“Free Vets Dinner (3.4 out of 5)”
Review of Olive Garden

Olive Garden
Ranked #58 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We cashed in on the Veteran's Day Freebies with a free dinner for veterans and a 10% discount off for veterans' families at Olive Garden (active duty military get 10% off all month of November here). I ordered the most expensive entree on the "special menu" which was the Seafood Alfredo (normally $15.99, mine was $0 for being a vet). What an excellent value and way to show how proud this restaurant is of our nation's veterans and their families! We found no other place that honored the families. This was why we chose to eat here, and why we waited 50 minutes to be seated on a cold November evening.

The Seafood Alfredo dish was a pasta with a few pieces of shrimp and lots more pieces of scallops drenched in a creamy Alfredo sauce. It was so-so. Nothing I'd order on a usual outing to this establishment, but I gave it a try since there wasn't much of a selection from the "special menu". This was washed down with a Corona beer ($4.99). What we did find to be quite good, though, was the new Spicy Calamari ($9.29 before discount).

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Good Service however the salad was not fresh at all. Lots of brown leaves.
Otherwise, service was good and my mail meal was good. I appreciated the lower calorie/healthier options.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We visited here because of the all you can eat pasta special and hadn't tried the Frederick location yet. Usually there is a line around the building! We got right in this day and seated and orders taken pretty quickly. I knew what I wanted, having eaten the same two days before, and they offered us a wine tasting here too. The food is consistent from location to location and didn't taste a bit different than before but was still fresh tasting and plentiful. The manager on duty even came by each table after we finished and thanked us for coming in. He seemed sincerely glad to have us there. The table was cleared fast and we were out and onto the next thing. No dessert for me today!

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a party of 8 and called to see wait time. Advised no wait. Asked about reservations for 8 people and was asked for my name. When we arrive 15 minutes later we were told 30-35 minute wait and they didn't put us on the list because it wasn't over 10 people. Spoke with manager who said tables leaving and would have us seated in 20-25 minutes. After 30 minutes I checked again and we were told 5 minutes. We then walked across the parking lot and enjoyed an outstanding Chinese Buffet at half the price I would have spent at Olive Garden.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Okay so I wasn't going to do reviews on chain eateries as they are the same everywhere and usually a cut below a stand alone restaurant. Then it occurred to me that I do eat here and I do like their food. When I ate there last night I knew I was going to do this review so I tried to load the deck by ordering my favorite dish 'shrimp and chicken carbonara'. In the past I have found this establishments old world recipes were super. I just love their carbonara sauce, their italian sausage is superb, their 4 cheese sanduto sauce is to die for, their garlic chicken is excellent and their generous refillable salad bowl is the perfect compliment to all of their meals. Unfortunately not all of the chefs paid attention in learning how to prepare all of the dishes. Last night was a perfect example of how an award winning recipe can become less than ordinary in the hands of an unskilled chef. The shrimp were slightly under cooked and lacked seasoning, the chicken which is supposed to be in uniform sized pieces the same size as the shrimp came in jumbo hunks, the pasta which is supposed to be linguini was thick spaghetti, and the carbonara sauce was really skimped upon. The dish was presented to me as a single glued together blob instead of a magnificent feast of delicious surprises hidden in a bowl of pasta. Next time I'm going back to my Westminster branch where I know the chef has been properly trained.