New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Frederick-Fort Detrick

Hampton Inn & Suites Frederick-Fort Detrick
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Frederick
Rostraver, Pennsylvania
“Great place - we will return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Just spent Easter weekend at this hotel, as it is close to our daughter's in Frederick. We got a nice AARP rate,which included one of the best breakfast buffets that I've seen & it was FREE. Well,included anyway. Even though it was Easter Sunday, the two ladies in the buffet were cheerful & pleasant. Food was plentiful. There is a microwave & fridge in every room. One little glitch which I will mention to the hotel if we get a survey - when we took our fruit, water, etc from the little fridge to go home, it was frozen solid. Did not realize until we were on our way home. The room itself was very nice, quiet, at least on the 5th floor. We'll definately stay there again.
One cute thing - on Easter Sunday, we noted that someone had left plastic candy-filled eggs hidden (in plain view) for kiddies to find in the breakfast area.

Room Tip: Check your food if you leave it in the fridge - temp may need turned down.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn for 1 night on March 31. I was part of a group activity at nearby Frederick Community College and got a discounted group rate. I booked a king room. Safety is always a factor as a female traveling alone (on this trip), so I was pleased to find the property to be well-lit and despite the late hour I checked in, I was able to find a parking spot right outside the hotel lobby. The hotel is across the street from a Roy Rogers and a 7Eleven, and it has a shuttle which I didn’t use.

Check-in was accomplished quickly. The pleasant and welcoming staffer who checked me in took the time to inquire about my event and how it had gone. Since the hotel was sold out and I was the fourth-to-last person to check-in, the hotel could not accommodate my request for a room near the elevator, but I realized that I was only a couple doors down from the elevator anyway. Anything closer would have meant I’d hear the elevator dings all night.

The hotel common areas seemed spotless and bright with no odors. The elevator was quick and clean. On the 4th floor (my floor) there was an ice machine and a soda machine. Of course, you could also get snacks at the pantry downstairs. Free hot beverages (tea and coffee) in the lobby 24 hours was a nice touch.

My 4th floor room had a king bed, sleep sofa, desk, chair, TV, mini fridge, microwave, bench, ironing board, iron, a safe (not found in many hotels these days) and a luggage rack. My bathroom had an ample supply of towels. My bathroom had a shower, no tub, but I expected that. I used the wireless on my Kindle Fire and it was quick to connect and service was consistent all the way to the time I checked out.

There appeared to be lots of school teams staying at the property, but except for seeing a few in the elevator, I didn’t hear a peep on my floor. I liked that I couldn’t hear my upstairs neighbor walking around, using the bathroom or shower – a problem I’ve experienced in recent hotel stays.

I slept in, so I didn’t get an opportunity to check out the complimentary breakfast. Instead, I heated up some pastries in the microwave in my room and got hot tea from the lobby. The breakfast area (the night before) looked very clean and of a fair size.

In terms of cons I would mention two issues, firstly that the AC/heat unit was loud. I mean really loud! If you’re a light sleeper (I’m not), that might be an issue. Secondly, my room faced the sun and I found that by 10 am the next morning, the A/C could not seem to cool my room down. I jokingly said to my husband that with check-out time looming, I think the hotel was trying to sweat me out! I’m not sure if it was the sun rays, a faulty unit (worked fine the night before) or a combination of factors, but by 12 noon check-out I was sweating. I am directionally-challenged, so I’ll just say that a room on the uneven side of the hallway might be cooler, since it doesn’t directly face the sun. I had a room on the even side of the hallway.

For the price paid (especially with the free breakfast), this Hampton Inn offers good value. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the uneven side of the hallway to avoid direct sunlight heating up your room in th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank trinigirlmd
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stay at this Hotel on a regular basis, and I'm very fussy. I can rest easy knowing that after a hard days work, the bed is luxurious and comfortable. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the sheets are always fresh and crisp. Nothing to gross you out here....just like being at home.

The breaksfast is always good and if you are in a hurry to get out the door the front dest always has a sack you can grab with water, breakfast protein bar, fruit etc.

A good sized pool and hot tub are always kept in good and clean to soak your tired muscles. Not sure why but I've been staying here for the past 5 years and only ever had 1 other person in the pool area while I was there. Never crowded or noisy kids.

It is the most expensive hotel in Frederick, but you certainly get what you pay for!

Room Tip: The Suites are nice and roomy... if I had to have a batchelor pad I would want it just like these su...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bushman15
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I've just returned home after two nights at this hotel. Our first night went very well, in spite of loud water pipe noises that awakened all three of us (myself, my husband and our daughter) early in the morning. The breakfast was great yesterday (Saturday). Last night and this morning were terribly disappointing. The water pipe noises woke my daughter up several times (she recited the actual times to me) and I woke up a couple of times as well. When we went to breakfast at 9:30 (breakfast is from 6:00 - 10:00 a.m.) we were surprised to see that the hot food was almost completely gone, except for a few potato cubes and some scrambled eggs. A closer examination revealed that the fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and even hot water for tea were all gone by 9:40 a.m. The breakfast area experienced floods of hotel guests, who were of course disappointed to see this lack of food. (Yes, there was still waffles, white bread, banana nut muffins, cold cereal and juice - I did not look at the oatmeal supply - and a bagel or two - but someone with a gluten intolerance would have been totally out of luck.) The breakfast room lady ambled in at 9:45 and announced that the food was "all gone" - I was left wondering what would happen to tomorrow's guests!

The hotel was very full, but that is no excuse. We guests all paid for our breakfasts in our room rate, yet many guests did not get to enjoy the breakfast they had been promised. Management should have planned for many hungry guests on a Sunday morning. Running out of hot water for tea was clearly annoying to at least one guest - even if there really was no food left in the hotel, there was surely running water, as we'd all noticed running water in our bathrooms this morning.

We stay at Hampton Inns on a regular basis because we know we will have clean, comfortable rooms, free wifi and a nice breakfast. Not today. Late-rising guests should have the same breakfast experience as the early birds; it's not as though Frederick is a remote location with limited access to restaurant supplies. We've stayed at Hampton Inns in Frederick twice now and I have to say that I will be looking at other hotel chains for next year's stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor near the elevator have loud water pipes nearby.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sagouine
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed with my husband for four nights while visiting relatives that live nearby. The hotel is fairly new, well kept and clean. The room had a mini refrigerator and microwave, and was very roomy. They offer a full buffet breakfast with a great variety of hot and cold foods. The young woman that tends to the breakfast bar is very friendly and ensures everything is well stocked. This is the second time we stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night so that we wouldn't need to drive back to DC after dinner at Volt. The last time we stayed at one of the b&bs in town and it just wasn't worth it. This was a good experience. Friendly staff, nice room, impressive breakfast (individual omelets, fresh fruit, etc.). We paid $87 for the night and it was worth the money.

Tip for those looking for a hotel near Volt, this was about 2 miles away. Roundtrip cabfare was $20 with tip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites for 2 weeks as I was working at Fort Detrick.

Pros

1. Free fruit, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc all day everyday
2. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate and the breakfast bags were really handy
3. The pool and gym were an added bonus and it felt like I was the only one using them
4. The bed was AMAZING really comfortable
5. Friendly helpful staff, I don't drive and wanted to walk everywhere and they gave great directions
6. If you get there in time the free cookies are AMAZING

Cons

1. If you don't drive and don't like walking you're in trouble as the town is a long walk away (but not impossible I did it regularly)
2. There isn't anything to do near the hotel so you are restricted to staying there if you don't drive and don't want to pay for a cab. However a cab is ~$7 to town.
3. I'm not sure my room was hoovered in the 2 weeks I was there