“Less than I had hoped for”
Review of Hard Times Cafe - Frederick - CLOSED

Hard Times Cafe - Frederick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We are famous for our chilis: Texas, Terlingua, Cincinnati, and Vegetarian. Voted best wings in DC. Great for families - kids eat free on Sunday!Sports bar offers all the games all the time. Billiard tables and darts. Free pool everyday from 11am to 5pm with minimum purchase.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

While on a business trip travelling through Frederick MD, I was looking for a non-chain and intriguing restaurant to have dinner with my travelling companions. This looked like it would be the place. The decor was nice, the servers hospitable, but the chili was not as good as I had hoped for. Maybe it's me, but the others also agreed. The chili did not have enough 'moisture' for our tastes. It needed some of the add on's like the sour cream to give it some moisture. Maybe I should have had the beans added. They were gracious to provide us with a sampler ahead of time to taste the different chili's which is much appreciated. The taste of the chili's was good. If I were to end up here again though, I probably would be ordering something different from the menu.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We go to Hard Times with friends on Monday evenings a good bit! You cannot beat a burger and fries for $5.99!
The service is great and everyone is very friendly and helpful too!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

There was a band playing and a "greeter" at the counter to collect our money. He should be called the frowner, not greeter. Not a smile or gesture. We wanted to shoot pool but had to wait what seemed forever for the drunk patron to move so the (obviously) only worker could take our information and get us set up to play. The balls kept getting stuck in the pockets when we played so had to keep pulling them out for new games. And I'm sure the table was cockeyed. When it was time to leave, the "greeter" was unable to help us. We had to search around to point out our waitress. After doing so, he said he couldn't help us and just stood there. So I had to chase our server from area to area to get her attention. I gave up as she was moving faster than me and went back. I pointed to her and asked if he could get her since she seemed to be in a server-only area. He said sorry, he couldn't leave where he was standing. So I went over to the area, finally got her attention, and we started to walk back to check out. As we were walking back, I noticed the "greeter" walk away to go talk to some people. So much for not being able to leave. The chili was disappointing. Tasted like a container of salt was poured on it, and it had my stomach upset all night. Very disappointing. The only good thing was seeing the 1 server attending to everyone timely and the drinks were OK. Not sure I'll ever go back.

1  Thank MelGho
Lynnmd, Owner at Hard Times Cafe - Frederick, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you for your review. I was very concerned with your experience and appropriate action was taken to mitigate this in the future. The cue servers now carry pagers that allow us to notify them when their attention is needed. Again, thank you for your feedback as it helps us continually improve our service.

-Patti

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I grew up going to the Hard Times in Montgomery County but now that I'm in Frederick I am excited Hard Times is here! There Chilis are great and all beef and uncrowed from beans and chunks of tomato. They offer beans as an add in! Chili Mac, Chili Dogs, Wings, Chicken Alamo, etc. all good! They also sell their chili seasonings! Plus they have darts and pool tables!!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Had lunch here recently with my son. I had the veg and Cincinnati chile--a little greasy (I was told that one can order it drier). My son had a huge salad. We enjoyed the service--very attentive and kept drinks filled. We will return!