“Steer Clear of this Dirty Sloppy Un-Managed Restaurant”
Review of La Paz

La Paz
Ranked #306 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Paz Mexican Restaurant is located in Historic Downtown Frederick, MD at 51 South Market Street, along the Carroll Creek Promenade. Our family friendly Mexican restaurant features creekside and pet-friendly dining on a spacious patio, handicap accessibility and a colorful & festive atmosphere. Our delicious food and legendary margaritas have made us a Frederick favorite for over 30 years. We hope to see you soon at La Paz!
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Traveling from the midwest to MD we stopped off in Frederick for lunch at 1:00 PM Sunday. It was a nice day so we spotted a mexican restaurant with outdoor seating. Walking in I noticed the margaritas are already premixed in large glass containers by the bar. I should have left and avoided the rest of the bland cuisine we were in store for. For years fresh-Mex has been a staple in most chain tex-mex restaurants. Unfortunately this restaurant is slow to join the crowd. Our party of three ordered fish tacos, an enchilada, and sample plate of burittos and tacos. We were given a large basket of tortilla chips with hashy-looking salsa. Not impressive and weird looking. While waiting for our main course I used the dirty restroom. There was debris on the floor and no paper towels in the dispenser. Mind you it is early in the day and it was apparent that the bathroom was never cleaned from the night before. When our food finally arrived I was astonished at the presentation of all plates. My enchilada was brown dried bean paste covering a plate and looked like a baby bowl movement, topped with a greasy round tortilla and pink watery sauce. My sons burrito/taco dish was all co-mingled on his plate and looked as if micro-waved until you could not tell one item from the next. My husbands fish tacos looked like a Mrs. Paul's Fish piece with store bought watery cole slaw. I asked for a manager and about 10 minutes later our waitress with 2 young co-workers showed up. Two were in their young 20's and the other may be 30ish. None of them were managers and we were told that Lindsey the manager will be in at 3PM. I asked for all of our food to be taken off the bill, and got a smart-aleck answer from one of the 20 year olds that we had eaten, so therefore will not get refunded. The only item eaten was one fish taco out of the whole order. They did take my baby bowl movement off the bill-however. This restaurant is rudder-less and needs someone in charge who can make sure food that has died and expired under heat-lamps in the kitchen does not go out.

1  Thank Ryla_M
There are newer reviews for La Paz

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good location, patio is fun and on the creek so beautiful setting. Margaritas are strong but the food leaves much to be desired.

1  Thank Goyde
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Both my husband and myself had a craving for Mexican food. We knew of a restaurant in downtown Frederick but had never been before. The restaurant has on-street parking but there is an inexpensive parking deck within easy walking distance. They are located right next to the developed Carroll Creek. The service was fast, the food was very good, and the prices were reasonable. We both ordered different combinations and found the portion sizes to be generous. We totally enjoyed our meal and plan on going back.

Margaritas or Nachos~ Burritos or Chips & Salsa
Taco Salad or Any of the many platters.

You will have a fun time visiting downtown Frederick, Md. if you stop into La Paz Mexican Restaurant, along the Carroll Creek Promenade! People watching is the mainstay but a lot of history is also part of the equation. Check out the Hessian Barracks at the Md. School for the Deaf or Barbara Fritchie's home~ "Shoot if you must, this old gray head, but spare your country's FLAG, she said!" Baker Park is the place to be for many festivities, especially 4th of July Fireworks. Shop & eat your way up & down Market Street or east & west on Patrick St., too many shops to number........ Come, see for yourself!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place used to be located on the back of another building downtown so you really needed to know where is was to enjoy it. And we did. But now the location is on the main drag downtown. It's a lot bigger and way to noisy. You cannot have a reasonable conversation with dinner guests here. The food is average for Mexican food. They do have a great chili con quese (?) and a very good house salad that is simple with lettuce, cheese, and tomato's but it is really good. My wife and I make a meal out of the dip and the salad. We just get it to go because it so noisy.