“Sorry, we're out of that!”
Review of Mimi's Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: It Is Over 1 Yr Old You Should Have It
Reviewed April 24, 2013

When we saw this restaurant in a Frederick mall area we thought it was a local place. We were very surprised to learn that this restaurant was part of a chain that is in over 20 states. Their menu suggests that the restaurant offers French food, but I think somewhere along the line the menu changed to more standard and basic fare that you would find in most American restaurants across the US. The only French items listed on the menu were a hamburger titled The French Quarter; A French Dip; and a couple of Quiches. Coq au Vin was listed but that was one of the items that were not available. Located in an upscale strip mall, the restaurant is housed as a standalone building. There is a small bar area to the left when you enter and the setting was comfortable. We were seated in a booth and order cocktails. The waitress returned shortly to advise us that they were out of the brand of drink we ordered so we gave her our second choice. The wine list was poor so we decided to have a second cocktail with dinner. Shortly after ordering the second cocktail the waitress returned to tell us that they were now out of the second brand and wanted to know if we wanted something else, but we declined and waited for dinner to be served. Ordering dinner had been a minor challenge. Before we ordered the waitress mentioned that they were out of two of the entrée items on the menu. My wife ordered a four cheese stuffed ravioli and house salad. I ordered a soup, which was described as a house specialty, and filet of sole. I also had to make a different selection on the sides since they were out of one of the sides I tried to order. We waited for some time to be served and when we were the waitress had forgot to serve the soup and salad. When I mentioned that she should be sure not to include the soup on the bill she simply shrugged, as though forgetting an order was not big deal, and said okay. My wife’s pasta and the sauce was dry, as though it has been sitting under a heating lamp for some time. My fish was sautéed and just okay, and the steamed spinach was not very hot and fortunately there was not very much of it on the plate (perhaps two tablespoons), and the potatoes au gratin were not very tasty at all. Simply stated it is a shame that the quality of the food, the quality of the service, and the prices do not compliment the décor of the restaurant. As mentioned we had not been to a Mimi’s Café before and based on experience at this restaurant we will not try another.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice atmosphere. It is 'fine dining' with a 'casual comfortable feel' the food is very good, staff was very pleasant.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been to a couple Mimi's and this one previously. It must have new management as my experience was terrible this time, After seating we waited >15 for a server to appear. It took another 15 to get drinks and wine was less than 1/3 a glass. They don't have top label wine and for the price, that's ridiculous, Our meals took another 20 after appetizers finished. Steak was riddled with large lines of grissle. Cook had to see it raw and should have rejected. We had to ask for bread. They don't offer even at dinner anymore we were told. An hour or so dinner took over 3 bours due to server, who never asked to refill dronks. If Mimi's is trying to reduce costs by lowering quality and quantity au revoir!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recentlyI had dinner at Mimi's Cafe and was very disappointed. I was visiting from out of state and my friends took me there as they liked the place. I ordered a glass of wine and when I got my glass It was very light on the wine. I mentioned this to my server and she did not respond. the server stepped away but when she returned I told her to take the wine back as I was not paying $8.25 for so little wine. She took the glass back to the bar and later returned with a normal pour, I kept the glass of wine but could not help feel they were cutting corners. The other issue that occurred was it took forever to get our bill as their computers went down. What ever happened to good old fashion math.? To top that off the manager was not very nice, and had an attitude. I'm not gong back!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have enjoyed Mimi's in other places, but tonight was a terrible experience. Service was poor and food mediocre. To top it off, near the end of our meal our server informed us that their computers were down and until they figured out what to do, we would need to wait for the check. Like this never happens at any other restaurants? We waited for 20-30 minutes. We were then informed it would be done manually. Another 15 minutes and a hand written bill was presented. We tried to pay with a gift card plus cash. Another 10-15 minutes and we are told they cannot use the gift card and would be doing the old carbon type credit slips. We explained that we would feel much better leaving the cash and the gift card than all our credit card information. The manager told us tersely that we could not do that as he would not be able to close out for the night when the computers came up if the card did not go through. Really!! There is much less chance of a gift card being declined than a credit card. We even offered proof it was purchased that evening and could verify the value. It was obvious that he was very frustrated and whatever concern he had for his customers' experience had evaporated. Mimi's needs to cover these situations better in their manager training.