“Decent place, but expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Frederick Hotel & Conference Center

Holiday Inn Frederick Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Frederick
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Decent place, but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We got married at a park in Frederick, and although home is only 20 miles away, we decided to spend the wedding night here to get away from the mess at home. We got a discount rate ($119), and were upgraded to a large suite, but it was still a lot more than I typically pay for lodging.
The hotel is obviously a bit older, maybe from the '70s, but that only shows in the architecture. The furnishings were new and clean, although the TV in our room was surprisingly small. The room they gave us was huge, but it was very dark as it had one small window overlooking the pool area, and no ceiling fixtures. We had a couch, armchair, 2-3 end tables and a fridge and microwave to go with the standard bureau, etc. The bed was big and very comfortable. Once you turned on all the lamps, it was decently bright in the room. The bathroom was clean, and had nice toiletries.
Having a room overlooking the pool area meant lots of noise until about 11, but it wasn't unbearable. We did enjoy using the pool and hot tub. Even though the hotel was full up, the pool was not terribly crowded. In the morning, the lady at the desk was kind enough to redo our bill so that we'd get points on the Holiday Inn card my wife had forgotten she had. All in all, I was satisfied, but the bill reminded me why I generally stay at the old roadside motels (which have all fallen victim to sprawl in Frederick).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Jensen Beach, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We spent two nights at this hotel, and were disappointed in the room's furnishings. It was a nice-sized room, but had no refrigerator as was stated on their website, no dresser, which meant no surface space to place things, and no table and chairs. A room this size could certainly accomodate more furniture.

We chose this hotel specifically for the on-site restaurant, which was supposed to be open for lunch (including room service), according to their website and also the menu in our room. We left for the day, and our son, who stayed at the hotel with no car and no food in the room, expected to get room service for lunch. It turns out that they are not open and have no room service for lunch. Also, "Dominic's Pizzeria", which is the only pizza delivery allowed at the hotel, apparently doesn't exist. It is either an in-house service or an exclusive arrangement with some local pizza establishment. This arrangement is supposed to be "for our security", but we did not appreciate having our pizza choice dictated to us - also we wonder what would happen if we had chosen to order some other kind of delivery, Chinese for example.

The room and hotel were clean and the employees responsive to requests, but the misrepresentations on the website and on the information left in the room were definitely an inconvenience.
I expected more for the price we paid.

• Liked — It was clean and pet-friendly.
  • Disliked — Room sparsely furnished, food service not as advertised.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

My experience in booking this hotel through Priceline was similar to graymom's. My wife and I were looking for a decent place to stay overnight that was mid-way between our home in SW Virginia and her Mom's in Northern New Jersey. The 8+ hour drive is getting a little tiring and the overnight break would give us time for a leisurely drive and do some shopping along the way. Having lived for a few years in the Frederick, MD area (Shepherdstown, WV), I knew this would be a good location to spend the night.

I researched the various 2.5-3 star hotels on Expedia, Hotels.com and Travelocity, as well as the reviews on Travel Advisor, and decided that it was probably worth a bid on Priceline. There are many hotels/motels in the area, but only three with 3 star ratings. I figured I couldn't lose, so I bid $65. I got the Holiday Inn Conference Center (my second choice).

At $65 (plus tax) the price was less than 1/2 the best rate I could find online. I had excellent experiences with Priceline in the past (getting my first choice hotel 3 times out of 3 attempts) and saving significant money each time. (All three were excellent Marriotts or Courtyards by Marriott.)

I requested a king, non-smoking room (I'm very sensitive to smoke and use a CPAP machine for breathing at night).

We were driving south through Pennsylvania, less than 2 hours from Frederick when I asked my wife to call the hotel and confirm our reservation. The clerk said that were confirmed for a smoking king through Priceline. "No way, we need a non-smoking," my wife replied. To make a long story short, they were able to give us a non-smoking double, so it worked out okay. The hotel was not very busy with business conferences in late-July, so there were rooms available.

We arrived around 8:45PM and check-in went smoothly. The clerk seemed a little surprised at the low price we able to snag on Priceline.

Our room (#170) was located in the back of the building, facing the parking lot. I had read about noisy rooms near the pool area, but this location was nice and quiet and allowed for a good night's rest.

