“Food Excellent, service lacking”
Review of Madrones

Madrones
Ranked #30 of 424 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to Madrones for my birthday with a few friends. We ordered a variety of items from Steak, Burgers, Seafood, spinach aritichoke dip and birthday cake. The baked potatoes were served with honey butter instead of real butter. We asked for regular butter and were brought more honey butter. Let me tell you that honey butter does not go well on a baked potatoe. One of our party members ordered a caesar salad, and it came out with no dressing. After our meal I told the waitress that it was my birthday and that I would like a piece of their famous chocolate cake. The cake was delivered and no birthday candle :< They do give you a complimentary piece of cheesecake, which I was not offered. When the check came it was split 3 ways. The waitress divided up the appetizer that "I " ordered and the piece of birthday cake that "I"ordered. I was pretty embarassed by this, but did not want to make a big deal about it. I called the next day to give them some feed back and they did NOT want to hear about any of the issues that I was calling about. They did not even answer the phone professionally. The answered the phone "HELLO" I said is this Madrones? She said "yes". I asked to speak to a manager and she asked very rudely "who is calling?" I gave her my name and she transferred me. I do not think the person who then took the call was really the Manager, if he was, shame on him. He did not want to hear any of the issues. And couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. I would think that a new restaurant would want to hear about how they could improve. And possibly offer some kind of discount for a future visit. I will definitely wait awhile before going back. The food was good enough to go back, but I really expect better services when paying these prices.

1  Thank piercetd

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the med-well bacon cheeseburger and fries and it was delicious- melt in your mouth. The burger was a little closer to medium IMO but nonetheless was great. The restaurant reminds me off a nice hotel bar/restaurant or a lodge. My only complaint was some of the staff were rather rude- a few questions were asked and they couldnt be bothered so for that reason, i'm not sure I'd make it one of my go-to destinations. Food and drink wise- yes.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

In reading the vast majority of reviews, one would think this is a horrible restaurant. The truth is it is a brand new establishment that is likely working out most of the issues that earlier diners had. My wife, daughter and I enjoyed dinner there last night -- and our experience was very enjoyable. When we arrived at 6:45 we were told the wait would be 45 minutes to an hour and the staff would gladly text us when our table was ready. So we left and did some shopping and came back about 40 minutes later. We were shown to our table at 8pm -- a comfy booth bordering the large bar area. It was a bit on the loud side but not overly so. We ordered drinks (me a draft from the nice selection of craft brews on tap, a Margaretta for my wife, and a smoothie for my daughter. We also ordered the 12 layer dip appetizer which was very good and obviously freshly made. We ordered our meals -- Drunken Ribeye for me (excellent cut and cooked perfectly), Baked stuffed shrimp (stuffed with a generous portion of crab imperial made with lump crabmeat), and Fried Chicken Tenderloins for my daughter. The food was very good and the portions ample. The Waiter was very attentive but not overly so. All in all a very enjoyable experience. We will be back.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The new place in town.We went for a birthday on a monday night. It wasn't crowed and our party of five was seated right away. They tried to cram us into a four top booth but we asked for a larger table; they put us in a six top booth which was a much better fit. The kid menu was very affordable with both beverage and desert. The sauce on the kid pasta was bland with no spices whatsoever so we asked for some extra cheese to give it some flavor. You know when a kid says "this doesn't taste very good" you are in trouble. Two people had prime rib which was very flavorful. I asked for a 16 oz. rare end cut ($24.00). It wasn't quite rare, but with an end cut i guess it is hard to tell. The other 2 folks had in house - ground 10 oz. burgers, that came with fries ($9.90) .They were large and tasty and a nice brioche roll. The fresh rolls were very good, but the butter was so sugar sweet it took your breath away... we will ask for plain butter next time we go back. For the birthday girl they said they normally offer free slice of cheese cake, but they were out and our server didn't know what they were offering in its place. She came back in about 10 min. with a frying pan shaped ceramic bowl with a large warm walnut choc chip cookie with ice cream and whipped cream on top.... And it was wonderful!
All in all a beautiful place, with overall good food. The craft beer selection was awesome with 24 great beers on tap.... Including some real gems...and not a bud or a miller lite to be seen. The prices were a little higher than the norm but i think it was probably worth it for a nice evening out. I'm going to try a happy hour next week and see how they do!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went to Madrone's for dinner tonight. I loved the atmosphere. It was almost like going to a lodge. Nice fireplace, low lighting, great place for a conversation and very relaxing. I ordered the chicken sandwich but it wasn't cooked thoroughly. It was still a little raw so I sent it back. That's primarily why I rated my experience as poor. I sent the sandwich back and after a long wait, they brought me another one that was fully cooked. Once the chicken was cooked, it was delicious, as were the fries. I was rather surprised that the waitress never apologized nor did a manager ever come over and my meal wasn't comped. If not for that, I would have rated it as very good or excellent because the food was good and the atmosphere was very enjoyable.

Been to Madrones? Share your experiences!