“nice B&B in frederick, close to downtown!”
Review of Hollerstown Hill

Hollerstown Hill
Ranked #2 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2013

A few things: Hubby and I are low maintenance, we have stayed in B&Bs in Ireland so we know what to expect.

This house is OLD. If you are looking for a modern place to stay - go stay at a hotel!

It is decorated head to toe with floral wallpaper and tons and tons of dolls - while not my taste, it went with the ambiance of the old house/bed and breakfast theme. I would never be able to live there because it was too busy and cluttered for my taste, but it went with classic bed and breakfast theme :)

Hubby and I got married in Frederick 5 years ago and so for our milestone decided to take a trip to VOLT and stay overnight. We arrived around 6pm, checked in and then rushed off to our dinner reservation.

Breakfast was good, but fair warning, it's carby and sweet. So if you have dietary needs make it known to them. Today's breakfast consisted of coffee cake, veggie frittata and mandarin orange yogurt/pudding/whipped cream thing. Coffee cake was good, but not even close to the Jewish sour cream coffee cake my mother makes. Hubby and I loved the frittata! And the mandarin orange parfait was light and refreshing

My one complaint is the pillows. You just sink to the bed in them. pretty much par for course if you were at a hotel!

Another note, the owner is super chatty but super nice. Combine that with my husbands lack of ability to end a conversation...we had a hard time getting out of there this morning.

Parking is fine. Other people who complained about parking are probably lazy and fat. There is parking in the back driveway and there is parking on the Main Street. Sure, we didn't get a spot right In front of B&B, but we parked a few houses down. No big deal
We would recommend this for anybody lookin to get away for their anniversary and come up to Frederick to eat and explore

1  Thank Sarawithanh
There are newer reviews for Hollerstown Hill

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a wonderful time. The owners are pleasant and made us feel as if we were guests in their house rather than customers. We loved the breakfast--which was both savory and sweet. I loved the claw foot bathtub in my private bathroom, and my husband got a kick out of the billiard room. Other pluses: homemade snacks, the rocking chairs on the front porch, the beautiful house, and that we were less than 1/2 a mile from great shopping and restaurants. I'd definitely recommend to family and friends and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Reading such glowing reviews, we booked their most expensive room ($175 total) for our wedding anniversary. Sorry to say we spent a nearly sleepless night in the worst bed (a king size shallow board mattress with an undersized hard platform beneath it), in a hot room with an unbelievably loud, ugly "portable heat pump" putting out very little cool air. The small, older TV provided had a volume control that was no match for the heat pump noise. The bathroom was large, large enough for a very large display of dolls. In fact dolls had to be removed before you could set your things down on the vanity or on the chest at the bottom of the bed. The vanity had an old upholstered seat with very worn, dirty upholstery, ugh! We were so miserable we left without breakfast. No parking was provided leaving us to park on the street several blocks away. The most expensive hotel room in town we found online was $179. Even the cheapest hotel we have ever stayed in had a better mattress, climate control, TV and probably kleenex and a hair dryer too. Comfort essentials must come before decorations! Will attempt to post pictures of the real room, not the idealized web page.

4  Thank sardinesinacan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hollerstown Hill is the first B&B at which I have ever had the pleasure of staying. I am hooked! The home is in a quiet neighborhood directly across from a school for the deaf. Betty and Phil were incredibly welcoming and their home is decorated beautifully. My room was spacious, adorned nicely with antiques, pillows, nic nacs and such. I walked a few minutes down to the Italian restaurant they recommended for a late supper which was scrumptious. My sleep was restful and I awoke refreshed. I went for a run around the area and ended up on a multipurpose path that was perfect. For breakfast, Betty made chocolate waffles, bacon and a fresh fruit smoothie made to order. It was all delicious! I enjoyed chatting with the other patrons and they shared some helpful travel tips. I will definitely return to this B& B the next time I am on my way to viist my daughter in N. C. and I highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: I heard there is a room at the back with a balcony, but my room was also great!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mary G
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Charming b & b run by a delightful couple. The owners provide a most comfortable experience. The location is perfect for exploring downtown Frederick on foot. Breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. We spent four nights there and would love to make a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Brenda G
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this B&B located in downtown Frederick so we could go to Volt (which was excellent; see my review). The B&B has an excellent location (a 15 minute walk to Volt; 10 minute walk to the restaurants on the river walk). We had a very nice room with a private balcony/porch on the second floor. All of the rooms have a private bath and air conditioning. The bed was very comfortable. The B&B was very clean and is run by a lovely couple. My wife and I enjoyed our conversation with the owners over breakfast. Breakfast consisted of a delicious egg casserole, fruit smoothie and home made pastry. Our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this B&B if you plan to stay in downtown Frederick (which has become a very hip town).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ravens32
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hospitality could not have been nicer. We stayed in the Cannon Room and found it to be a relaxing and comfortable room while giving one a taste of the past. The hosts are most helpful and did whatever necessary to make us feel welcome and at home. Short walk to the center of the town. Breakfasts were generous and tasty. Wine, snacks, water and coffee always at the ready. I plan to return often and highly recommend Hollerstown Hill.

Room Tip: I think next time I would pay the extra $10 for the Garden Room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple