“No frills sandwich shop with really good food”
Review of a.k.a. Friscos

a.k.a. Friscos
Ranked #25 of 402 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Texas
“No frills sandwich shop with really good food”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stopped here on the way home from Flying Dog Brewery. The location is within a cinder block structure at an industrial park. Inside...more cinder block.

The set-up is a bit unusual. Instead of a kitchen in the back, they also have a center island type of prep station where you place your order as you enter. They immediately offer samples of "exploded baked potatoes" (mashed potatoes with fixings directly added) and the soup of the day. The menu is extensive so it takes some time to order on the first visit. I got the baja sandwich and shared an "exploded baked potato" and mushroom soup with my spouse. The baja sandwich is a chicken curry salad with sprouts on a baguette. Actually it was quite tasty and I would order it again if I lived in the area. The soup was quite delicious and well-made. The "exploded baked potato" was flavorful and very hearty. Given how expensive everything was on our visit to Maryland it didn't strike me that $7-8 was a lot to spend on a sandwich. I do know that our food was very good. And for that I recommend them.

If atmosphere is your thing, this is probably not the place for you. If you want good food above all else and have a hankering for a sandwich, it's worth the try.

Visitor tip: there is a liquor store next door with a great selection of local and craft beer at really good prices.

• Visited December 2013

Frederick, Maryland
“First time outing - Not impressed (3 out of 5)”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you've never heard of this place before, odds are you will never even find it as its well hidden in an industrial warehouse type area south of Frederick in Ballenger Creek, MD. Really, there's no other dining choices around, and unless you're renting a storage unit or possibly taking someone to gymnastics training, you're not likely to cross paths.

Anyways, I figured I stop by here for the first time, give it a try, and pick up some lunch to go. There was no wait when I arrived so I placed my order right after I grabbed the free sample of the soup of the day from one of the servers. I ordered a Lombard giant sandwich ($8.00) and a medium Exploded Potatoes ($3.00) for myself. Apparently, this is a very popular item as just about every male customer after me ordered this same thing. I also ordered a Roasted Pepper Wings ($8.95) for my wife and a Buttered Noodles with Sprinkley Cheese kids meal ($3.25) for my son. The kids meal is a good value as it also came with a cookie and bottle of juice.

It took about 15 minutes for my order since I had to wait on the wings (made to order) to be ready (Note for next time - call ahead to place order). While I was standing around waiting, I had the chance to give the place a look over. It had three booths and about a dozen small tables with a bit of a Florida beach cafe vibe to it. There was music playing all around in this warehouse cafe setting, and people walking about freely with craft beers in hand.

Finally, the food shows up and I'm out the door on my way home to try out the selections. The Lombard was giant as stated. I couldn't eat it all in one sitting. I also chose to warm it up as I prefer my subs hot. It tasted better that way, but still wasn't anything I was crazy about. The exploded potatoes were different, but $3.00 for a little cup? I don't know. A little pricy. Overall, I wasn't too happy with my selections. I was expecting more. Perhaps, I'll return and try something different like a selection with Wicked Wolf sauce. That sounds interesting. Right now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what all the craze is about here.

• Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friscos, our new go-to restaurant”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We just had the pleasure of trying this fabulous hidden gem, and I am so glad that we ventured off of the beaten path. From the moment that we walked in, we loved the whole vibe of this restaurant. The staff was welcoming and helpful (they handed us samples of the not to be missed exploded potatoes, who wouldn't love that). The menu is extensive, but the staff handled our questions, and gave us time to make the tough decisions as to what to try for dinner, and there were so many delicious options. The food was quickly prepared while we had a chance to chat with the enthusiastic and gracious owner. We tried a lot of items, and while we all had our favorites, everything that we tried, was excellent. The kids gave the mac and cheese 2 thumbs up. I had the curry chicken salad, which was not only fresh, but also packed with flavor. The bread was light, yet hearty; I don't even know how that is possible, but Friscos made it work. My husband had the Lombard; the hint of garlic and roasted red peppers truly enhanced the beef. We split the skinny green pizza, which was pure cheesy goodness, with vegetables so fresh, that you'd swear that they came from the garden out back, but you know that they didn't because this awesome place is housed in an industrial park (don't let the location put you off). We did not have the pleasure of trying any of the beer or wine, but that is just 1 more reason to come back. It is so refreshing to find a restaurant that not only serves creative and delicious food, but also has a staff that is helpful and professional; they seemed truly happy to be part of such a fun and innovative restaurant. Bravo a.k.a. Friscos!

• Visited November 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Fun environment and good food”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I've been there twice now and have been happy both times. The staff is very friendly and the food is pretty good. The exploded potato side is a must have. I've tried the Lombard and the Santa Fe and both were very tasty and generous portions. I'll be going back again. The only down side is they close at 7 PM Mon - Thur so I can only go on weekends.

• Visited October 2013
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
“Great Sandwiches”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great Sandwiches tried the Baja Sandwich best sandwich I had ever. the restaurant is small, but it has a nice atmosphere.

Visited September 2013