breakfast was a basic affair but could be so much nicer with the addition of some nicer bread or pastries, real orange juice and fruit yoghurt rather than just the natural variety.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twoforthehills
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stopped here while walking the Camino de Santiago. The wood buildings and grounds look very pleasant and promising from the outside. But what a disappointment once inside! There is no soundproof at all and you can hear all noises from all the rooms nearby: conversations, bathroom noises, footsteps, people talking in the corridors, doors banging etc. The room was tiny but this makes no problem because you are on the Camino and all you need is a good night sleep, which we did not have because of the constant noise. For this simple reason, I would not recommend this stop over.

They serve a delicious and somehow different pilgrim menu in the bar (apparently much better than the one served in their main restaurant). Might be worth stopping here for their pilgrim menu and find a better place to sleep.

There is a beautiful outside terrace with big comfortable armchairs where you can watch pilgrims heading to the next village (Palas de Rei, 15 minutes walk). It was pouring down the entire day and night of our visit, so we were very happy to sit and relax on this perfectly covered terrace.

Shame for the noise really …

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Palas de Rei hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

I was doing the camino de Santiago by bike. I am a senior citizen. I speak German, French Greek and Italian. No Spanish. After an exhausting day on top of a mountain there was a lang descent to the bottom which was to end near Palas de Rei. Somehow going too fast and missing a sign I ended up on a major freeway with speeding Spaniards. There was no bike lane andI just stopped after being hit by a car. The police came escorted me off the freeway and left giving me no help. I used my phone found a hotel and called in desperation. Raphael answered and spoke ENGLISH. He told me to call 112. I did and got a rude woman who after I told her I was lost and alone and hurt responded with the statement. You can't be lost you are not in a forest and hung up the phone. I called back to the hotel. To make a long story short Raphael said he would take care of everything. I was pushing my bike back up the hill. He came, picked me up in his own car took me to the hotel some 10 miles away. He did not charge me. So after 75 miles and 15 hours I collapsed and cried. They fed me took me to a wonderful room and restored my faith in humanity. This hotel is the whole package clean, great food, right on the camino and very, very friendly. Bless you ! You made my pilgrimage worthwhile.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jon P
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

The staff was not very friendly. The rooms were clean and modern. We had reservations for a double bed and got two single beds. No explanation, no apologies, no willingness to change or problem solve. We were very tired and took the room anyway. Customer service could improve here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I were pilgrims walking Camino Francés route of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. We discovered La Cabaña through the Posadas del Camino, their other recommended establishments were great and this place was ok too.

While walking the Camino, you will come upon La Cabaña about 15 minutes before the town of Palas de Rei itself (we found ourselves surprised to happen upon it sooner than we expected)! The lodge is actually a cluster of log cabins. The rooms are decorated in the light-pine wood, in a ski-chalet influence. The rooms are clean and spacious, the beds were comfortable. The weak-point of the accommodation was the bathroom, it was small and I remember some problem with the shower… I forget what exactly is was… but overall the bathroom was quite functional. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, only in the bar area.

A hidden plus for Camino Pilgrims is the guest’s washer and dryer! It is located behind the lodge, the usage fee was reasonable and I was thrilled not to have to do my laundry in the sink!

The young man who checked us in to our La Cabaña accommodation was very nice. He spoke very good English and he was the one who informed us of the different amenities of the lodge. He even called ahead to our next accommodation to confirm our next night’s lodging reservation.

The one down-side of La Cabaña is the evening meal. I did not like the servers; they were overworked and did not make any attempt to shield the clientele that we were the cause of their ‘misery’. I was not the only Pilgrim with that complaint the night we ate there. The dining hall was a cold, sterile cafeteria-like room. We had the Pilgrim’s Meal and while it was not fantastic, I do have to admit it was one of the better ones we had along the Camino. The breakfast meal and servers was a different story… the friendlier servers set a different tone and we had a bit of a choice in our breakfast foods (not common along the Camino!). I found out afterwards from the other patrons that the bar served better food for a very reasonable price… I wish I knew about that before I went to the Pilgrim’s Meal.

Overall I most definitely recommend La Cabaña to Pilgrims on the Camino!

Room Tip: Stop at the Palas de Rei open air market on the way out of town... it had a great selection of loca...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oca Balneario Rio Pambre
Casa da Igrexa
Casa da Igrexa
#2 of 3 in Arzua

Been to La Cabana? Share your experiences!