“Very disappointed and underwhelmed”

Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: We welcome you to visit and enjoy our restaurant in downtown historic Frederick located in the Hendrickson Building. We have selected the finest Spanish cuisine complemented with an exclusive wine list. In the heart of historic Frederick, Maryland, Isabella"s has become a favorite destination for local residents and worldwide travelers alike in search of a truly Mediterranean dining experience.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to Isabella's tonight and ordered several different tapas. Their "fried asparagus" was touted as a signature dish and came out flavorless with a gummy crust and no seasoning. They offered to bring us a new order but we decided to wait for our other dishes instead. We ordered a skirt steak entree that was supposed to be medium - it came out well done. We told the waiter and he apologized and once again, offered to get us a new steak. At that point, we were so underwhelmed with our meal, we just asked for the check. The manager came over and apologized for the steak - he had no knowledge that we had also sent back the asparagus. The other dishes we got were just OK (goat cheese flat bread and anchovy bruschetta). We have followed Mike Isabella and really enjoyed his former restaurant in DC called Zaytinya and eat there frequently - Isabella's was a real disappointment. We were offered a free dessert but had already written off this dining experience. We were not offered any future credit nor were we comped anything other than the dishes we returned. There are other tapas places in Frederick that we will go back to - Isabella's is not one of them!

1  Thank Carol C

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Wandered into this place and had the 3 tapas lunch special with a draft IPA from their sister institution, a brewpub. Third tapa never arrived but after 15 min I asked for,it and it was brought. To my tastes the IPA was chemical tasting .

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Isabella's is a must if you live in Frederick, or if you're just visiting. The selection of tapas is great, plenty to choose from for all food groups. Make sure to order the Asparagus Fries, (I forgot the spanish name for them, I believe they're the first option under appetizers.) you will not be disappointed. I don't think I've ever ordered something from here that I haven't liked. Service is great, staff is friendly. If you can during summer, make sure to sit outside, the location is perfect in Frederick's beautiful downtown.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great wine and food. The ceviche is especially good and the variety of dishes is nice. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is lively and casual at the same time. I would recommend this spot for couples and big groups. There are so many choices, there is really something for everyone. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We love the asparagus, the in-house cured salmon, goat cheese fritters, pretty much everything we have tried. They have some decent draft beer from Brewer's alley down the street (who own this restaurant I believe) but just the basics. The atmosphere is pleasant and the staff has always been helpful and friendly...even if they often can't pronounce the names of the tappas items.