“Not Your Average Pizza Shop”
Review of Coal Fire Pizza

Coal Fire Pizza
Ranked #130 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Opened within the last six months.
Description: Opened within the last six months.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We've been here a number of times, including May 18, and my thoughts are consistent with each of our visits. Pizza quality is good, but they go light on the meat toppings for some reason. Pizza crust is always nice and crispy, and the quality of the toppings is good. They give you three different sauces to choose from, from non-spicy to spicy, so they have something to please different pallets. They have an amazing selection of domestic beers, not only the traditional brews but a huge variety of microbrews - this is unique for pizza shops that I've been to. They also have a nice wine selection. Service has always been good. Atmosphere is nice, too, if a tad on the noisy side. They also have a number of sandwiches, pasta (mac and cheese looks great) and a nice little bar, so this is a full-service restaurant (except for dessert, which they do not offer).

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I usually don't like thin crusty pizza but Coal Fire's was crispy and I liked it very much. I had there signature sauce which was just slightly sweet and very tasty. I will go back.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've been to Coal Fire a few times, even taking guests on one of those visits because they wanted to try it. But I have yet to be impressed. The service is not that great. The pizza is not that great. The subs are decent but there are better places to get subs. The kid's menu is just odd. Fries are good. But with so many great pizza and sandwich places in Frederick I won't be making another trip to Coal Fire. There are just places I like much much better.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have only eaten there once and it was so bad, I will not be back. They had a huge number of waitstaff and other bored-looking people hanging around with not much to do. The pizza was disappointing. There are far better pizzas to be had in Frederick (e.g. Brewer's Alley, Ilforno, Pizza Blitz, etc etc - even Lido's).

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Their pizza is delicious. It is coal-fired so the crust is thin and very crispy. The sauce is different from most pizzas. We tend to get the signature sauce which is a little sweeter. I've had the spicy sauce in the past. While it is somewhat spicy, it tends to kick in later but it's not an unbearable spicy. Service is usually very good and attentive. Very nice food and experience.