“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Monocacy Crossing is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 383 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

A pretty setting in the country. Have been there for lunch a couple of times and both occasions I thoroughly enjoyed the food. The atmosphere is pleasant, the menu offers interesting choices. My friend and I shared an appetizer--crab and corn fritters--and we both loved them. Our lunches were very tasty. I always make note of places with great iced tea and Monocacy has really good iced tea. It's a nice relaxing place to have a great meal.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank DJAndrews

Maryland
“Nice menu options, decent food, but could use improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Dined at Monocacy for the first time in March 2014, and was looking forward to a great dining experience as the menu looks to have a variety of different types of food to please almost anyone. Starting off, I ordered the steamed muscles in white wine and garlic broth. The muscles were very good, cooked well and prepared just how they should be, and arrived quickly. For our entree we ordered Horseradish and Green Apple Gastrique topped Salmon, and the crab cake dinner, which also arrived promptly, shortly after we finished our muscles appetizer.
The Salmon was cooked just as ordered and had a good flavor, albeit a little over-powering with the sweet/sugary reduction sauce they used over the potato salad. This made tasting the salmon a bit difficult, although some people may like salmon with a "candied" flavor.
The crab cakes were also good with the old bay aioli, but as other reviewers mentioned, they were *not* lump crab meat, rather shredded crab meat with some filler. This was a little disappointing as I've lived in Maryland most of my life, and have had some great crab cakes over the years. These would rank a 6.5/10, which is reasonable for a shredded crab meat/filler type crab cake. But, the one thing I don't get, is why Monocacy serves the crab cakes with; plain WHITE RICE? Really??? Yes, the 4-5oz crab cakes were served with about 3/4 cup of white sticky rice, and about 10 snow peas in their pods. This is a real head scratcher, as certainly a classy, moderately priced restaurant who apparently focuses on quality should know better than to do. If the Monocacy kitchen staff is looking to fill the consumers stomach with a starch or a side item, they should offer options, such as au gratin potatoes, baked potato, sweet potato, or even mixed greens with a vinaigrette dressing. But, *not* white rice! I'm still taken by that.
The service from our waitress was good, albeit a little rushed feeling. My wife was not certain what she wanted for her entree ( The waitress asked for our appetizer order -and- our entree order at the same time. Which was when she brought out my drink of scotch ) , and the waitress just stood in silence watching her make her decision for about 30 seconds. The better thing to do, would have been to advise my wife to take her time, and she would be back in a few minutes. That didn't happen. However, the bus staff was attentive filling waters as needed and was polite and friendly.
Over all, I would say this restaurant is above average, but not 4 out of 5 stars, more like 7/10 stars. ( Yes folks, that's the difference between a B and a C grade )
To improve, I would have liked to had a friendlier, less rushing server, and perhaps re-vamp their crab cakes recipe to include less filler and more lump meat. But what really lowered the rating was their lack of offering options on the side other than white rice. For a $28 plate meal, that's the best they can do? I will return to try their filet at some point, and will be able to gauge the rating better at that point. Hopefully with a 4 or 5 stars.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Marylandvacationer54
Frederick, Maryland
“Country gem with upscale food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

A quaint older building that deceives you into thinking its just another average country eatery. Every dish they prepare tells you they care about food. Good variety, wonderful flavors and great preparation. This place is unassuming and wonderful if you lave eating out. In good weather the outside tables are a joy, Tucked away in a quiet area and just so pleasant to enjoy with your companion(s). Its hidden just a bit which has only one advantage that otherwise it would be overwhelmed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Fred B
Germantown Maryland
“Monocacy Crossing, great dining at reasonable costs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Family dinner last night for my dad's birthday. As usual the service, food and staff were excellent. I am not going to write a lengthy review other than to say Monocacy crossing is a favorite of mine and I go there whenever I can for a great meal. The total cost including tip for the six of us was $296 which considering what we had, two new York strips, two filet mignons, one pasta dish, one special of rockfish, six appetizers and a few glasses of wine was very, very reasonable!

• Visited January 2014
Walkersville, Maryland
“Birthday Girl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Once again we opted to visit MC for a special occasion - a birthday celebration. Since it was close to Christmas, we called for reservations specifying a table near the wood burning stove. The former enclosed porch at times is chilly in the winter. We arrived and were seated next to the stove as requested. We started with an excellent red wine with a cocoanut shrimp app. My wife had the seafood/dirty rice combination and it was excellent and I had the beef medallions. Service was prompt but not rushed. Near the end of our meal a lady from the next table came over, sat down and introduced herself. My wife taught her children in kindergarten some 35 years ago and wanted to tell her what they were now doing. It made the evening for my wife to be remembered for her teaching abilities. MC is always our choice for special occasions.

• Visited December 2013