“What?! No elevator?!”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Bahrain
“What?! No elevator?!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

How is it that this isn't mentioned more in the reviews?? I think this foul nugget of information was a passing note in one review, and chalked up to being no big deal. Well, it was a big deal to me and a painful thing to discover at 10:00 p.m after I fought my way up 95 North through the one of the most heavily traveled traffic corridors on the East coast. Two suitcases, one well packed soccer bag, one 50 pound back pack of school work, two bags of food, jackets, and laptops, had to be carried up a flight of stairs by one tired mom and one cranky, whiny teenager. Add to it the no solace was to be found in a quiet room as we had a room overlooking a very noisy interior courtyard. I think sound was amplified to the nth degree by the high ceiling. This is just a weird hotel. Was it always a Holiday Inn? What's with the dark, dim "Holidome?" one has to pass through to get to the pool? What about the spiral staircases? Narrow, steep, metal. I tried them once. There are several hanging fluorescent lights in the interior courtyard, and then lots of old fashioned looking street lamps that, all combined, give the area and old fashioned eerie glow. It was a throwback experience. It's probably a great place if you have little kids, but we wanted a good night's sleep and we had to wait until 11:00 each night for things to quiet down. That's when the security guard must go around to send everyone to bed and secure the pool area. If you do get a room at this hotel be sure it doesn't over look the courtyard!

All that said, the staff was very friendly. We ate breakfast there both mornings and the ladies were lovely- very chipper and kind. Breakfast was around $10 each, does anyone mention that it's not complimentary? My bed was comfortable and I could regulate the room temperature to my comfort level. The room was clean enough, but the carpet had a stain on it. (Room 213, by the fridge) The refrigerator door didn't stay shut. We didn't use the microwave. Internet was slow. 3 bars out of 5. Nothing crippling, but my daughter, who has to use the internet to do her homework, had trouble getting one of her online programs to run.

We had to stay at this hotel per the orders of the Bethesda Soccer Club. We were up there so my daughter and her team could play in their tournament over Veteran's Day weekend. I would not return to this particular hotel if I had my own choice in the matter.

Room Tip: Pick a first floor room that doesn't open to the courtyard area or is near it in any way!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback. If you are back in the area and need to stay with us; we will be happy to assist you in finding a more comfortable room for your stay in Frederick. We appreciate that you stayed with us this time around and hope that you had a fun time at the tournament. Thanks so much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Weston, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Frederick is a nice place to stay after we visited Gettysburg Battlefield in PA. It is only 40 minutes away from Gettysburg. We got this hotel thru winning the bid from Priceline, so we paid a lot less than booking directly to the hotel. The beds are comfortable, has a flat-screen TV, and desk. However, the bathroom is very old and out-dated. I found a small bug when I unfolded the floor-mate towel. Overall it is a good value for what we paid for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Hanna P
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Gettysburg and we are glad that you were able to get a good deal to make the stay even better! :) If you are able to contact me to let me know which room you stayed in, I would greatly appreciate it. That will allow my team to inspect the room properly. I look forward to hearing from you and we look forward to having you back again with us! Thanks again!
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently returned from a short stay at this hotel and found it to be very clean and staff super friendly. There is no elevator but what's the big deal? It is only a very short flight up the steps to your room. Great food, wonderful service, nice pool area.....what more could you ask for. Bathrooms are a bit dated but again super clean and a very nice size. The beds are sumpy comfy as well. This is my hotel of choice when I am back in Frederick!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael C
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your great feedback! We are so pleased that you had a nice visit with us and we look forward to having you back. Our staff work very hard to make everyone's stay enjoyable with our guest interactions, cleanliness of rooms, and making everyone feel like it's their "home away from home." Again, thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel.
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was a little pricey for what you get. The room was "ok" but the bathroom needed a little updating. The lady at the front desk wasn't that pleasant to deal with. I am grateful that it was under 100.00, but you would think it would be a little more modern than what it was.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crispylivin
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and comments. We are glad that you stayed with us and were able to give us your concerns about the property so that we can look into any ways of improving. If you have any additional feedback or comments that you can describe to me, I would love to have you contact me by phone so that we can discuss them. Please feel free to call anytime!
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

While most of my experience was decent from this particular hotel, the one thing that makes me rate it poorly, is that I ended up having many, many bug bites after both nights of my stay. I wasn't sure if it was the hotel the first night, so I didn't say anything the next morning. But the next evening I ended up getting more bug bites. I had to leave extremely early the next morning so I didn't even get a chance to complain. I was in town for a wedding, so unfortunately it didn't make for a very enjoyable stay. Like I said, most of the stay was fine, but bugs aren't something you want to experience in a hotel bed. I just hope they aren't bed bugs and I brought them home with me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SecretAsianManWVU
John E, General Manager at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hi, and thank you for your response regarding your stay. I am sorry that you did not have a great experience at my property and I am committed to making things right. As with any stay where a guest has a problem, I would ask that you contact me, particularly in this instance, so that we can identify your room and conduct a thorough inspection of it to ensure that we do not have a problem. My staff and I are very proud of our level of service and the cleanliness of our rooms and we want you to know that we truly appreciate your feedback. I am happy that the rest of your stay was good.
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Its a nice discreet hotel, near FSK mall and its really quiet @ night. Theree s a karaoke bar -night club , fitness room (gotta have it after digesting all that food) and my favorite: the swimming pool. Its usually not crowded; if you wanna be in a in-house parade, not the place for you.
Im comming back on labor day week end..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your recent response about our Holiday Inn in Frederick! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of all that we have to offer including the pool, fitness center, and lounge. Hopefully even after Labor Day, you will be back to enjoy our facility again. Thanks so much!
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family and i were passing through when we had car trouble and this hotel went out of their way to help.Front desk clerk called around to help us find a dealership open to get help with our car -I did not catch her name but was really nice when my mom was almost in tears trying to figure out what to do. My sister loved the golf-it really is just for kids but they have pool tables and a large(clean) pool so we all had something to do. Great food from room service-everyone nice. It was an accident but we would come back on purpose next time we go to DC or Batimore. Great employees-clean rooms-good food. Enough Said!

Room Tip: Try not to get near the pool-can get a little loud but it is a great pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Laura M, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you so very much for your post about your recent stay with us. We are so glad that our staff was able to accommodate your family in your unscheduled time of need. It sounds like everyone from our front desk, to restaurant, to the housekeeping crew really made everything great and we are glad that it was able to make your stay even better. If you do travel to the DC/Baltimore area...we look forward to seeing you again - and hopefully the next time it will be with a perfectly running car! Thanks for staying with us and posting your feedback.