“Had to Check Out and Go Elsewhere”

Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Reviewed April 30, 2007

We booked two nights through Priceline and after going to the room we had to request another room because there was no hot water and the bedspread looked quite soiled. We were moved to another room which turned out to be even worse. We could not use the shower as there was no hot water available that night or the next morning. Hotel seems to be undergoing some major renovations. The outside walkways leading to the rooms looked in need of some updating and cleaning up as well as the rooms. We checked out the next morning and booked a room at the Sleep Inn which was much cleaner and newer and we did not have the same issues. I would not stay here and cannot understand the reviews posted since our experience was so different.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank teeniedeenie

Reviewed July 24, 2006

This hotel is right off route 15 so it was easy to get to. The room was great, clean, well stocked and has beautiful furniture. The front desk called shortly after check in to make sure everything was ok, then later that evening the manager called. There was no water in the soda machine and I mentioned this to him, shortly after, he was knocking on my door with two bottles of water.
I am Priority Club so I did receive a discount on dinner and breakfast the next morning. I had dinner at the hotel and was not impressed, the food was mediocre but the prices were out of this world. The Director of Sales had to serve because the server was late although he was very attentive, it did not make up for the rotten strwberries that garnished my dinner plate. For breakfast they forgot to turn on th burner to keep the food hot on the buffet , at $10.95 per person, the eggs and breakfast potatoes were ice cold. It took about half an hour for another serving to come out.
As I stated the hotel itself was great, the staff went out of their way, and I would deifintely stay here again. However, I will be looking for another place to eat.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Hampton_traveler
Reviewed October 29, 2005

I stayed in the hotel for two nights in October, so didn't get to use the pool (closed) but it met my needs very well. I chose it based on location and got it through the internet for a major bargain.

As another reviewer said, the exterior corridors are sub-par but the room itself was very comfortable and I was pleasantly surprised to have a small fridge/microwave in the room. Also, the furniture (with the big pine armoire/closet and the coffee unit inside) provided some nice ambiance.

The staff was excellent. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. I didn't use the restaurant because I had friends in the area and we ate elsewhere. We'd been to Frederick in 2004 so I was very pleased to be located in this central area near Highways 70 and 15. Convenient to everything.

Also, Holiday Inn seems to be focusing on customer service these days so they have a program where you can choose your own type of pillow. But, the pillows and bed provided were so good, it was fine with me.

I only had two problems and it's interesting to see other reviewers comments, regarding group gatherings. Weddings and reunions? I stayed there on Saturday and Sunday night and on Saturday around midnight, the room next door was taken over by extremely loud, raucous people and it woke me up and they didn't stop for an hour or so. This was the room with a lock-out door into my room. So, it's possible this hotel specializes in "events" and maybe the sound-proofing isn't so good? Something to pay attention to on week-ends, in case you want to sleep.

The other "problem" was that the tub was very slippery and there was no bathmat. I almost fell. Not a comfortable shower. Other than that, I enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank platinumWM
A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2005

I selected this hotel for the convenience, discription of the rooms, (recently remodeled), amenities (high speed internet-outdoor pool), comparble price, (and even better price when dealing with Orbitz cutting $30.00 off each nigh stay).

I was extremely disapointed. I booked a group of rooms for a family wedding. Lets just start at check in. It took me over thirty minutes to check in. I requested that our rooms be close if possible, I was traveling with my mother who is eighty years old, and if possible could they select a room close to the elevator and could I have at lease one other family member in a room near by. Another delay of 15 minutes....

The rooms for recently remodeled were disapointing also. My tub was so worn that I found it necessary to wear my sandles to shower, there was also mold in the corners.

The bedspread looked nice enough on the outside, but a look at the underside provided a second disapointment.

We never did connect to the high speed internet... Call the help line and the front desk....

The pool was cloudy looking, so forget a swim. and the pool hours were 11:00 am to 9:00 pm. I can respect the need for a life guard and closing the pool for the convenience of house guests but an early morning swim would be nice, that is if the pool was not cloudy.

I had additional concerns with the billing. As I said I booked on line with Orbitz. This was a group booking and I believed everything was charged to my account and I would not have to worry about payment when we arrived. WRONG!!!!! Another dispute and attempts by me to assure that we had this corrected prior to check out did not help. I was still trying to get this corrected fifteen minutes before I checked out. and Check out was again over thirty minutes.

I have other concerns and will address them to the hotel chain guest relations directly but my advise to other travelers would be to look at staying at the Comfort Inn directly accross the street.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

We traveled to Frederick this June for my college reunion. The Holiday Inn was among those listed in information provided by the college. After thorough checking of facilities and prices, the Holiday Inn at Fort Detrick looked like the best bet for us. It was close to the college and made it easy for us to go back and forth between events.

Though it appeared to be a popular weekend for visitors, the rate was reasonable. The rooms were nice, clean and a bit larger than some other facilities. Initially, I was concerned when we found the hotel to be booked either near or at capacity, remembering some noisy evenings at other less heavily-booked facilities in the past. HOWEVER, it was very quiet both evenings-- in fact, amazingly so. Everything was well-taken care of so we had no need for extra assistance. It was a very smooth stay and a wonderful trip.

We did not eat at the hotel, partially due to participating in events at the reunion and also previous reviewers' comments so I can't provide any information on that aspect. I was also aware that there are a good number and variety of restaurants nearby.

2  Thank ICFG
Reviewed October 18, 2004

I stayed at the Holiday Inn-Ft. Dietrich located in Frederick, Maryland, on Oct. 8 & 9. All in all, not a bad hotel despite exterior corridors and a shop-worn lobby. The room was clean, though the bed was one of those cheap foam hotel mattresses. But the bathroom was decent, the shower worked and it was convenient to delightful Downtown Frederick. Check the Entertainment Book for the discount code when booking. At $79 a night it was worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2004
3  Thank Rochesterian_Guy
Reviewed September 24, 2004

The breakfast is mediocre, over priced and service is very very slow. Otherwise good value hotel. Large well maintained rooms with refrigerator and microwave. Helfpul front desk staff. Good location. Would return, but would go to Denny's for breakfast or bring my own.

• Stayed: September 2003