“Good times goo food”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Everybody was having fun enjoying the food and company of friends or family. The service was prompt and attentive. Our food came out hot and tasted as advertised. The drink menu is for all tastes. I had ribs which I finished completely while my wife had a specialty salad which she liked.
We will make Madrones a regular stop for happy hour or a casual night out.
We went on a Friday evening and expect a wait unless you can find a spot in the open seating bar area.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Hubby and I ate dinner here a few months ago and although it was good we weren't blown away. However, this past weekend we decided to stop by for lunch and it was amazing. I got the bacon cheeseburger and it was one of the best burgers I have EVER had. The burger was flame grilled and tasted like campfire, cooked well done but was still moist and delicious. The fries were crispy and tasty. Our server was very pleasant and helpful, even impressed my often-skeptical husband. Husband had the Biltmore chicken sandwich and his plate was clean. The appetizer bread they bring to your table is warm, light and fluffy. It even has a slight sweetness to it that reminds me of donuts for some reason. Total bill for 2 including drinks and tips was $46. I would call it fine-dining bar. We will definitely head back for the burger soon, I just have to have another one.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was our first visit there on a Thursday evening.We were seated at a high table near the bar..perhaps that is why it was so noisy. 5 in our group Lovely decor...not a large menu with many options. My husband and i shared a crab dip appetizer- excellent. Our entrees were kind of slow in coming we thought but then in some places they come before the salad is finished so..I chose Asian Salmon with Teriyaki sauce and vegetables. Excellent! My husband had the Seafood Explosion. All excellent. One tried a hamburger and had to send it back- it was raw..still mooing! The manager personally brought the new one out with apologies. This one was very good. Good fired too. Another in our group got the Penne chicken rustica.. I think she was not sure if the chicken was fully cooked. Over altho..a nice place- I would go back. Moderate dress code- no torn clothes or shirts with offensive language. jeans ok Dinner for my husband and I was $59 including 2 beers and an appetizer. Not bad.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We tried Madrones a couple of weeks ago, nice atmosphere, good food but sadly the server we had was poor. I ordered a "Loaded Potato" supposed to have cheese, and other toppings. The server brought a plain baked potato with butter and sour cream. When I asked him if it was a "Loaded Potato" he said "I hope I didn't make a mistake!" then he checked his order pad and said he did not and the don't worry I wasn't charged any additional for the toppings? The topping were not an extra charge they were included with the Loaded Potato! He never offered to get the toppings, or replace the potato, just acted like oh well no big deal, then just left the table? He did remember to bring the bill in which they didn't forget to charge me for the Loaded Potato that was never loaded! I gave him a 15% tip and my wife wrote a note on the back of the check stating that even though they stiffed us on the toppings we didn't stiff him on the tip. She laid it with the note turned up, he came and picked it up, never said anything just walked off.

I had the receipt on the counter a few days later and noticed a phone number so I though I would call to tell them about my experience. There auto phone menu doesn't have any options for anything other than reservations, directions, employees and vendors? I selected "Employees" and the person that picked up stated he was a manager. I explained to him what happened, he said he appreciated me calling so they can train as required and he offered a gift certificate, I declined, he insisted so I gave him my address and it was a good thing that I didn't insist on some compensation cause guess what? I never received a certificate or anything from them. Poor server and equally poor management, if the management sets examples like that no wonder the server doesn't care! There are plenty of dining options in Frederick that provide good service and are well managed. I understand the server problem, that's why is tipped him, it was a kitchen mistake that he did not handle well but the management stating that they were going to do something and never following up is sad.

1  Thank bpm5515
Reviewed November 3, 2013

You go there as a parent with high hopes, knowing they must have practiced and practiced, and then the curtain rises to something not sounding right. This place looks good from the outside, even looks good on the inside, but behind the curtain lies the problems.

We have been there a number of times, hoping they have found a way to bring the food, the service, the atmosphere, and experience all in tune....still not there. First the service. They have a slick way of taking your reservation and say they will text you when your table is ready. So I am all 'Best Buy' looking at my iPhone waiting for my text, waiting, waiting, and suddenly the hostess who is 5 foot nothing, 75 pounds wet, announces my name like a cattle auctioneer at a decibel range just a point or two less than a jet engine. So much for technology and hello early deafness. Of course 15 minutes later, my text comes through....

Next the atmosphere, yup it's loud. It's loud arriving, it's loud during, and it's loud leaving. Not the place you want to propose marriage and hope to hear an answer.

Next the food, inconsistent. The intent is good but the execution and delivery is off and continues to be so. I ordered the roast chicken and it came out brittle dry. It is served broken apart so that you do not have to operate on it like a surgeon just to get to a piece of white meat. Since the chicken was overdone, the bones were brittle and so every other bite, my chicken contained a small piece of bone. Big enough to not want to swallow it but small enough that removing it from the 'oral equation' was not the most romantic looking move to make. On more than one occasion my wife asked if I was practicing to be a dentist or if I was looking for loose change in my mouth....gotta love 18 years of marriage and the brutal honesty that emerges from it.

Overall the experience was not all bad but not all good. We went there hoping to have the evening flow but instead felt like we just listened to a band play loud and out of tune. So does one blame the band or the conductor?

-Paperman

Been to Madrones? Share your experiences!