“Okay Hotel, but felt more like an outdated Holiday Inn”

Hampton Inn Frederick
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Dallas, TX
“Okay Hotel, but felt more like an outdated Holiday Inn”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We picked this location so my colleague could have a smoking room (one of the few nicer places in town that offer this). I have stayed a total of 13 nights in this hotel the last couple of months. The hotel just seems off from most Hampton Inns. The room was good, but they didn't stock all the extras in the room. The staff was nice. One thing I can say is that the breakfast was horrible. The bar that is attached was a quiet spot, and the bartenders were very good.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank shudonz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My wife and I travel frequently between our home in SW Virginia and her mother's in New Jersey. It's a nine-hour drive and it's getting even longer as we get older. For the past three trips, we decided to cut our drive home in half by staying overnight in Frederick, MD. Frederick is an ideal place, because it's just about halfway. We typically arrive in Frederick around 7 PM and hit the road again around 9 AM. This gives us time to some shopping in Northern Virginia for the things we can't get at home.

We've stayed in three area hotels, with the Hampton Inn Frederick being the latest (2/16/08). Here are my comments:

The Hampton Frederick is very conveniently located - just 2 minutes off I-270 and 5 minutes from US 15.

The hotel was in very good condition overall. We were greeted warmly and efficiently by the young woman at the desk.

Our room was large, nicely appointed, and included a fridge, microwave and single-cup coffee maker, as well as free wireless internet access. The TV was a conventional tube model, not a flat screen. They also have an outdoor pool (which was covered for the winter), and a fitness center, which we did use.

All in all, it was a good stay. The king bed was very comfortable. The window H/AC unit was rather noisy. There was also noise from the larger HVAC units behind the hotel.

The only real disappointment was the "complimentary" breakfast. The scrambled eggs (powdered, no doubt) were dry and tasteless. The sausage was barely cooked. The breakfast potatoes were rubbery. The "fresh" fruit was at least three days old. We had a toasted English muffin and a bowl of cereal. Oh well...it was free.

We paid $95, plus tax for the room, which is about average for a work night in the area. I used Expedia to research rates, then went to the hotel's own website to place the reservation.

In two previous trips, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Conference
Center and the Holiday Inn Express. Both rooms were priced at around $100.

The Holiday Inn Express was our favorite of the three, and we would have preferred to stay there again, but their best rate for that night was $140, which was out of our price range.

The Frederick area offers lots of lodging choices. It pays to shop around and get the most value for your money.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John F
virginia
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time went fine. The second time didn't. From now on I book a room on the front of the hotel.

If you choose this hotel, be aware that there is a very active bar with music and dancing. You do not want a room on that side of the hotel especially near the bottom floors--unless you are a very sound sleeper--lots of base thumping and some music can be heard. The side near the entrance facing the highway is the better side. If it is not a weekend you may be all right nearer the bar.

Had a bad night due to band noise until 2, young kids roaming the halls until 12, and a late-night trist in the room above ours from 2-3 What a night!

I will have to say that Hampton lived up to its 100% HAPPY GUARANTEE. I complained in a calm manner at checkout and we received a full refund for the night. What a surprise!

We were still tired with only about 2 hours of sleep but at least they acted in a professional way and did the right thing.

The room was good, breakfast was included, parking was free.

The more we stay in hotels the more we learn. ASK for a quiet room when you check in, call the front desk when there is a problem, move rooms if you have to. Don't be a victim. Move to another hotel if you have real problems that may go on several nights.

• Liked — close to Frederick MD downtown
  • Disliked — noise from the nightclub
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank yahootraveler64
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stopped in without a reservation and got a great rate on a gorgeous room. We were traveling with a baby and the staff were thoughtful and helpful. The room was well-appointed and the breakfast (apart from the french toast sticks) was more than adequate. Very clean and comfortable; we are planning to stay there on our next trip.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
PA
Reviewed August 28, 2008

The place was very clean and very easy to access. The room was very clean, nicely appointed with a comfy bed (that was a surprise) the only reason I am not giving this an excellent rating is that the room was had was sort of noisy with some type of mechanical (probably an air compressor or near the elevator) noise.

The breakfast buffet was adequate.

We didn't eat in restaurant or swim in the pool, but both looked to be very nice.

I would stay here again and do reccommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LI,NY
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Spent one night at this hotel on business. When I first checked in I went to my room on the 5th floor. I open the curtains to look out the window and the curtains and window were covered in small flies. I reported this to a young women at the front desk who said she would have someone take care of the problem . I then went out to dinner and returned 2 hours later. When I checked my room the flies were still there. I went back down to the front desk and had my room changed to the 3rd floor. This time my room faced a very noisy highway. The noise was terrible ! Back down to the front desk and a very annoyed young women moved me to another room on the 5th floor. No flies or noise. I went to sleep and checked out at 5:30am. I will never stay at this hotel again and can't recommend it. I've stayed at numerous Hampton Inns and this has to be the worst one.

• Liked — Check Out !
  • Disliked — The flies !
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank travelguy78
Gainesville, VA
Reviewed April 25, 2008

A large spacious lobby welcomes you to this Hampton Inn. Comfy couches in front of the TV invite you to sit a while. Front desk employees were all extremely helpful. If they didn't know an answer they researched to find it.

A good breakfast was served in a room with plenty of tables for the guests. Guest rooms were large, comfortable and attractively decorated. Cleanliness was evident throughout. We also observed everything from fitness equipment to the front door being cleaned during our stay.

• Liked — Everything was clean and in working order
  • Disliked — Location was right on the highway
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)