“A casual dinner spot”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A casual dinner spot”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I really like this place and I think it gives Bonefish a run for it's money where seafood is concerned. It was a bit of a rough start at first when the first couple times we went, they had a ton of hostesses, but no order. Plus, our first waitress completely forgot to put our appetizer order in, so we never got our crab dip. However, the manager more than made up for it by offering us a voucher for a free appetizer when we come back next time.

I have actually been here three times, so I can comment on quite a few entrees. I have had the twelve layer dip, the crab dip, and the spinach dip. The twelve layer dip was pitiful for a table of four and they served it in a sad little soup bowl. We all looked at each other when it arrived, obviously all thinking, is this a joke? With a name like twelve layer dip I was expecting something a little more epic than this. The crab dip is basically cream of crab soup (served in a soup bowl and all), it is a huge amount of dip and I would say pass on this, it is just way too much and the flavor is very run of the mill. Lastly, I have had the spinach dip, this is probably the best of the three i have had in taste, but I would still skip it. It is served in a...surprise, soup bowl and again, it's huge and the taste is nothing new, Plus, the spinach dip is too much cream, so much so that they should really serve it with salsa, we ended up asking for hot sauce.

I got the smoked salmon appetizer as my entree the first time I went and it was delicious. I wanted a no frills piece of salmon and this was the perfect item to order. The smoked flavor of the salmon was really great and not overpowering at all. The thin toast triangles served with the salmon are great because they are toasted to perfection. The chefs dressing they serve with this appetizer is good, but I don't liketo apply too much to such a nice piece of salmon, especially when the taste stands on it's own.

The second time I went I has the smoked salmon salad. This salad was very very good. Our waiter was very helpful in the fact that when I ordered this he said, "Just to inform you we do wait till the salmon cools down a bit to place it on the salad so the heat does not wilt the greens". I thought that was very thoughtful that he told me that and also that they take the time to time the placement of the salmon on the salad, so you don't end up with wilted greens in your salad. All the components of this salad worked well and when you build the perfect bite, with the walnut, a couple currants, the perfect tang of the balsamic onions, and the smoked salmon that they do so well, it is just great.

As for the other diners I was with I did take nibbles of their meals, the steamed veggies are perfect, the grilled portabello and warm goat cheese pasta dish is really good, the sun dried tomatoes in it paired with the caramelized onions, zuchini and portabello mushroom all work so well together. The mashed potatoes have the the red skins in them (yum!). My dad raves about the baked stuffed shrimp and the seafood explosion, he usually alternates between the two. the beer selection is definitely vast, my brother was excited to see they have small craft warning.

I have never had room left for dessert, so I cannot comment on that.

• Visited April 2013

“Welcoming Atmosphere, Unique Food and Drink Selections, Good Service”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is not a chain restaurant, so offerings are distinct. Very broad selection of drinks, including specialty beers. Prices are a tad on the high side, but you get what you pay for. I had the rockfish seafood daily special and my wife had filet mignon. Both were excellent. Side dishes were excellent, as well. Server, Rachel, was very personable and attentive. We will definitely make this one of our once or twice per month outings.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor management”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Madrones great atmospher food pricey Happy Hour misleading price discounted when ordering at the bar not the tables how do you eat an appetizer standing up?
Manager claimed that people take advantage so had to change policy but did not handle the inquiry about ordering. Manager was condensending and rude.

1 Thank Rudydog4
Damascus, Maryland
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Been here twice in past few months and was not disappointed. Everyone in our party was pleased with their meal although we thought the alcoholic drinks were a tad pricey. Cozy with a warm fireplace and smell good atmosphere. Nice bar area, menu selections ok but not terrific, food and service was good. Will likely go back when in the area but not a place I would call one of my favorites that I just have to hit often.

• Visited March 2013
“Manager was rude”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went to Madrone's with coworkers for happy hour. We were not allowed to order from the happy hour menu unless we were sitting AT the bar. Unfortunately, sitting at the bar was not convenient since there were 8 of us, and we were there to enjoy each others company. I asked the manager if we could order from the happy hour menu anyway (the appetizers are very good and reasonably priced), but he initially said no. When we explained that the first time we had visited the restaurant (there were 12 of us then) we were given the opportunity to order from the happy hour menu. His response was that he would let us again, but only this LAST TIME, to make me happy since I was trying to make him feel bad. I really wasn't trying to make him feel bad...why would I do that? He said that I was, and then he asked me my name so that he would have it documented that he did what he could to make us happy. At the end, we didn't get the price break anyway, and it turned out to be very expensive. We didn't push it; we just paid and left. We had a good time talking, the food was good, and our server was excellent. But the attitude of the manager was the damper that made our happy hour not so happy.

• Visited March 2013