While the room was clean and nicely appointed, the bathroom had several problems, notably a loose towel rack and crud around the toilet base (a real turn-off) and tub caulking. I expected better at a three-star hotel. Water pressure was excellent, as were the supplied toiletries and towels. The beds were very comfortable. The mattresses must have been recently upgraded. Free wireless internet access was provided, though we did not use it. We also did not use the pool or fitness center, but both looked very nice and well maintained.

The hotel is located on the edge of the Francis Scott Key Mall, so there were plenty of nearby chain restaurants for dinner and breakfast. (Downtown Frederick, a charming historical town with some excellent restaurants is about 10-15 minutes away.) After breakfast at Bob Evan's, we were back on the Interstate in less than five minutes and on our way home.

Overall, this was an excellent value for the price paid and I would consider staying here again on future trips.

• Liked — Convenient location.
  • Disliked — Bathroom cleanliness.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John F
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

In December, 2007, my husband and I directly booked two rooms at this hotel for my daughter’s 13th birthday. She and a friend enjoyed the indoor pool, foosball, and mini-golf. My husband and I stayed in an adjoining room. We were treated well by the staff and we enjoyed our stay despite some issues with cleanliness -- don’t wear white socks on this hotel’s carpet!!

Just six months later, at my daughter’s 8th-grade graduation, I used the “name your own price” feature on priceline to purchase a room for visiting grandparents. What a shameful difference in customer service!

Several days before our most recent reservation, my husband called to see if we could arrange for a non-smoking room. Tamika (sp) at the front desk told him we had “reserved a smoking room” through priceline and, although my husband refuted her claim, she refused to find us a non-smoking room -- she even went so far as to say all non-smoking rooms had already been booked. My husband phoned priceline customer service, who called Tamika, and low-and-behold she found a non-smoking room.

Since graduation was at 4 PM, my husband went to the hotel early (around 1 PM) to see if any of the rooms had already been turned by housekeeping and could be available before the usual 3 PM check-in. One non-smoking room by the pool was available; we were grateful it was on the 1st floor as my parents are elderly and there is no elevator. My husband PAID for the room, got the keys, WENT INTO THE ROOM to make sure it would be acceptable for my parents, then he left the keys in an envelope along with my parents’ name at the front desk and requested the clerk give the keys to them upon arrival. However, when my parents arrived an hour later, the front desk clerk refused them entry to the room before the regular 3 PM check-in time -- they were forced to change in a small bathroom off the lobby!

By the time my parents got hold of us, around 2:30 PM, they’d already dressed for the graduation ceremony. My husband called the front desk and when my father went back to the desk, the clerk “shoved” (my father's description) the envelope at him without a word – no apology, nothing!

If we hadn’t stayed at the same hotel 6 months earlier, we might have chalked it up to overall bad customer service. But given the difference in our treatment, it seems clear we were being “punished” for getting a good hotel rate through priceline.

• Disliked — poor front desk clerk
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

We had a one-night stay in the Holiday Inn and arrived fairly late in the evening. The front desk person wasn't particularly welcoming or helpful. Our room was overlooking the Holidome pool area which would probably be great for families but wasn't quite what we were looking for, since it meant bright artificial light coming in under the curtains until 11pm and no natural light in the morning. Overall the room was clean and well set up, with a microwave and small fridge, but the carpet felt unpleasant as though it was slightly damp or greasy...like too much Febreze. The signal for the wireless internet access wasn't the best, but it was nice to have the service for free! When I wanted to get a bottle of water, I went around to 5 of the vending machines in the hotel and all were broken or sold out. It was a little thing, but it would have made a big difference.
All in all, the hotel was adequate but for any longer than one night we would look elsewhere

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Streetsboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Always call the hotel directly to make reservations when traveling with a dog since they all have different rules. We were given a first floor room right by an exit that led to grassy areas...a dog owner's dream. The accommodations were excellent. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was a bit pricey, but it's hard to find great places when traveling with a pet. It is a very large hotel, but we were off to ourselves so as not to bother other guests. Very good planning on their part.

• Liked — excellent room
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Clean, quiet, competitive rate. All i needed was a good night stay during a business travel and this hotel fulfilled it. Will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next visit to Frederick.

• Liked — clean, comfortable, renovated
  • Disliked — long walk to some rooms from the front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)