“You get what you pay for”

Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I dropped the kids off at the grandparents in order to have some one on one time together just for one night. My husband had booked another hotel, but I asked him to change it since it would be sentimental to spend a night in the same motel we gathered with friends and family a few years earlier before we got married. Now was that a bad idea!

To start off. The place looks a bit shady, but hey, it's a motel. We were running to catch a movie so we checked in, hubby ran in to check the room to make sure everything was in order and to turn down the ac cause he knows his wife. We decided against leaving our things in the room at that time and to just bring it in later. So off we went to our dinner and movie. When we got back to our room I immediately noticed some things were off. The AC was at full blast and there was a soap wrapper on the floor by the bed. I walked over to the bathroom to see that the floor is wet, there is trash in the bin and the shower was wet. There was also a towel laying on the floor! Someone must have been in that room. I called the front desk to state the issue and they kept asking all these questions like, are you sure you locked the door? Did you let anyone else in your room? Just questions that I thought were ridiculous because why would I lie about something like this? Eventually we go through to a manager who eventually came up, saw what we saw and gave us a different room. My suspicion is that since it was an adjoining room, someone may have gotten through that adjoining door or they double-booked our room. Either way, imagine if we had left our belongings in the room?

For the one night the bed was comfortable and the shower was ok, not great, but ok. Got the heck out of there crack of dawn the next morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kramn
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick

Reviewed November 27, 2013

What can I say? I looked for cheap and got it.
The negatives:
The outside of this motel is very dingy.
Although I was put in a "nonsmoking" room it reeked of smoke, most likely from my neighbor
The walls are VERY thin
There was hair on my bathroom floor and it wasn't mine

Positives:
Front desk staff extremely friendly both on phone and in person
Appreciated that the floors weren't carpeted as I was staying with my dog and this made me feel better in regards to the cleanliness of the room
There is a large grassy area to let the dog do his business

Room Tip: Ask to smell the room first.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Ricardo C, Manager at Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 Frederick. I am sorry that our rooms and housekeeping service did not wow you; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I am happy to hear that you enjoy the friendliness of our staff members, this means a lot to me as I believe it is our most important job. Was there and issue with cleanliness of the room besides the smell of smoke or anything about the room that we could do better? We would love to know what we could have done differently so that our staff would have received the highest scores in your eyes?

I am sorry to see by your scores that we are even below standard, as I think that is what a 2 rating means to me. We just had a 400 question inspection on quality, this inspections are unannounced and are all looked at how our guest sees our property and I am happy to say we scored a 87.3. This is the high standards our housekeeping staff displayed day in and out, I am sorry to see by your scores that you did not experience this. I am also sorry to see that you were unable to enjoy all the hard work we have put into our newly renovated rooms. It is hard on us when obviously one of other guest broke our rules of not smoking in one of our non smoking rooms but you are right housekeeping should have caught it. This one of the reasons we have taken away the carpet, replaced by the hardwood like floor, we have taken off the wall paper and added a fresh color pallet to our rooms, we think it helps with smell but we have also added new flat screen tvs, new beds, new furniture to 70% of our rooms, new bedding, new curtains, new lighting and upgrades to our bathrooms such as a towel caddy, lighting, towel bars, mirrors etc. We are here to provide a clean comfortable room where everything is in working order for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us and would love to get additional comments from you, you may send them to m62016bo@motel6.com. All of this while continuing to be the lowest priced guaranteed out of any national chain.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. When you are ready to make a reservation please feel free to call me directly, I would be happy to make your reservation and inspect the room personally so that on your next visit so we can prove that we have rooms that met or exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

They have done some upgrades. New paint, curtains, bedding. They changed the floors to wood like linoleum. It's ok but a little cold in the morning. Still has the same old furniture though. Some of the furniture was missing from the room. No chair or table. Looked bare. Our bed was to be a king but it was a queen.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy K
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The rooms were ok for the money, but i think they need alot more UPGRADING. Beds were ok there were gaps under the door where bugs could come in. The room smelled like musty, I looked in the air vents and I saw MOLD that made me sick to my stomach. I was going to stay a week but after that i had to leave. I went to stay with my friends. After staying there i did get sick and found out that the mold smell that i was breathing in caused it. Will never stay here again

Room Tip: I can say that most of these photo on here are not true the dinner meal. where at sure as can be not...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Frederick - Fort Detrick, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Tine L,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I travel all the time and have to say this is the best price for the value. Clean and great service.
Other hotels in the area could learn from this hotel. I will definitely stay here again next time I am in the area. I will recommend this hotel to everyone who is in the Frederick MD area. Thank goodness good service still exists in the hotel industry.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My group traveled to Washington for the 50th anniversary for Martin Luther king and when we was told that we was going to stay at a motel 6 I was like noooo...WE travel alot so I am familiar with different hotels when we arrived i was so tired the front desk lady was very nice and quick with taking care of us. I went to my room opened the door with my eyes closed then I realized it was very clean,new looking with hardwood floors and the bed was comfy not bad at all for a motel 6.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LARRISSA M
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were traveling home from our family vacation and decided to stop here, while we found the hotel to be clean and updated we were disappointed to find the lacking in ammenities. There is no room info, phone info, clock, shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, luggage rack, or wall hanggings {there was almost an echo}. The list could go on but we don't see any need in iron boards and irons or even coffee if it is available in the lounge. There was also plenty of space in the newly renovated rooms to have a table and chairs. Very unconfortable only being able to sit on the beds.

Why is there a reading lamp in the corner with no chair?
(YOU paid the designer TOO much)

Why is the refrigerater and microwave so small if you have to pay extra for it?
We put some lunch meat and cheese in the refrig for lunch on the road for the travel home but unfortantly it was frozen by morning.

Why are there ashtrays in the non-smoking rooms if smoking isn't allow, please give me shampoo and conditioner instead.

They need to partner up with local restaurants for an info book in the room to promote locale eating facitiles that may also recommend them

Overall, it's cool that they have a theater and many facilities around them; you won't know it without investigation on your own

If you say here, ask management to provide you with local area info.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family