“Man ... was it DAMP!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
torrance
“Man ... was it DAMP!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I'm pretty easy to please .... but other than a good 5 day (advance, no refund) rate, I don't have much positive to say about this place.
Our room on the first floor was EXTREMELY damp ... you could feel it as soon as you walked into the room and, if barefoot, on the rug. There was a huge patch of mildew on the wall which wiped off easily with a tissue ... I couldn't believe housekeeping had ignored it for so long. And there was mildew in and around the tub. When we returned after a day out, all the clothes we had hanging up and the bedding felt damp.
The room with 2 double beds is tight with 3 people and the bathroom is beyond small. You actually have to maneuver to get the bathroom door open when you stand up from the toilet.
The first floor hall always had a musty and smoky smell ... almost as if someone had been smoking in the corridor.
The Frederick area wasn't particularly humid during our stay so you can't blame the dampness on the weather. Oh, and don't be confused by the title ... the place is about 2 miles from the Historic Downtown area (but I knew that).
For the nightly rate I wasn't expecting a 5 Star Resort ... but I did expect better from the Best Western chain.

UPDATE: After 2 days in "the swamp" I went to the desk manager and requested another room telling him we had done everything we could think of to dry out the room (#130) but nothing worked. He sort of implied that the north facing rooms had problems due to the lack of sun. He immediately moved me to a south facing room (#109). It was like being in a different hotel. The north facing room immediately felt (and looked) dryer as soon as you walked in. It wasn't until I saw how bright it was that I realized how dark our previous room had been. In addition, the corridor, now closer to the lobby, didn't have the musty smell.
Management was very responsive to my request for a new room (minutes), and in addition, lower the room rate by $10/night for all 5 days of my stay. That said, a room in the condition of #130 shouldn't be booked out at any rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
bwfrederick, Manager at Best Western Historic Frederick, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank You for your feedback and apologize for your inconvenience during your stay here. After looking into this issue i did notice high level of moisture in the surrounding area and rooms. I did call a professional company to help assess the situation and provide recommendations. They recommended I get some dehumidifiers for the moisture and get better air circulation in that area. I assure you we are working on the issue and hope to find a permanent solution for the future. Once again thank for your feedback and hope you give us another oppertunity to earn your business back.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was going to be spending two nights in Frederick and after a fair amount of research chose the BW Historic Frederick. I made my reservation directly with the hotel and told them what I needed. A friend and I were going to be sharing a room, so I wanted either 2 Double or Queen beds, or a King and a couch. They told me they had no Double rooms available and suggested a King Suite for $170, AAA rate. I arrived at 4 PM and was quickly checked into my room on the second floor. The first problem I noticed was that the door to the room would not close completely unless I slammed it shut. Ninety-nine percent of all the hotel rooms I've ever stayed in have doors that shut automatically. Not here. The room was on the back side of the hotel and it was DARK! Due to the amount of trees there was little to no natural light coming in the room. I turned on every light in the room which offered very little light. The set up of the room was awful. The "bathroom" was a room no larger than the tub and toilet that it contained. I could not imagine showering and having to get dressed on the one 12"x12" tile that made up the free floor space of the bathroom. The sink was in the room, next to the desk. Very strange, IMO. The one television in the room was at the foot of the bed. I would imagine two people would sit on the couch to watch tv, but the way the room was set up would make that a very awkward situation. There were just 3 standard size pillows on the King bed. They were displayed up on the side edge of the bed, so they didn't even cover the whole bed. Again, very strange!

If this is BW's version of a King SUITE, I think they need to see what a normal Suite actually entails. I called the front desk and asked if there was a room available on the front side of the hotel. Nope. So I went down and told them I was going to be leaving. The room was a joke! The gal asked if there was anything they could do, and I said short of redesigning the room, there was not. I was allowed to leave without charge - thank goodness!

I found much better lodging across town, for less than what I paid for the BW King "Suite".

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We only really encountered one staff member, Joy at the receptionist desk. She was very friendly and remembered that we were in town for the half marathon. We were on the second floor in a nice room. I traveled with my spouse and son. The linen on the beds were clean, as were the desk and table surfaces. The only really minor thing was that the bathroom was a little cramped. There was certainly enough space in the room to expand the bathroom a little and move the beds closer together. But again, not really a big issue.

The morning of the race we went down to the foyer to make sure there was nothing else needed before check out. We found several brown bags of breakfast goodies for the runners. That was really awesome. We've never been to a hotel that did that for us. I think there were about a dozen other runners staying there.

Even though we didn't stay long, we enjoyed it. The hotel was off a main road, but not so far to be inconvenienced. There was a strip mall next door and across the street with shopping and food. If we do this race again next year, we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Monica K
bwfrederick, Manager at Best Western Historic Frederick, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. Joy is a wonderful employee and I will let her know about your comments. Thank you again

Raj Patel
GM
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Although the room was pretty ordinary, the service and breakfast were outstanding. The desk clerk,Joy, took special care with us and answered a multitude of the typical tourist questions. The hotel also set up a early breakfast for the runners in town for the running festival. Breakfast also stayed open late for the runners coming back from the race. Just wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012
bwfrederick, Manager at Best Western Historic Frederick, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank so much for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here. I will certainly let Joy know about your feedback.

Raj
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Ants! We stayed for five nights & I was constantly killing ants. They need to spray for bugs. Also, there are double beds & queen size headboards. (someone is skimping Patel) By the way, in 1880 Werner Von Siemens of Germany invented the electric elevator. There was not a single elevator in this place! What is this? 1879?!!

• Stayed April 2012
bwfrederick, General Manager at Best Western Historic Frederick, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Guest

I'm truly sorry about your stay here at the hotel. We do have a monthly contract with a local pest control company to handle any issues similar to yours. I've reached out to them this morning to have them provide additional service regarding this issue. I assure you that this is a isolated situation and I do take this matter seriously. In regards to the elevator, I have brought this issue to our corporate office in the past. It is something that is being discussed and hopefully will be addressed in the future. If you ever plan to be in the area again please call me and I will personally handle your reservation.

Raj Patel
301-695-6200
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My Wife and I visited Frederick to eat at Volt and all we needed was a room that was in-expensive, had a good rating, and was close to downtown...this place had it all! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cumming, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel has become my "home away from home" while visiting my office in the DC area. I am one of those guys who refuses to live in the DC area, even though I'm a federal contractor; after staying in several properties in the DC area, I locked on to this hotel after eight years of trying several others.

Get the upgraded room if possible with the king sized bed and couch. Great value, and you'll have a great stay.

I have always found the staff to be highly accommodating and attentive to my needs. The General Manager himself works the front desk from time to time, and is very much a hands-on manager-- just what you need. The desk staff is always well trained, the rooms are always sparkling clean.

There is a supermarket next door, restaurants close by, and of course, excellent location right off of two major interstate highways. I am delighted to give this hotel five stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite; it's worth the extra money!