“Great Night Out w/Friends”

Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 397 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Bar, Spanish, Mediterranean, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: We welcome you to visit and enjoy our restaurant in downtown historic Frederick located in the Hendrickson Building. We have selected the finest Spanish cuisine complemented with an exclusive wine list. In the heart of historic Frederick, Maryland, Isabella"s has become a favorite destination for local residents and worldwide travelers alike in search of a truly Mediterranean dining experience.
Stephens City, Virginia, United States
“Great Night Out w/Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I recently went to Isabella's with 4 other couples for a night out. Frederick, MD is about an hour drive for us, but we wanted tapas and we had heard Isabella's was where we should go.

Our first impression of the restaurant was great. It had a great atmosphere and we knew from the number of groups dining together that we were going to have a great time. They do have outdoor seating, but not for a party of our size. On a nice evening, the lively feel of downtown Frederick would make for a fun backdrop. Just make sure to call a week or two in advance for a reservation (they fill up fast and we had to postpone our trip here because they couldn't accommodate us 5 days out).

Our server greeted us immediately and took our drink order. Even with 10 people to wait on, service was adequately paced and we never had to wait long for anything. Two different managers even made their way to our table over the course of our 2.5 hour meal to check on us and say hello.

The food at Isabella's is great. We went specifically for tapas, but they do have other entree items on the menu. We ordered a bunch of tapas throughout the course of the night and ate everything family style. Everything was delicious and reasonably priced.

If you are going for tapas, definitely try the bacon-wrapped dates. While one of the pricier tapas (per the amount of food you get), it was the best-tasting item we had, and we ordered several more of them over the course of the meal.

If you're looking for a great place to go eat with friends, don't hesitate any longer - Isabella's will not disappoint. If you're going with a significant other, I'm sure the experience is just as good. We will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank itsryangordon

Arlington, Virginia
“Never Again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Drove to historic downtown Frederick in search of breakfast. Stopped at Isabella's. I passed a Bob Evans on the way. Should have stopped there instead. I ordered the "Chef's Plate." The French toast tasted American. (Thin-sliced loaf bread tasted greasy.) The bacon was fatty and the saltiest I have ever tasted. One bite of the sausage patty was too much! Salt-and-pepper shakers were so greasy I didn't want to handle them. The best thing about the meal was the coffee and even that was just "average." This meal left plenty of room for lunch. I eat out quite often, and I usually enjoy myself. I don't use the phrase "never again" very often in life, but "Never again!"

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ty C
Punta Gorda, Florida, United States
“I loved this restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

On a recent trip, some friends took us to Isabella's for lunch. I was skeptical because I have been to tapas restaurants before and was not impressed by the taste or the portions of the food. I was going to order a sandwich since they did have other things on the menu but my friends talked me into trying the special of three tapas choices for $10.99. I was so glad that I did! The fried asparagus spears were wonderful and the crab dish was so flavorful and fresh. I can't remember the other dish I ordered but I do remember that I really enjoyed all three. Unlike other places I visited the tapas at Isabella's were very generous, so much so that I could not finish all of them. The waitress was very attentive and quite pleasant and the service was quick. I also had a glass of chardonnay that was delightful and complimented the food well.

Cockeysville
“Three servers and still no coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had breakfast here last weekend. There was a server training two other servers? Food was good, but we waited for everything. Had to ask repeatedly for coffee or a spoon or whatever. Timing was off. In the end, a server gave us each a cup of coffee to go which was very nice, but I would have preferred coffee throughout the meal instead.

1 Thank JV G
Cleveland, Ohio
“A true tapas bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Sunday afternoon in August, hot weather outside, cool, relaxing comfort inside, I found Isabella's to be just the right respite. The tapas were perfect, beginning with a few tapas selections for my daughter and myself, then adding others as we sat for the next two hours enjoying the delightful array of foods. Service was very balanced with our server knowing just when to ask what we needed and her timing provided for a relaxed atmosphere. She was also knowledgeable on the wine selections and suggested the perfect pairings for what we ordered.

Though the menu changes according to what is fresh in the Frederick area, here is a sampling of just some of the menu items we enjoyed:

Esparragos Fritos con Salsa Alioli - Panko Crusted Asparagus “Fries” with Smoked Tomato Alioli
Patatas Fritas Caseras con Salsa de Queso de Cabra - Homemade Potato Chips with Cherry Glen Farms Goat Cheese Dip
Salmon del Atlantico a la Malaguena - Sherry Marinated Salmon, Baby Clams, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Saffron Rice and Seasonal Vegetables

2 Thank Barbara B