“My favorite restaurant by far!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dutch's Daughter

Dutch's Daughter
Ranked #2 of 386 Restaurants in Frederick
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: You come first at Dutch's and it's our mission to maintain the distinction of being your first choice in dining. Whether it's a casual luncheon, romantic dinner for two, that special dinner party, or the ultimate reception, our tradition of quality and excellence is assured. Each day we strive to improve the high excellence already set. All entrees are prepared to your individual order using only the finest quality ingredients and freshest products available. Dutch's Specialties include Seafood, Crab Cakes, Steaks, and Poultry.
Swanton, Maryland
“My favorite restaurant by far!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my go to restaurant when I want a decent meal at a fair price. I am demanding. This restaurant exceeds my demands.

It is spotlessly clean which is something I demand in a restaurant. The kitchen, bathroom and where you eat has to be cleaner than my own home. Very few restaurants meet my expectations in this regard, but Dutch's does..

The staff bends over backwards making sure you have everything you need for a pleasant meal. It has a view of the lake that is spectacular even at night.

Get the potato soup. One wouldn't think such a simple thing could taste so good. A friend in the hospital sent me to Dutch's to get a quart of this soup. It really is that good.

The atmosphere is casual but not on the level of McDonald's. What you wear in an office works here. The lunch crowd seems to be mostly of tourists and businessmen.

There is a hotel next door. Parking is barely adequate because it is on a hill, but they do have handicapped parking next to the entrance. Unfortunately, the handicapped places are often taken by hotel guests. If you have trouble with walking down stairs or a steep slope, you will have difficulty getting in this restaurant. I need the handicap parking and have to go to a different restaurant when it is taken because I cannot navigate the parking lot. Having said that, once in the restaurant the layout is very convenient with adequate space between the tables.

1 Thank Nancy T

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overrated - go downtown Frederick instead.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

8 Observations:
1. Service is always above average.
2. Food is always average. Not creative. Cooked well but without flair or imagination.
3. Food is below average for how much you pay.
4. Location isn't great - nothing else is close by, you must drive to and from your next and prior destination.
5. Older crowd. 40 - 55.
6. The dungeon's pretty cool - outdoor seating is great.

I give three stars for two reasons:
7. People unjustly rave about this place, but it's lack of creativity is sad. You want cream cheese crab dip? Sure. You want strip steak with salt and pepper? Sure. You want a grilled chicken sandwich with store bought honey mustard? No problem. Beyond that forget about it. For the price and the clout, the food should be much, much better.
8. The owners.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
New Jersey
“Scrumptious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

They were voted number one crab cakes for a reason - they are fabulous! Three of us had the crab, one had the salmon and all were happy. We also split two orders of the crab stuffed mushrooms. All the crab was fresh, sweet, juicy and large chunks. Great decor, meal tempo - everything was fantastic. Some people say it is expensive, but to me it was worth ever penny. Since Dutch's has its own huge parking lot - it has the added benefit of great food with no downtown parking hassle. Will we come back - ABSOLUTELY!

Brunswick, Georgia
“50th high school reunion - local high school - dinner here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am sorry, even though these people gave us a room by ourselves, they charged us $80 a person ($160 a couple) for a VERY mediocre,small steam-tray buffet (with no signature crab cakes)..The origin of this place was a small restaurant at the 9-hole American Legion golf course north of the city where there draw was fresh crab soup. Then they built this outrageous monster of an upscale restaurant for wedding receptions and birthdays and reunions where people will spend $60 + each for a mediocre meal in lovely soundings and go home and cuss and forget about it. I am a native of the area.
Frederick is a wasteland for good restaurants. SO ---
Drive to Buckystown just down the road for romantic atmosphere and and a reasonably priced meal at ALEXANDERS.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Lakeland, Florida, United States
“Best crab cakes, yes! Best meal might be a bit of a stretch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was with a large group of nearly two dozen. We were seated quickly in what felt like a private room, so they were off to a great start. But we only had one server so the order-taking process was a bit slow. And although our server was knowledgeable about the wine list and the menu, she knew nothing about the beer choices. I settled for a house Chardonnay.
Our orders came out in good time for such a large group and were mostly correct. I had the Maryland Crab soup and it was wonderful. The menu describes it as spicy, but don't let that put you off, it was more savory than spicy.
For my entree I went with the house specialty, Lump Crab Cakes. There was a 'lighter choice' menu available offering a smaller portion and a lighter price. Although I would certainly have enjoyed devouring the full-size portion of these fantastic crab cakes, the smaller portion was plenty.
Those in our group who didn't have crab cakes all said their meals were good, but I didn't hear anyone say great. So, if you go here, go for the crab cakes!
I don't know I would call this the best meal, I've ever had, but the crab cakes were definitely the best I've ever had or at least close to it. I'll definitely go back for more!