“A true tapas bar!”

Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Isabella's Taverna & Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 404 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: We welcome you to visit and enjoy our restaurant in downtown historic Frederick located in the Hendrickson Building. We have selected the finest Spanish cuisine complemented with an exclusive wine list. In the heart of historic Frederick, Maryland, Isabella"s has become a favorite destination for local residents and worldwide travelers alike in search of a truly Mediterranean dining experience.
Cleveland, Ohio
“A true tapas bar!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Sunday afternoon in August, hot weather outside, cool, relaxing comfort inside, I found Isabella's to be just the right respite. The tapas were perfect, beginning with a few tapas selections for my daughter and myself, then adding others as we sat for the next two hours enjoying the delightful array of foods. Service was very balanced with our server knowing just when to ask what we needed and her timing provided for a relaxed atmosphere. She was also knowledgeable on the wine selections and suggested the perfect pairings for what we ordered.

Though the menu changes according to what is fresh in the Frederick area, here is a sampling of just some of the menu items we enjoyed:

Esparragos Fritos con Salsa Alioli - Panko Crusted Asparagus “Fries” with Smoked Tomato Alioli
Patatas Fritas Caseras con Salsa de Queso de Cabra - Homemade Potato Chips with Cherry Glen Farms Goat Cheese Dip
Salmon del Atlantico a la Malaguena - Sherry Marinated Salmon, Baby Clams, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Saffron Rice and Seasonal Vegetables

2 Thank Barbara B

Pasadena
“Tapas worth a return trip”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had 15 different tapas dishes for our party of four with Sangaria. Each dish was tasty and we would happily have each again. If there is a downside, some of the dishes had a very, very modest portion (a plus for those watching weight).

Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“Tapas and more”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had never before experienced a tapas restaurant and I really enjoyed it, mainly because I like variety. There are a TON of plates to choose from, almost too many and it was a hard decision. There were a lot of foods I wasn't familiar with but I asked questions. Everything was really good. They suggest you get 3-4 plates per person but I don't believe that's necessary. The prices are still like appetizer prices so you can spend a good bit if you get 4 plates.

• Visited October 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
“Oh. My. Food-Lord.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I went here for the night of our anniversary. I'm one of those people who reads menus like men "read" Victoria's Secret magazines and it took me almost half an hour to decide on the thing to get for an appetizer.

We started with (and ended with, but that's part of the joy) goat cheese and almond balls in a shallot sauce that I still wake up from dreams drooling about. I fully intend to try my hand at these as soon as humanly possible.

Then we followed with shrimp sauteed with garlic in olive and what was described as a seafood stew (shrimp, scallops, and mussels in a rich creamy tomato broth) and a cocoa crusted steak with chocolate port sauce on a bed of garlic potatoes.

I'm hurting thinking about this because I live 5 hours away. It was so good I wanted to cry from the sheer joy of eating it.

Our waitress was really nice and helpful when we were agonizing over what to get and came out to warn us when it was time for last call for the kitchen. I cannot remember her name, but I bless her for her patience.

New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good Spanish cuisine!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

First dining experience this weekend at Isabella's at the recommendation of a friend. Enjoyed cured salmon with white truffle and calamari tapas along with paella and a glass of sangria. Both tapas and paella were plenty for the two of us to share. The paella was outstanding and the sangria was very flavorful (and not on the sweet side). The selection of tapas to choose from was quite extensive! The service was very good as well. We had an early dinner at 5:30 so it was not too busy. We didn't have a reservation and were seated immediately upon arrival. The decor of the restaurant was pleasing to the eye and added to a positive dining experience. Will definitely dine at Isabella's again.

1 Thank Lori E