“What a surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ayse Meze

Ayse Meze
Reserve with OpenTable
Ayse Meze is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 385 Restaurants in Frederick
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Patrick and North East
Frederick, Maryland
“What a surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had heard unfavorable things about this much anticipated restaurant. They were so untrue! I really wanted a good restaurant in this terrific location on the east side of Frederick. I think we have a winner.
One of 4 other restaurants owned by a leading restaurant group in town, Ayse (pronounced eye-shay) is another great example of the diverse dining in Frederick. Ayse Meze offers small plates of a huge range of items sorted on the menu in various groups from nuts & olives, soups & salads, vegetable meze, skewers, and lots more.
The xtemia scallops were terrific, as were the specials that night. I had tezpisti for dessert, a flourless walnut cake that was terrific. My husband is a baklava snob and he refused to share even one bite of his baklava plate! Guess I'll have to order it for myself next time. And there will be a next time and several after that.
The restaurant was quite full. We dined at 6:45 because I failed to make reservations in time to get a standard seating. When we left around 8:15, there were still people waiting to be seated and the bar dining was full.

1 Thank Karen J

• Turkish first
Frederick, Maryland
“disappointing to say the least”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hard to believe that this is currently the #1 ranked restaurant in Frederick! My wife and I recently joined another couple and were very disappointed. We had 9PM reservations on a Saturday. The place was a little more than half full, but the waiter was horrible. He was curt, short on explanations, and tried to rush us throughout the entire evening. In a tapas-like restaurant, the waiter needs to check up on the table occasionally to see if the diners want another round of dishes, but we had to make an effort to get his attention.
Food was generally good, but portions smaller than usual (check out Isabella's a few blocks away to see how the competition does things) and the prices high for what we got.
This is a good location with a fine floor plan. The kitchen has pumped out thousands of great meals over the decades under different owners/managers. Maybe it will improve, but I doubt that I will be back to see.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Baltimore, MD
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I went here with 2 girlfriends for dinner. We shared 6 dishes, plus had wine and dessert and the price was totally reasonable. The food was awesome! We loved the dip platter, dolmades, and brussel sprouts in particular. It is a very comfortable restaurant, too, despite being open and airy. I am so excited that my favorite cuisine is now the feature of a local, affordable, and easily accessible restaurant. I can hardly wait to go back!

Annapolis, Maryland
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My daughter took my husband and me here for lunch as a thank you for babysitting. We loved it! We all ordered different dishes so we could share and have a variety of Mediterranean tastes. I had the moussaka, my favorite, but everything was wonderful. The atmosphere was so pleasant and the service was friendly and attentive. We're not from Frederick but it would be worth the drive to come here again.

“From a vegetarian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I often patron Mediterranean restaurants because I can find more than once menu item I can eat. The spinach pie, zucchini fritters, and falafel were awesome. It was a little odd that every single dessert (maybe besides a fruit sorbet) had nuts in them. As someone with a severe nut allergy, I was exempt from an entire course. Not ALL Greek desserts have walnuts or almonds.

The server was very nice, but he was so busy that he forgot to enter a few things I ordered. Really wasn't a big deal. I'll definitely go back when I'm in Frederick.

• 4 of 5 stars