“Less Than Average”

La Paz
Ranked #303 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Paz Mexican Restaurant is located in Historic Downtown Frederick, MD at 51 South Market Street, along the Carroll Creek Promenade. Our family friendly Mexican restaurant features creekside and pet-friendly dining on a spacious patio, handicap accessibility and a colorful & festive atmosphere. Our delicious food and legendary margaritas have made us a Frederick favorite for over 30 years. We hope to see you soon at La Paz!
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had not been back to La Paz for several years because there are just so many better restaurants in Frederick, but I met a friend here and we decided to stay for dinner. I had the fish tacos, which were a piece of fried fish with what appeared to be a dab of cole slaw. My friend got the blackened fish taco, which was a little better, but I can't say that is much to boast about. And the side rice dish - no flavor and tasted like something out of an old container. I was soooo not impressed and will not be back. I greatly prefer Mariachi or, if you are downtown in the Market Street section, Cacique

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Been going to this restaurant for over 30 years once a week. NEVER tire of the food.We used to travel 100 miles round trip on Friday night every week. Finally we moved to Frederick.
We have NEVER found a Mexican Restaurant serving fresh food, NOT something frozen and stuck into a microwave oven Also if you do not like the food the way it is listed on the menu, just ask..... they will fix it any way you want... I do not travel a lot, so maybe there are others using fresh food also, I just have never found them..... The owners of LaPaz, Graham and Marcie are down to earth people and are always putting new items on the menu. Yes, it gets loud, but each floor has a bar and anyone going to a place with a bar can expect some noise.
They must be doing something RIGHT, or they would have closed years ago..... I will continue my weekly trip there for my LaPaz fix!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Very good mexican food. Good service. If the first floor is crouted, the second floor is a very good choice because of the view you have at the windows.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Right on the creek downtown Frederick, LA Paz is one of the gems of town. All of the food is fresh without that microwave slop some places serve. Sit outside and enjoy some of their dishes with crab or fish. Yum

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The restaurant itself is very nice. Big (two floors), clean and bright. But it gets very loud at times and tables are very crowded together. My purse kept getting knocked off my chair by people walking by. I finally had to put it on the floor. Ick.

The food is your average Americanized Mexican. Nothing special. I ordered something called a Mexican Flag. It was presented in a strange way. It was supposed to be served on tortillas but I had to dig around to find the one (small) tortilla buried under the glops of stuff on the plate. Not on the side for filling, and not more than one to carry all the toppings. By the time I got it the lone tortilla was a soggy mess. Kind of gross. The other stuff was okay but I've definitely had better. The margarita was the best part of the meal and even that was just average. Kind of bitter.

Service was okay. Our group was large so that may have had something to do with it. This isn't a restaurant I would choose to go to but the group picked it so I tagged along. For my first experience at a restaurant that is well known in this town, I can't say it was a very remarkable one. Probably won't be back unless that's where the rest of my party wants to go.