“Worst Experience, Bar None”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Santa Rosa, California
“Worst Experience, Bar None”
Reviewed December 23, 2006

As I write this little review, I am sitting in front of my laptop at 12:57 AM in the dreaded Room 119 of the Mainstay Suites in Frederick, Maryland. Dreaded, mostly, because the relative of one of the Mainstay employees was allowed to rent the room (or rooms) above us for a party.

Maybe I should join the party?

For the past three hours there has been constant noise, loud thumping and other odd noises. I complained to the friendly manager, who told me about the party rental, and he said that he would do what he could to quiet them down. He called right away, but the thumping and other erratic noises continued. I went back 10 minutes later to complain again and the manager called the party room once more. The manager said to me that it is "not fair to guests when the motel decides to rent out a room for a party." He's got that right! Too bad he wasn't the one making the decision.

It quieted down for about 15 minutes after the manager called, but now they are back at full throttle. I have given up on trying to quiet the noise. No sleep to be had here in Room 119, except for my daughter (special ear plugs) and my wife (a very potent prescription sleeping pill, but she too is now awake).

The room, by the way, leaves a lot to be desired. We asked for a switch to a different room earlier, but they did not have the type of room we wanted, so we opted to stay in this one. Big mistake, given the noise situation. In any case, the bathroom smells of mildew and the flooring is heavily stained. The chair at the desk is dirty from human fluids (I'm guessing) and the room is just is not up to par, especially for the price of $99 per night. I have never had such a bad stay in a motel or hotel before. It's like being in a bad dream. If anyone wants a lesson in how not to run a lodging facility send them here.

It is now 1:10, it sounds as though the party crowd above is dragging furniture around up there. I'm tempted to pay them a visit out of curiosity. No, I guess not, as George Herbert Walker Bush used to say, "wouldn't be prudent."

• Liked — Internet Access
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Don'y Stay Here
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank RonSonomaCounty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)